Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

Celtic Women 0 - 0 Rangers Women

Starting with the game to get it out of the road - it was terrible. Neither side could string more than three passes together, it was just an ugly midfield scrap with few chances. The standard was a lot closer to SWPL2 than to Glasgow City or the national side. I wouldn't presume this was representative of either side, though. FWIW, two of the best matches I've been at this season were women's games.

This was my first time at K Park, and I have to say it's not my cup of tea. It's a 3G cage with a really bad pitch. That didn't help the standard of the game, the bounce was so high they might as well have been playing on a trampoline. Fans are restricted to a stand on one side of the pitch, with four rows of wee backless plastic seats that are pretty uncomfortable. They're also not high enough and I'm fairly tall, so I ended up with my arthritic knees getting sore through squatting like a frog - I stood along at the end in the second half. There's a covered terrace behind the goal but access to it was closed. In any case you'd be watching through a net, which I hate doing.

The hot food sold out very early, the woman in the snack bar said nobody had told her it would be a big game. Looked good though, and the prices were very decent.

The attendance was about 250, mostly friends and family of players or families with female footballers. There were very few there just because they're Celtic or Rangers fans - fewer than you'd get at a Development League game against St Mirren. Considering when these sides meet in under 16 matches they need to play behind closed doors, the lack of interest is disappointing.

The clubs did practically nothing to promote the game, which was a head-bangingly stupid missed opportunity in a week in which women's football was front-and-centre in the news. Rangers had one tweet, a RT on the morning of the match; their most recent video about the women's team on their YouTube channel was in June; and their website, which carries match reports at least, had no preview and doesn't even list fixtures and results. Celtic's website is better, with a preview article on the game and they do list fixtures and results, but they had precisely zero tweets about the game and last used the word "women" in a tweet on International Women's Day last year. Their last video about the women was in April 2017.

Compared with clubs like Hibs, or how much they tweet about their male youth teams, it's incredibly poor. At the weekend Rangers did more to highlight their boys under 11s than their women's team. Not cool, and it speaks volumes about their priorities.

IMG_20180909_134947661_HDR.jpg

While I'm here, Maryhill 1 - 2 Saltcoats Victoria on Wednesday last week.

My first trip to Lochburn Park. It's idiosyncratic, loved and careworn. The roof is unique, and fairly bizarre, but it provided excellent shelter on a night of pissing rain. The pitch is sunken below the surrounding terraces so there are good views all round. Opposite the covered stand there's a bit of shelter and elevated standing in the corners of the building backing onto the ground. The entrance gate is wonderful.

This was just a friendly and the weather was awful, so the crowd was very small and there was no food to try.

The match was surprisingly intriguing for a friendly. I didn't know about the recent changes at Saltcoats, and you don't often get teams at this level the majority of whose players are black and don't have Scottish accents. They also have the first black manager I've seen in non-league Scottish football (not exactly loads in league football either....). I found out on here after the game that he came in the summer from Afro Scots AFC, and amateur team from Govan, and brought some of the better players with him.

Maryhill are pretty typical for this level of the Juniors, but Saltcoats, with their mix of players who didn't learn the game here, and experienced locals, were trying to play a game that was more dynamic, athletic and pacy. For the most part it wasn't really working but they were definitely working things out as they went. Maryhill scored first but Saltcoast came more into in, equalising in the second half and winning it at the death.

All-in-all an interesting night out and better than anything on the telly.

Right, can someone tell me how to reduce the size of pictures so I can post them, mine are all more than 4MB!

On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 09:52, Tynierose said:

I'm being dragged to Bohemians v Zlin on Friday night by that ground hopping oddball @Audaces Fortuna Juvat .  No doubt he has some ridiculous 8th tier game lined up for Saturday 

How does FC Slavoj Vysehrad v SK Uhelne Sklady Praha sound? 

UDS Opitergina 0-3 Portogruaro.

My second to last local team played at Meadowbank and despite its demise I've found an almost identical replacement in my new local team.

Campionato Regionale di Pronozione Veneto Girone D isn't the most skillful league I've watched but it was decent entertainment for the four hundred or so who turned up, I think a majority were Portogruaro fans.IMG_20180916_164941.jpgIMG_20180916_164919.jpgIMG_20180916_162658.jpgIMG_20180916_180912.jpg

I was in Milton Keynes for work at the end of last week, and saw MK Dons against Forest Green Rovers.

Game ended 1-1 and was pretty dire. MK went in front through a comedy error from the FGR goalkeeper, which was equalised by a soft-ish penalty late in the game. Manager Paul Tisdale seems to favour a highly dour, defensive game; Mournho multiplied by Gus McPherson equals MK Dons at present. FGR much easier on the eye and moved the ball really well but profligate in front of goal; they should have won, really.

Great stadium, though, and reviled as they are, MK Dons have some of the best community programmes anywhere in England. Saw more young, family groups, disabled fans in the crowd than I have done at any other ground in the UK and they really are working hard on the community side of things.

Obviously MK are tainted by the way they came into being but it's a really decent set up and club, and a very friendly ground to visit.

4 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

Going to the Real Madrid v Roma game on Wednesday. Anyone been to the Bernabeu/got general recommendations for a 3 night stay in Madrid?

I live in Madrid. Depends what you are looking for. Bernabau on line 10 is the closest metro stop and there are a few decent bars nearby. Any of them are pretty decent tbh. 100 montaditos is a chain that has one nearby and does pints for 1.50 as well as tinto de verano for the same price. Teutan and Cuatro Caminos fairly nearby are decent buzzy areas.

General stuff - retiro park is fantastic, one of the best city parks in Europe. La Latina is fantastic for tapas/night out - calle de caja bava is a street there with about 30 tapas places, ask for the speciality of the house in a few or just take the free ones with each drink. It's Madrid's equivalent of a shoreditch type area with less wankers.

Museums are great, prado is the main one but I prefer the Reina sofia - guernica is probably my favourite piece of art.

Rooftop bars are great and Mercado san Anton is probably my favourite although there are others with better views. 

It rained today a bit but is still roasting. It's a great city, you'll love it. Give me a shout if there is anything in particular you are interested in. 

I live in Madrid. Depends what you are looking for. Bernabau on line 10 is the closest metro stop and there are a few decent bars nearby. Any of them are pretty decent tbh. 100 montaditos is a chain that has one nearby and does pints for 1.50 as well as tinto de verano for the same price. Teutan and Cuatro Caminos fairly nearby are decent buzzy areas.
General stuff - retiro park is fantastic, one of the best city parks in Europe. La Latina is fantastic for tapas/night out - calle de caja bava is a street there with about 30 tapas places, ask for the speciality of the house in a few or just take the free ones with each drink. It's Madrid's equivalent of a shoreditch type area with less wankers.
Museums are great, prado is the main one but I prefer the Reina sofia - guernica is probably my favourite piece of art.
Rooftop bars are great and Mercado san Anton is probably my favourite although there are others with better views. 
It rained today a bit but is still roasting. It's a great city, you'll love it. Give me a shout if there is anything in particular you are interested in. 
you living in madrid makes me extremely jealous! ill love my walk throgh forfar tomorrow even less now!

Went along to the top of the table League One clash on Saturday - Peterborough v Portsmouth.  A few observations I had were:-

• League One football really is of a dreadful standard.  People who complain about the levels of hoofball in Scottish football should take a look.  Also the refereeing was appalling - PL ref as well, Roger East, and he made some , shall we say, interesting decisions...
  • Jason Cummings worked hard before taking a bad knock and thus subbed off after about 50 minutes.  He's popular with the Posh fans though, who chanted his name for most of the match
  • I liked the look of Siriki Dembele for Peterborough, he reminded me a bit of Sone Aluko, although he needs to work on his decision making at times
  • Peterborough's stadium has some real touches of Somerset Park about it.  The family stand looks great, the main stand I was in less so - old wooden seats and leg room akin to Cappielow.  And a nice view obstructing metal post to boot!
  • Steve Evans appears to be heading down the Alan Brazil route.  Surprised they don't need to widen the home dug out...  Also, him and his assistant are right narky so-and-so's.  The poor fourth official must have had bleeding ears after a while

IMG_20180915_141557290_HDR.thumb.jpg.b424a4c554d40ff4c28e7daedaf4bb59.jpg