What Are You Drinking ?

Had a delivery of a few gluten free lagers. Thought GF beer would be a lost cause but been very surprised by every one i've tried so far, some cracking options. 

721001450_PureHelles.png.b5ef348e3c4f44a6c732402f47179b75.png

Pure Helles by Purity Brewing. Tried a few different gluten free takes on German Helles, pretty decent and one of the better GF lagers i've had so far.

JUBEL.jpeg.52215911c5b76bdf7ac6b200ef5d3ffa.jpeg

Jubel peach lager. Lovely stuff, will definitely get again.

Edited by Fratelli

Had a delivery of a few gluten free lagers. Thought GF beer would be a lost cause but been very surprised by every one i've tried so far, some cracking options. 

Pure Helles by Purity Brewing. Tried a few different gluten free takes on German Helles, pretty decent and one of the better GF lagers i've had so far.

Theres no reason for GF beer to be bad or less in any way. The ingredients and process are identical. They just lob in an enzyme that breaks down the gluten. I actually use it quite regularly as the wife tries to avoid gluten for reasons I dont understand.

44 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
48 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

Theres no reason for GF beer to be bad or less in any way. The ingredients and process are identical. They just lob in an enzyme that breaks down the gluten. I actually use it quite regularly as the wife tries to avoid gluten for reasons I dont understand.

It’s a strange thing, I’m coeliac but poured normal beer down my throat at alarming levels for 30 years with genuinely no ill effects (confirmed by blood tests last year when new GP wanted to carry out a health check on my coeliac). I always got the impression that the brewing process removed the gluten.

I decided to go totally GF since then which coincided with lockdown. @Fratelli are you GF by choice or necessity? I tried belfield, was ok - session lager and German pilsner. I used to drink daura but went off it, and I can’t really see past peroni as it is easily available and I generally drink lager, but no doubt it will be pints of T next time I’m out in the pub, which hasn’t happened since March 19 but the Scotland game awaits next week.

4 minutes ago, Snobot said:

It’s a strange thing, I’m coeliac but poured normal beer down my throat at alarming levels for 30 years with genuinely no ill effects (confirmed by blood tests last year when new GP wanted to carry out a health check on my coeliac). I always got the impression that the brewing process removed the gluten.

I decided to go totally GF since then which coincided with lockdown. @Fratelli are you GF by choice or necessity? I tried belfield, was ok - session lager and German pilsner. I used to drink daura but went off it, and I can’t really see past peroni as it is easily available and I generally drink lager, but no doubt it will be pints of T next time I’m out in the pub, which hasn’t happened since March 19 but the Scotland game awaits next week.

@Sergeant Wilson ?

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, Fratelli said:

Theres no reason for GF beer to be bad or less in any way. The ingredients and process are identical. They just lob in an enzyme that breaks down the gluten. I actually use it quite regularly as the wife tries to avoid gluten for reasons I dont understand.

Aye i wasn't clued up until i started trying them, so just assumed they would essentially be an imitation. Loads of gluten free products have improved massively in the last decade or so, and aren't all that different from the regular stuff, apart from the odd thing. 

Edited by Fratelli

8 minutes ago, Snobot said:

I tried it as a process of elimination to get to the bottom of a few health issues and have felt better for it. I like Daura but like yourself usually revert to Peroni through convenience. Have tried the San Miguel stuff which is fine, but i wouldn't be in a rush to get it again. In terms of pubs i've had the same issues, drank cider but on a couple of the occasions i've been out again i've ended up just going back to Tennents and putting it down as a cheat day (which i'm sure is the wrong way to approach being GF but ah well). FWIW Tennents sell bottles of their own Gluten Free lager online, which is actually stronger than regular at 5% and not as expensive as some of the others. 

The gluten content in a lot of beer is quite puzzling though, folk online have tested different beers with home testing kits and found some lagers to have very little gluten in them, almost on the verge of being considered gluten free, although it seems to vary a fair bit.

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I recall @Sergeant Wilson saying he had not particularly looked after his coeliac condition  on a previous discussion of this topic. I’m also convinced we work in a similar part of the civil service judging by what he posts of his work existence  and what I experience on a daily basis

2 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

I tried it as a process of elimination to get to the bottom of a few health issues and have felt better for it. I like Daura but like yourself usually revert to Peroni through convenience. Have tried the San Miguel stuff which is fine, but i wouldn't be in a rush to get it again. In terms of pubs i've had the same issues, drank cider but on a couple of the occasions i've been out again i've ended up just going back to Tennents and putting it down as a cheat day (which i'm sure is the wrong way to approach being GF but ah well). FWIW Tennents sell bottles of their own Gluten Free lager online, which is actually stronger than regular at 5% and not as expensive as some of the others. 

The gluten content in a lot of beer is quite puzzling though, folk online have tested different beers with home testing kits and found some lagers to have very little gluten in them, almost on the verge of being considered gluten free, although it seems to vary a fair bit.

The tennents gf stuff you get in Tesco is ok but tiny bottles (300ml). I haven’t seen San Miguel but that Skinny stuff is shite. I can’t stand cider so that is  a non-starter for me.

Interesting about the testing lagers - I wouldn’t drink cloudy wheat beer for obvious reasons but as I say, a session on the T or even Guinness back in the day doesn’t leave me up or down beyond the normal hangover.

Given all the cheat days in the past the fact I’m going GF now makes me feel ok and the odd lapse is ok. I couldn’t lapse with food at all without being seriously ill which makes me think the beer GF thing is more fluid

Wee early carbonation test of the Elderflower Pale Ale. Still just a wee bit yeasty but this will fade with cooler conditioning in the garage hooefully leaving a delicate, slightly floral ale. Hunter and McSquackle il post them eitger tomorrow, Friday or Monday. I imagine the sweet spot will be 2 to 3 weeks from now....
IMG-20210823-WA0007.thumb.jpeg.d0584ab49623ef28589e9aed91195797.jpeg
Safely received my bottle of Elderflower Pale Ale from@Bairnardo and drank it tonight. Lovely and smooth. Very light on the elderflower to begin with but it seemed to build as I drank more.

Thanks again.20210828_223032.jpg