What Are You Drinking ?

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:
4 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I actually prefer the West Indies Porter to the normal stuff.
The only way I ever drink Guinness is by making Jamaican punch. I.e. by mixing it with condensed milk, a raw egg, some vanilla essence and some nutmeg.
I first had that in a Caribbean restaurant in Manchester a few years ago.  Fecking lovely it was, though I haven't been able to make it quite as good myself the half dozen or so times I've tried.

Apparently, according to people who know more than me, the Guinness recipe has changed beyond all recognition in recent years, which pretty much explains why it's now a bit shit. I think the stuff in bottles labelled "extra stout" is still meant to be a bit better.

There's a version of Guinness brewed in Nigeria, which is much stronger. It's pretty much undrinkable IMO. There's also Guinness Antwerpen Stout. I've never tried it and I haven't noticed it shops for a while. I'm not sure if it's still available.

23 minutes ago, mizfit said:

The bottles of extra stout are very good. The fizziness of it can catch you out but it’s a very good beer to have especially at this time of year.

Anyhow, just treated myself to a few bottles of Paulaner for tonight. Looking very much forward to it.

Great minds think alike...

20210130_114347.thumb.jpg.81f0329daae4d6a114f05b89cefe8580.jpg

... fools seldom differ.

On the general subject of stouts, I got a delivery from Beer 52 yesterday. I know I've opted for a combination of light and dark beers but the 4 out of 10 that were dark were all stouts (and a few of them gimmicky at that). Is no-one making ales any more?

Anyway, a few beers last night including an Anchor Steam and an Anti-Establishment IPA from Aldi (I assume Williams Bros.) before trying some from Beer 52.

Table Beer from Wildcard Brewery in London was a nice and drinkable IPA, maybe lacking a wee bit of bite but a lot better than I expected for 2.7%.
The Karma Oatmeal Stout from Melbourne was alright but a wee bit bland for my taste although the wee dram of Ben Bracken Islay 16yo helped wash it down. 20210130_002715.jpg

I won a watch tonight. Closest pub to my flat does two pint cartons of Overtone beers. Turned up in my close and there was a hole in the bottom spraying beer everywhere. I salvaged about 75% of the beer and they brought me a new one at no additional cost.

4 pints at £8.25 - it isn't too hard to see, we're in heaven!

Edited by Marshmallo

GOAT Hazy IPA. This won a gold medal at the 2018 Australian Independent Brewers Association awards and I can see why. From Black Hops Brewery, Biggera Waters on the Gold Coast in Queensland. Would buy again. 

B4E77064-9A3E-4E4D-8B9B-C07963FB2BF7.jpeg

I tried a few of my latest Beer 52 delivery last night.

The Hot Pursuit pale ale was lovely and would certainly try again. Electric Boogaloo was a Passion Fruit IPA- too sweet for my taste, I really don't get this craze for all sorts of fruit infused beers just because a few of them work well.

Splice of Heaven Pine Lime Ice Cream IPA was even sweeter with a horrible after taste. Undrinkable. Went down the sink.

Midnight Maverick was a lovely smooth stout to make up for the previous disappointments and to finish the evening on high note.20210131_023529.jpg

On 24/01/2021 at 10:06, Archie McSquackle said:

I had a few cans of this in early lockdown and loved it but haven't seen it since. Can you remind me where it's available? Not sure but I may have got it in Lidl.

I tried this Black Forest Stout from my Beer 52 Melbourne box last night. I think someone else previously had similar comments but didn't get any Black Forest and found it pretty bland particularly considering the strength. Give me a McEwan's Champion Ale over that any day.

I go for the light and dark selection from Beer 52 but sometimes find the dark selection really disappointing and concentrating on stouts. Maybe some areas don't really do ales or Beer 52 are just picking poorly. 20210123_002658.jpg

Cranachan Killer might be in Sainsburys, used to see it there, only had it on draft at Fierce bar in Edinburgh.

2 hours ago, philpy said:

Polish deli opened in musselburgh, so got a couple of beers to try 

IMG_20210131_150947.jpg

Have had the Mocne from my local Polish deli, very nice, but prefer Warka, had that on draught in Gdansk along with Dark Tyskie.

On 29/01/2021 at 22:52, Caledonian1 said:

Is that a serious comment?  If so, why on earth do you have 40 bottles of spirits you don't like - did you find them in the hoose when you bought it?

Yeah it's a serious comment. I get loads of bottles through my work . Before lockdown I would give most away to friends and family or as raffle prizes for charity as I only like cider or vodka n coke. When the pubs  shut last march , I thought I'll keep some and mibbe have a wee bar in the garden and told some people at work. So now I have umpteen Single malts, tequila , rum, brandy , flavoured gin etc etc etc. Bored with my usual tipple so trying to find something else.