Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

Kilbirnie Ladeside 1-4 Auchinleck Talbot.

I feel like a bit of an anorak twat for going to this when my own team were playing at Dundonald, but I was through in the west anyway and I'm close to a few milestones which will bug me until I reach them. I'm also a bit of a Talbot fanboy, for most of my life they've set the standard in non-league.

I was late arriving and missed Auchinleck's opener but I caught their second - which is more than can be said for the home side's keeper, who allowed a pretty average low cross to go straight through his arms and legs, leaving Talbot a tap-in behind him. Kilbirnie pulled one back straight away with a delicious right foot screamer, a touch of slice taking it away from the keeper. The standard early on was very high from both sides, causing the Lithgae fan in me to worry about the continuing gap between west and east just now, though it settled down to a midfield battle.

A squad of boys watching from a hillock overlooking the ground decided the start of the second half was when to make their presence felt and set off an array of fireworks. They looked glorious as they, er, were barely distinguishable against the bright grey Ayrshire sky. It's the thought that counts lads.

Talbot were always the better side though not firing on all cylinders, and you got the feeling that if they could get their combinations working they would pull away. They managed that more and more as the second half wore on and 4-1 was a fair reflection in the end.

A proper ex-Junior ground with a noisy support, plenty of cover, some seating, terracing almost all round and respectable pies. As it should be.

IMG_20210728_202530968_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210728_202805640.jpg

13 hours ago, GroundhopScot said:

Yeah, that'll be him! 

He was giving the players pelters. Loved his passion although not sure the poor EK right back did! Let out a massive frustrated scream at the final whistle too. No actual word - just a big noise
No drumkit yesterday though. 

Brilliant stuff, glad to hear he hasn't mellowed out any! 

Clydebank 2 - 1 Cumnock

Cracking game of football and a game of two halves but Clydebank held on for the win. A great ground if you enjoy watching airplanes as well.

IMG_20210728_191315_180.thumb.jpg.9c5cfb0dbbdcd967850cca8872ddd855.jpgIMG_20210728_204229_464.thumb.jpg.c64eefe265776e5b2dc9b9c4b74e4e9a.jpgIMG_20210728_205933_180.thumb.jpg.ef36dad2b869d818f7cf5eb101545d49.jpg
Interesting tidbit about Holm Park is despite being the home of Yoker since the dawn of time the ground lies within the boundries of Clydebank & not Glasgow.

Also for aviation enthusiasts Renfrew's New Western Park is another.

Vllanzia v AEL Limassol. 300Lek for a ticket or £2. 
IMG_20210729_225424.thumb.jpg.9c6c2913429217ad0774aa7501107254.jpg
I've watched a lot of games in that stadium! I absolutely loved living in north Shkodër.

If you're still about head to Klinsmanns on Rruga Pogej for a pint, they used to stream Thistle games for me, much to the bewilderment of the other customers.

6 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

I've watched a lot of games in that stadium! I absolutely loved living in north Shkodër.

If you're still about head to Klinsmanns on Rruga Pogej for a pint, they used to stream Thistle games for me, much to the bewilderment of the other customers.

Up in the mountains for a couple of nights will be back in Shkoder on Sunday so will try find it.

Dalbeattie Star v Edinburgh University.

Love these trips where you pick a game at random, head to a part of the country you know little about, and go for an explore. Ended up walking from Kippford to Castle Point, very nice it was too.

Love Islecroft. Just the perfect stadium for this level of football.

2-1 to Star at HT, I'll hazard a guess they'll pull away in second half.

IMG_20210731_150804.jpegIMG_20210731_121317.jpeg

1 hour ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Love these trips where you pick a game at random, head to a part of the country you know little about, and go for an explore. Ended up walking from Kippford to Castle Point, very nice it was too.

IMG_20210731_121317.jpeg

Park looks a bit iffy.

Followed up a midweek trip to Bonnyrigg v Broomhill, with a very short hop across to the Oriam for Edinburgh College 0 v Fauldhouse 0 today. Despite the scoreline, the game had everything, 3 red cards for the home side (including their manager) by a card happy ref, lost count of the number of cards eventually, the home team striking the woodwork several times, and some great saves...decent crowd of around 50/60.

3 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

IMG_20210731_150804.jpegIMG_20210731_121317.jpeg

Sunny Rockcliffe, have the joy of going there and Kippford at my work, staunch true blue Tory area

34 minutes ago, GroundhopScot said:

Bellshill Athletic 5-2 Lugar Boswell Thistle.

Six quid is a steal for a game this entertaining!

I do like writing about my outings, the link is below if you fancy a quick read.

https://groundhopscot.wordpress.com/2021/07/31/club-5-280-bellshill-athletic/

rahzdjWw.jpeg

Are you falling in to the trap that an English journalist did. He was sent North to see what Bellshill had, since about the early 60s, that produced so many footballers.

He found a Maternity Hospital.

20 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Are you falling in to the trap that an English journalist did. He was sent North to see what Bellshill had, since about the early 60s, that produced so many footballers.

He found a Maternity Hospital.

Haha I did take a wee walk about not sure what a journalist would be interested in. 

I found a Tesco meal deal and was quite happy with it

Sunny Rockcliffe, have the joy of going there and Kippford at my work, staunch true blue Tory area
Speaking of staunch, I wandered into the Birchtree Hotel in Dalbeattie before the game and immediately found myself surrounded by Rangers fans sitting around the TV watching their beloved TV stars on real life TV. Bless them with their shiny new matching strips, and for some reason they all seemed to want to play in position No.55.

None of them made it along to Islecroft when the TV show finished. If Dalbeattie can't persuade a few of them along after their start to the season, they never will.

I made my excuses and left the Birchtree.

Speaking of staunch, I wandered into the Birchtree Hotel in Dalbeattie before the game and immediately found myself surrounded by Rangers fans sitting around the TV watching their beloved TV stars on real life TV. Bless them with their shiny new matching strips, and for some reason they all seemed to want to play in position No.55.

None of them made it along to Islecroft when the TV show finished. If Dalbeattie can't persuade a few of them along after their start to the season, they never will.

Armchair fans like that don't appreciate football IMO. My sister in law's other half is one of them. It's the same shite patter any time I see him - "still watching that shite at Palmerston haha?" I'll give you one guess who he "supports" in this country and who he "supports" from down south.

At a bbq the other day he was shocked when I told him I put absolutely any live game (in the flesh) above any other game in the world televised. These folk just watch football to see teams winning. They really don't appreciate the sport to the same level folk who go to lower league games do IMO. Winning is more important than anything else.

11 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I walked past the Kings Arms in Dalbeattie on the way to Islecroft and it seemed pretty much the same thing.  Among the excuses would be the bar at Islecroft isn't open, £7 to get in, to far to walk and the small town mentality of don't know any of the players none of them come from Dalbeattie. ( roughly the same excuses i use for having no will or desire to go back to Palmerston )

Just wait to rangers B roll into town, they will all be there then

Strathspey Thistle 3-3 Wick Academy.

My first sport in over a year and a half and my first football for even longer.

It's a decent wee ground in Grantown. Head count of 97 humans and three canines. Perhaps 10 Wickers among them. A few folk in the pub afterwards saying they didn't go because Sevco were on TV.

Wick were miles better in the first half hour but went in only 1-0 up. Strathspey then took the lead twice, their third goal an excellent direct free-kick. Think the Thistle keeper could have done better at a couple of the goals but their defence was all over the place too, really struggling to pick up runners. The home side were probably the better team in the second half though.

The snack bar was closed so I jogged to Scotmid at half time to get some pies. Five minutes into the second half I was stuck down by cramp, ending any illusions I had of being Highland League standard myself.

Both sides should be fine this season. Wick have some big capable lads and Strathspey have started the season well despite a young squad and a couple of their better players missing.

All in all a good afternoon out although I had to do an arsey split shift to get away for it.IMG_20210731_165857.jpeg

Stonehaven 4-1 Buchanhaven Hearts
North region division one

A nice trip up to Stonehaven. First a pre-match pint with a lovely view of the harbour. Then a walk to the ground. The ground itself wasn't that much. I can hardly call it enclosed. But the surrounding were lovely.

IMG_20210803_191814.thumb.jpg.e42da93c7c2805336c6f302989917056.jpgIMG_20210803_193604.thumb.jpg.83256d1380c50beadbe0a04ef998aa4d.jpgIMG_20210803_194017.thumb.jpg.c70cb1e036788b6613303a4229530dbc.jpgIMG_20210803_203309.thumb.jpg.6274623ad4d834da5db766c9798d088f.jpg