Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

6 minutes ago, Marten said:

Isn't St Helens one of the largest towns in England without a team in the Football League?

Didn’t know that! Highest division any of the 4 teams play is the the North West Counties League - Division 1 North!

Not sure what metric you base that on but would be interesting to work out, just for example picking a nearby town - Warrington, they have a far bigger population and no league team so not sure it would be Saints.

Edited by Christophe

2 minutes ago, Christophe said:

Didn’t know that! Highest division any of the 4 teams play is the the North West Counties League - Division 1 North!

Just looked it up:  there are a handful of cities/towns with 100K+ populations without an EFL/EPL team: Eastbourne Borough, Slough Town, Telford United, Gloucester City & York City are tier 6, Poole Town are tier 7 and Sutton Coldfield Town are tier 8.

St. Helens is together with Dudley the only town in England with a population of more than 100K not to have a single team in the top 9 tiers. Dudley have 2 teams at tier 10.

7 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Around NW England, they have Rugby League to contend with as well as a few big league clubs near by.

Yes! I counted 37 in attendance on Saturday! Was far more than that screaming on Liverpool in the pub on Saturday night! 

11 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Around NW England, they have Rugby League to contend with as well as a few big league clubs near by.

True, and Dudley don't have Rugby League but plenty of league clubs & semi-pro non-league ones nearby as well.

Edited by Marten

Guest Moomintroll
Yeah Rugby League is massive round there with Warrington, Widnes & St Helens all big clubs nearby. Then you have the people gping West for Liverpool/Everton or East for Man Utd/City

58 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Yeah Rugby League is massive round there with Warrington, Widnes & St Helens all big clubs nearby. Then you have the people gping West for Liverpool/Everton or East for Man Utd/City

I visit Bradford quite often. Even though the The Bulls are shite and are now The The Bradford Bulls, there's still loads of interest.

Park Avenue supporters are convinced they are the real team in Bradford and the glory days will return. City seem to be doing their best to get closer to them though.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

Guest Moomintroll
I visit Bradford quite often. Even though the The Bulls are shite and are now The The Bradford Bulls, there's still loads of interest.
Park Avenue supporters are convinced they are the real team in Bradford and the glory days will return. City seem to be doing their best to get closer to them though.
That was quite a shambolic collapse from their glory days from the Bulls, but I tend to disdain those White Rose types. Proper adopted Lancy lad me.

4 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
16 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

That was quite a shambolic collapse from their glory days from the Bulls, but I tend to disdain those White Rose types. Proper adopted Lancy lad me.

It's quite interesting visiting places and hearing about the various rivalries, fortune and misfortunes that aren't widely reported up here.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I see BPA now style themselves as Bradford (Park Avenue). When and why did they start this? There were never any brackets in the name that I can remember.

8 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

I see BPA now style themselves as Bradford (Park Avenue). When and why did they start this? There were never any brackets in the name that I can remember.

I think it's because they used to be known as simply Bradford FC, before City appeared. They played in Park Avenue and that was how papers referred to them. Putting it in brackets keeps it seperate.

I've never heard a supporter using Park or Avenue, it's just Bradford.

That's from memory without cheating, so might not be gospel.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

35 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I think it's because they used to be known as simply Bradford FC, before City appeared. They played in Park Avenue and that was how papers referred to them. Putting it in brackets keeps it seperate.

I've never heard a supporter using Park or Avenue, it's just Bradford.

That's from memory without cheating, so might not be gospel.

Interesting thanks. I'd always just taken them at face value and their name was BPA. I see that City were actually formed first ...going by Wiki dates anyway it's 03 City and 07 BPA.  Bradford Park Avenue's a great name in it's own right so they should have just called it that without the brackets, especially when re-founded, but I suppose local pride and tradition wouldn't allow it.

6 hours ago, 7-2 said:

Interesting thanks. I'd always just taken them at face value and their name was BPA. I see that City were actually formed first ...going by Wiki dates anyway it's 03 City and 07 BPA.  Bradford Park Avenue's a great name in it's own right so they should have just called it that without the brackets, especially when re-founded, but I suppose local pride and tradition wouldn't allow it.

I didn't know the formation dates, but in their clubhouse they have loads of memorabilia of friendlies against European teams and Len Shackleton who played for them early in his career. They have went belly up and reformed at least once as well, when they dropped out the football league, so should probably have a The prefix too.

Cove v Berwick play off game today. Very comfortable win for Cove. 4-0 did not flatter them in the slightest. Could easily have been double that. Managed to get a programme at last. 

image.jpg

E17E5C57-46CB-4538-9B91-34AFE105A852.jpeg

Edited by Jute