Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

I was going to Gateshead v Blyth because I missed the thrill of watching football in a concrete lavvypan but there was a distinct lack of activity when I got there. I'd checked the game was on when I left Edinburgh at 11 but the pitch was apparently waterlogged.

Anyway a dash to Spennymoor v Darlington. I'd been to both grounds before but didn't realise Darlo had such a big support. Tickets were sold out but Spennymoor official let me in when I pleaded I'd come down from Edinburgh and was in no way a Darlington fan 

A crowd of 2400 apparently which according to Clownshoes Leitch probably means County Durham will be wiped out by Omicron next week. It was an entertaining game, two red cards, a penalty, a pagar, some odd refereeing, a nice pie.

Spennymoor is a wee ex-mining town and they've come up in the world in recent years- made me think of Kelty Hearts in some ways. Darlo fans were a bit sniffy towards them but I think it's worth a visit.

IMG_20211226_151812417.thumb.jpg.4e772d1c06b6c27ebfa53acbb7110bed.jpg

I was going to Gateshead v Blyth because I missed the thrill of watching football in a concrete lavvypan but there was a distinct lack of activity when I got there. I'd checked the game was on when I left Edinburgh at 11 but the pitch was apparently waterlogged.
Anyway a dash to Spennymoor v Darlington. I'd been to both grounds before but didn't realise Darlo had such a big support. Tickets were sold out but Spennymoor official let me in when I pleaded I'd come down from Edinburgh and was in no way a Darlington fan 
A crowd of 2400 apparently which according to Clownshoes Leitch probably means County Durham will be wiped out by Omicron next week. It was an entertaining game, two red cards, a penalty, a pagar, some odd refereeing, a nice pie.
Spennymoor is a wee ex-mining town and they've come up in the world in recent years- made me think of Kelty Hearts in some ways. Darlo fans were a bit sniffy towards them but I think it's worth a visit.
IMG_20211226_151812417.thumb.jpg.4e772d1c06b6c27ebfa53acbb7110bed.jpg

Good to see The Quakers with still a decent following despite the efforts of George Reynolds and his 25,000 seater stadium (that he named after himself almost 20 years ago) to replace their old ground ‘The Feethams. A proper old football stadium on the river Skerne that sat back to back with the Cricket ground.
The unfortunate story of a ‘dodgy owner’ with a huge ego embarking upon a vanity project (however well meant initially) that would eventually destroy such a long established community club. Believe the Darlington Arena is now used for Rugby Union and ironically the last time Darlington FC got a whiff of promotion their current accommodation wasn’t up to standard.

I went to the Reynolds Arena. Rattling about in a 25000 seater stadium and we ended up next to the Morecambe fans with the drum..

Been to the new ground too. It's shared with egg chasers but one of the original sheds from Feethams has been rebuild there.

Was also at the Edinburgh University v Spartans game. Big turnout on Futbology tonight, 13 checked in so far, including a guy who seems to have travelled from Italy to watch the Stoneyburn and Edinburgh University double header. Even the Romans never got as far as Stoneyburn!

Two good goals tonight. Was worth risking frostbite for that alone.

8 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Was also at the Edinburgh University v Spartans game. Big turnout on Futbology tonight, 13 checked in so far, including a guy who seems to have travelled from Italy to watch the Stoneyburn and Edinburgh University double header. Even the Romans never got as far as Stoneyburn!

Two good goals tonight. Was worth risking frostbite for that alone.

The village of Petri Flavium is south of the Antonine Wall so perhaps the Romans did make it there, took one look and declared Veni, vidi, volo in dominum redire.

Peffermill is down the road from Bam Towers and Uni's manager was my mate when young but I couldn't be arsed going out tonight- especially as I believe the cafe with the delicious home baking is currently out of action, alas.

15 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Was also at the Edinburgh University v Spartans game. Big turnout on Futbology tonight, 13 checked in so far, including a guy who seems to have travelled from Italy to watch the Stoneyburn and Edinburgh University double header. 

I noticed that too... met a few of the EOS/LL regulars on the night, a couple who are on Futbology and many not. Bonnyrigg spies in attendance, WWFC committee too. A bit surprised that @tamthebam wimped out as it felt warmer than Bonnyrigg on Sunday. The pitchside barriers had ice on them at kickoff but they thawed.

Don't go to Peffermill very often but a couple of winters ago I went as everything else was off. Anybody who's familiar will tell you the weather comes across the pitch towards the stand, so I stood at the opposite fence to try and get shelter from the wind and sleet. Mickey Lawson was in charge at VoL at the time, I know him from WW days. He saw me and told me to come into the dugout for shelter, and I asked what about the ref?   "F**k the ref!"

Chesterfield 1-1 Halifax Town ... Top of the table clash yesterday in the National League. Home side equalised 10 mins from time after the had a penalty award overturned by the linesman. Decent game probably fair result. Sell out 8106 (779 away).

11D0B64A-5CFC-4290-825F-3A9621E86C1E.jpeg

670F337C-7826-4E67-BEFF-56B3D7A6E82B.jpeg

Edited by Crow

On 26/12/2021 at 00:47, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Indonesia will most likely play Thailand in the final, who should comfortably beat them. 

1st leg of the final tonight and Thailand, without getting much out of second gear, win 4-0. the second leg should be a non event.

Indonesia do try and play some good football but Thailand are considerbly a stronger team.

A few decent players in the line ups who probably play at a higher level than they currently do just now.

Chesterfield 1-1 Halifax Town ... Top of the table clash yesterday in the National League. Home side equalised 10 mins from time after the had a penalty award overturned by the linesman. Decent game probably fair result. Sell out 8106 (779 away).
11D0B64A-5CFC-4290-825F-3A9621E86C1E.thumb.jpeg.6433e181a66eaf4ac9263a7760705a70.jpeg
670F337C-7826-4E67-BEFF-56B3D7A6E82B.thumb.jpeg.b74c76bd1cfbbb4015c4860c7395d242.jpeg

Decent crowd that (and away following) for the 5th Tier in England![emoji106]

Kilbirnie Ladeside 3 - 1 Dalry Thistle

Decent enough game. Competitive, with some meaty tackles but a distinct lack of quality in the final third from both teams. Can see why both teams are at the bottom end of their respective leagues.

Dalry looked decent working the ball forward but were a bit toothless up front. Largs did well to take advantage of some mistakes for their goals.

Overall, a good excuse to get out of the house and see some football. Surface looked good as well.fc1663c7b1c8998caa07ef81792add1b.jpg