What Are You Drinking ?

Might be opening myself up to abuse here, but personally I am not a fan of beers at 7%+. Don’t mind it if I’m only having one or two, but feel the 5-6% mark is the sweet spot for flavour and drinkability if you’re having a few. Any less tends to be a bit watery and flavourless, but once it’s into the 7+ it’s not for me.

Edited by Honest_Man#1

7 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Might be opening myself up to abuse here, but personally I am not a fan of beers at 7%+. Don’t mind it if I’m only having one or two, but feel the 5-6% mark is the sweet spot for flavour and drinkability if you’re having a few. Any less tends to be a bit watery and flavourless, but once it’s into the 7+ it’s not for me.

I’d agree. 7% + I find to be a bit “meh” usually. The sharpness of the flavour gets lost in the booziness. Fine for a first pint, two max before moving into something else. Sticking to that strength of beer or lager for more than a couple of pints is a sure-fire sign of someone out to get pished and end up a useless mess that’s falling asleep at the table/bar/in a corner.

I’d say between 4-6% is just about right though as there are some very nice 4%ers on the market too. West 4 being a particular favourite of mine.

First dabble with Camden and a nice cold Hells lager.
No bad. Wid drink again.
C1517801-6217-4856-8472-0FAA1325E107.jpeg.57348a8c0f2345a7ab9a39509d798575.jpeg

They did an advert during the CL semi finals where you could win anything from 4 cans to 24 cans by scanning a QR Code on their advert.

I won a 12 pack, received it a week later.
The next day they sent a 24 pack by what I presume was an accident.

Was absolutely delicious.

50 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

You are right I think. Plenty of high alcohol beers like a lot of the Belgians etc are fantastic but are big and heavy and can only really be enjoyed one or two at a time, even leaving aside the fact that they will leave you in a puddle of your own piss if you have too many.

38 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

I’d agree. 7% + I find to be a bit “meh” usually. The sharpness of the flavour gets lost in the booziness. Fine for a first pint, two max before moving into something else. Sticking to that strength of beer or lager for more than a couple of pints is a sure-fire sign of someone out to get pished and end up a useless mess that’s falling asleep at the table/bar/in a corner.

I’d say between 4-6% is just about right though as there are some very nice 4%ers on the market too. West 4 being a particular favourite of mine.

It’s actually a typo from me there, meant to put 4-6%. Agree there’s plenty of 4-5% beers I think are great, especially if I’m planning to have a good few of them.

For some reason decided not to buy any take home beer in February although did have some elsewhere, 3 in total. It’s now March and first purchase of the month is Swell Lager. Described as a new world lager at 4.5%. It’s slightly cloudy, doesn’t taste like a typical Aussie lager, in that it does have a swell taste. Would drink again, in fact I will as still have 3 to go. Swell Brewery is one of several breweries in or near McLaren Vale wine region south of Adelaide. Web photo.

image.jpeg.fb046940624aed5dfbc98e60994b6f12.jpeg

Edited by Eednud

Don't know if anyone saw it, but goose Island are doing a creme egg stout in collaboration with Cadburys to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the creme egg. Hmmm...

18 hours ago, philpy said:

Don't know if anyone saw it, but goose Island are doing a creme egg stout in collaboration with Cadburys to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the creme egg. Hmmm...

These sold out in 20 seconds this morning. I didn't get any unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

These sold out in 20 seconds this morning. I didn't get any unfortunately.

Completely forgot about it 😂. Although to be fair, might have dodged a bullet. Sounded intriguing, might have been too sweet though I think.