What Are You Drinking ?

Bairnardo said it. I like a G&T but generally it tastes of whatever you add to it. Aldi's own brand, Cromwell, has won awards. £17 a litre. I have to say, though, I enjoy when Mrs Bold presents me with a Brockmans with pieces of fruit and, perchance, some herbs and spices! Hypocrite? Moi?

Edited by Bold Rover
Pesky autocorrect

7 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

Bairnardo said it. I like a G&T but generally it tastes of whatever you add to it. Aldo's own brand, Cromwell, has won awards. £17 a litre. I have to say, though, I enjoy when Mrs Bold presents me with a Brockmans with pieces of fruit and, perchance, some herbs and spices! Hypocrite? Moi?

Oh aye, don't get me wrong, aside from gin liquiers which can go straight into the sewer, there are plenty of fancy combos that taste class. Point is, G&T was around before for a very long time and has always been excellent.

23 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

It doesn't need someone who knows what they are doing either

Whilst I agree with everything else you say. I'd disagree with this.

Whilst I mentioned wetherspoons, it could be any pub really where the staff 'dunts' (yes, that's the correct term) you some gin from an optic then skooshes some tonic in the glass and it will usually only guarantee you one thing. It'll be rank. And aye, whilst Gordon's is perfectly fine, I have a preference for The Botanist. 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

You know what else is still, and always has been a perfectly good and refreshing drink? Gordons gin, Schweppes tonic, ice and lime. G&T was always excellent, long before the fad bullshit and folk trying to explain to you that "Edinburgh Gin with a twist of orange and Fever Tree slimline" is some sort of new discovery.

It doesn't need someone who knows what they are doing either. G&T is a fine drink. That's not to say there aren't a variety of quality gins out there. The whole bullshit around gin fucks me off though.

Absolutely this. Waaaaaay back in the day I'd always have a couple of Gin and Tonics if out drinking. Unsure why I stopped, but haven't had one in probably over a decade at least.

See also: Long vodka.

Used to drink it with tonic but I really don't like tonic so switched to lemonade. Much better for me. If you want a really refreshing drink in summer go for gin and bitter lemon and if anyone hasn't tried it, don't give me yer shite until you've tried it. Almost every time I'm on a work night out I get slagged for it until they try it.

FWIW I bought this tonight and am now tucking in. So far it's very nice.

snapshotimagehandler_1875958199.jpeg

42 minutes ago, Craig the Hunter said:

This from Overtone. As the name suggests its an absolute belter. Sour raspberry and sweet vanilla. Cracker of a sour. So glad I've discovered the Wee Beer Shop this year, everything I've had from them has been quality

20201113_195425.jpg

You must be made of money

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

Used to drink it with tonic but I really don't like tonic so switched to lemonade. Much better for me. If you want a really refreshing drink in summer go for gin and bitter lemon and if anyone hasn't tried it, don't give me yer shite until you've tried it. Almost every time I'm on a work night out I get slagged for it until they try it.

FWIW I bought this tonight and am now tucking in. So far it's very nice.

snapshotimagehandler_1875958199.jpeg

Are you sure the bold bit is supposed to be in this post? It really doesn't square logically with what you have written and pictured....

I really want to enjoy gin but just can't get into it at all. It's the prospect of wasting £15/£20 on a bottle of the stuff then hating it after the first sip. Recommendations are appreciated.

I'll stick to what I know for now. Tonight has been the usual combo of Disco Forklift Truck, Tennent's and a damn good spiced rum.

1 minute ago, The Naitch said:

I really want to enjoy gin but just can't get into it at all. It's the prospect of wasting £15/£20 on a bottle of the stuff then hating it after the first sip. Recommendations are appreciated.

I'll stick to what I know for now. Tonight has been the usual combo of Disco Forklift Truck, Tennent's and a damn good spiced rum.

Literally came on this thread to wax lyrical about DFT. 

2 minutes ago, The Naitch said:

If you like citrusy IPA there's citrusy gins. Add flavoured tonic and fresh lemon or lime. I freeze any fruit I put in rather than use ice. Cucumber and berries work well too.

6 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

Literally came on this thread to wax lyrical about DFT. 

It's a beauty of a drink. Definitely my favourite flavoured ale/lager.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

If you like citrusy IPA there's citrusy gins. Add flavoured tonic and fresh lemon or lime. I freeze any fruit I put in rather than use ice. Cucumber and berries work well too.

Using frozen fruit instead of ice is a cracking idea. You've got some use after all, Sarge.

Give Gordon's Lemon a go. It's light and refreshing and citrusy, obviously. It's around £15 as well.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Pretty sure I saw a 'double' Disco Forklift Truck, but like other 'doubles', such as double Joker and Punk, I don't see the point.

Double Joker is fine but its not a patch on the original. I've got nothing against a double/imperial IPA, and I've had some good ones, but I agree, I don't really see the point of taking an already good beer and just making it stronger