Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

Quick Den Haag 1-0 JOS Watergraafsmeer
I'm still in The Netherlands and today I got into the stereotype for the Dutch and cycled from my mother's home to The Hague. Quick were one of the original big Dutch teams who won one Dutch title and 4 Dutch cups. They also once won three Dutch cups in a row, something that since then has only been equalled by Ajax and PSV. Their last main trophy was over a century ago.

Like many clubs from back then, they are also multisport. In the last two decades or so they are far better known for their cricket team, who are one of the biggest sides in the Dutch league. Their football team did climb up the leagues in recent years though and they are in the fourth tier now. They very much represent the city's elite. Their opponents today are from Amsterdam and very much represent the elite over there. Very friendly people there from both sides. The ground is lovely with a beautiful old stand and terracing in front of the club house. Great afternoon out all together.

IMG_20210919_152949.thumb.jpg.76e4172dc1b17959dbb0d9a9c391aef8.jpgIMG_20210919_154721.thumb.jpg.89bd6a3c7e23e73d00f6cfa81c705c60.jpgIMG_20210919_154837.thumb.jpg.a465c0cef26bfe9797c9492e31cc673c.jpgIMG_20210919_154931.thumb.jpg.b384e3e8060e47d9344c1cf7b8017524.jpg

Lothian Thistle Hutchinson Vale 2-2 Edinburgh Uni. Too nice an afternoon for sitting in the house so headed along to Scottish Cup tie between these 2. Uni were better team and comfortably ahead 2-0 when Lothian got a soft penalty to get them back into the game. Good afternoons entertainment in the sun. 

08890F84-CA66-4F50-80AF-298CD6C1C387.jpeg

Lothian Thistle Hutchinson Vale 2-2 Edinburgh Uni. Too nice an afternoon for sitting in the house so headed along to Scottish Cup tie between these 2. Uni were better team and comfortably ahead 2-0 when Lothian got a soft penalty to get them back into the game. Good afternoons entertainment in the sun. 

08890F84-CA66-4F50-80AF-298CD6C1C387.thumb.jpeg.e13c1da15d691ea39d8a9855c9075ca9.jpeg
What's that over at the halfway line where the scaffold tower used to be? Looks like a few changes since I was last at Ainslie.

34 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

What's that over at the halfway line where the scaffold tower used to be? Looks like a few changes since I was last at Ainslie.

They seem to have built a more permanent TV tower but not sure if that is the actual use. There is also a half built stand to left of that structure. 

23 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Bradford City 1 Barrow AFC 1 at Valley parade 18/09/21

EE65A76A-265D-4E25-9749-858A5256F8B0.thumb.jpeg.401f50dbfa72fe51c13526587a61168a.jpeg

I've pencilled Valley Parade in for their next home game against Rochdale for a first visit. Attendance looks a bit sparse, is it a decent atmosphere or a bit dead?  

Edited by Christophe

11 hours ago, Christophe said:

I've pencilled Valley Parade in for their next home game against Rochdale for a first visit. Attendance looks a bit sparse, is it a decent atmosphere or a bit dead?  

Sparse? I thought it looked busy.

Their crowds hold up well when you consider they've got Leeds and Rugby League to contend with...and they've been shite for years.

Bradford in general is an experience.

Just over 15,000 there which is pretty good I think for a Div 2 side? Think the ground holds just over 25,000. Atmosphere was decent and the standard of football wasn’t bad either. The home support seemed to get behind their team for most of the game and the 500 or so who had travelled from Barrow made a bit of noise throughout.
Couple of pints before the game on North Parade where the pubs seemed pretty lively and welcoming, the fans enjoying a beer out on the street in the sunshine. All quite relaxed, had a good feel about it pre-match. All in all quite an enjoyable day out.

Nairn County 4-0 Strathspey Thistle

Furthest away trip I've done so far and Nairn are an incredible club. I was invited up early to take a look around and Ian the club secretary was a real gent. Was even gifted a book on their history just for visiting! 

Scoreline didn't flatter and they'll play Banks O'Dee in the next round. Funnily enough I've seen both play in the Scottish Cup already this season!

My usual write up is below, give it a read if you can.

https://groundhopscot.wordpress.com/2021/09/19/club-16-279-nairn-county/

NfdbPO8w.jpeg

avvxqGRA.jpeg

On 30/08/2021 at 13:43, welshbairn said:

Going to be taking in Newquay AFC v Launceston AFC Saturday week, South West Peninsula League, Tier 10.

Not a bad wee ground, locals won 3-2.

image.thumb.png.a28491728c7ac8644023975b5bf96038.png

Next random game will be Estoril v Benfica at Estádio António Coimbra da Mota, 30th October, assuming I can get a ticket.

496061_med_estadio_antonio_coimbra_da_mo

P.S. Looking like much more chance of getting into bottom of the table clash Belenenses v Santa Clara

restelo_top.jpg

Edited by welshbairn

Katwijk 2-3 Harkemase Boys
Tonight I went to this match in the second preliminary round of the Dutch Cup. Both teams are amongst the biggest part-time sides in the country, playing "tweede divisie" (third tier). Crowd was comfortably four figures and the ground was excellent. Atmosphere was great too, with a firework show before kick-off. Great game for a neutral which the better side won. The guests have now gone through to the first round proper with teams from the top two divisions, so they can hope for a big team in the draw.

IMG_20210921_195849_mfnr.jpgIMG_20210921_213258_mfnr.jpgIMG_20210921_213532_mfnr.jpgIMG_20210921_213803_mfnr.jpg

FA Cup replay night...few options in the NW but went with Southport Vs Chorley. They (obviously) just played the original tie on Saturday, replay tonight and meet again in the league on Saturday coming! 

Just the one goal with the home side winning 1-0 but what a goal it was. Just minutes after missing a penalty a Southport cross ball from the left was met with as sweet an overheard kick as I've seen, nestling in the postage stamp. Will do well if I see a better goal all season.

PXL_20210921_185004820.jpg

8 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

What goes on in those wee buildings next to the stand?

The one on the left is their club house, with a very nice pub inside. The one on the right contains facilities for business partners, players etc.

Edited by Marten

The one on the left is their club house, with a very nice pub inside. The one on the right contains facilities for business partners, players etc.
It reminded me a bit of this structure at Naestved. The first time I went I was hunting for the club shop and wandered in to find a bar. Ordered a pint and surprisingly didn't have to pay. Got some nice cake for free, too. Decided to watch the second half from there and sunk another free pint before asking the barman if the beer was free for everyone. "Yes, it's free for all the sponsors and media partners."unnamed.jpeg

It's also worth noting that in terms of support, finances and facilities, Katwijk are bigger than a number of pro sides. But as the situation around the pyramid and different factions of the Dutch game make the situation around that in Scotland currently and over the last 20 or so years look efficient, uncontroversial and well-managed, they are still non-league.

Ajax women 2-1 Heerenveen women
Decent game today. First half wasn't very exciting, but the second half was much better. Ajax won through a late goal which I think was deserved. Decent attendance and I managed to capture a lovely sunset.

IMG_20210924_193236.jpgIMG_20210924_193426.jpgIMG_20210924_193515.jpgIMG_20210924_211846.jpg