What Are You Drinking ?

Can I ask a quick question of the many connoisseurs on this thread please?

I used to love Light/60 shilling. It was very common at the start of my drinking career in the early 80s, by the 2000s you could only get in in wee man's pubs, and now  has disappeared altogether.

A beautiful pint, looked like Guinness but with almost no head. Tasted like a heavy/sweet stout hybrid. Very, very drinkable. 

Does anyone know if you can still get it anywhere, even in cans/bottles?

Aldi are doing even more Scottish beers than usual on special right now: starting this evening with a bottled version of West's Feierabend pilsner. This is a much better lager on tap than their mediocre, mass market St Mungo and 4 efforts and has bottled quite well too - definitely one to look out for. 

Edited by vikingTON

On 02/09/2020 at 20:40, Academically Deficient said:

I used to love Light/60 shilling. It was very common at the start of my drinking career in the early 80s, by the 2000s you could only get in in wee man's pubs, and now  has disappeared altogether.

A beautiful pint, looked like Guinness but with almost no head. Tasted like a heavy/sweet stout hybrid. Very, very drinkable. 

Wasn't 'light' just the dregs of every barrel of the standard beer that got sent back to the brewer and combined to make a cheap shite pint? I can think of about a dozen good reasons why that's not on the market anymore tbh.

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

Aldi are doing even more Scottish bees than usual on special right now: starting this evening with a bottled version of West's Feierabend pilsner. This is a much better lager on tap than their mediocre, mass market St Mungo and 4 efforts and has bottled quite well too - definitely one to look out for. 

Atleast they wont sting you on the price.

Edited by bennett

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Wasn't 'light' just the dregs of every barrel of the standard beer that got sent back to the brewer and combined to make a cheap shite pint? I can think of about a dozen good reasons why that's not on the market anymore tbh.

No, that was something else entirely and you can still get it in some places in Glasgow. I know the stuff you mean though.

Light was originally a miners drink, hence why it might have declined since the 80s😆. It was probably safer than the water in ye olden days.

Belhaven used to do a lovely version on draught but not seen it for about 20 years.

Never mind, I'll grow a beard and join CamRA.

Samuel Smith Organic Lager

20200904_192605.thumb.jpg.b3da56cd5d2a6c1957a7edfdbfc5f0ed.jpg

My work occasionally takes me to various shit hole towns in the north of England. One advantage of this is that there's usually a Samuel Smith pub to frequent in the evenings.

I like their beers but I've never seen them north of the border until today. Aitken's Wine in Dundee are now stocking them so I snapped a few up.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Wasn't 'light' just the dregs of every barrel that got sent back to the brewer and combined to make a cheap shite pint?.

Like mouldy ham getting boiled down and ‘reformulated’?  Great days.

Another from the Aldi range: Barney's Cherry Red: a sour, rye, red ale with Morello cherry juice. The can promises a kriek-type taste though it's actually nowhere near as big on the cherries. It's still very good though: not too sweet and the sour note makes it well balanced and very easy to drink. I haven't tried any of their beers before but will look forward to the Apricot sherbet version that I picked up for next time.

Onto a chocolate and coconut porter from the Dutch Beer 52 box, which is going down a treat with some good rum.

14 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

No, that was something else entirely and you can still get it in some places in Glasgow. I know the stuff you mean though.

Light was originally a miners drink, hence why it might have declined since the 80s😆. It was probably safer than the water in ye olden days.

Belhaven used to do a lovely version on draught but not seen it for about 20 years.

Never mind, I'll grow a beard and join CamRA.

Wasn't Mild the same drink ?

13 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Samuel Smith Organic Lager

20200904_192605.thumb.jpg.b3da56cd5d2a6c1957a7edfdbfc5f0ed.jpg

My work occasionally takes me to various shit hole towns in the north of England. One advantage of this is that there's usually a Samuel Smith pub to frequent in the evenings.

I like their beers but I've never seen them north of the border until today. Aitken's Wine in Dundee are now stocking them so I snapped a few up.

Love a lot of what they do - the imperial stout they do is incredible...like old-school black treacle that gets you pished - quite a few of the bottle shops around Glasgow are stocking them now.

5 minutes ago, taurus said:

Wasn't Mild the same drink ?

The terms are very confusing. The stuff I'm talking about was very dark in colour, almost black, and had a faint caramel/sweet taste.

Found this on Beeradvocate, which seems to confirm it has gone to the great bottle bank in the sky.

From memory, it was best consumed with Embassy tipped red packet. 

20200905_093106.jpg

1 minute ago, Academically Deficient said:

The terms are very confusing. The stuff I'm talking about was very dark in colour, almost black, and had a faint caramel/sweet taste.

Found this on Beeradvocate, which seems to confirm it has gone to the great bottle bank in the sky.

From memory, it was best consumed with Embassy tipped red packet. 

20200905_093106.jpg

Maybe if I made a cocktail of Guinness and sweetheart stout I could get close enough.

Helluva drouth on me now.

2 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

Maybe if I made a cocktail of Guinness and sweetheart stout I could get close enough.

Helluva drouth on me now.

It's a few months since I've been in, but The Tollbooth at Glasgow Cross sells Tennents 60 shilling. I agree, it's a great session drink ( think it's about 3% abv). The Tollbooth is alright as Celtic pubs go. I go there to watch the Gaelic football but leave before the singers start. Apart from a pub in EK I think that's the only place I've seen that still sells it. Don't think I've ever seen it in an offies.

23 minutes ago, I am Partacus said:

It's a few months since I've been in, but The Tollbooth at Glasgow Cross sells Tennents 60 shilling. I agree, it's a great session drink ( think it's about 3% abv). The Tollbooth is alright as Celtic pubs go. I go there to watch the Gaelic football but leave before the singers start. Apart from a pub in EK I think that's the only place I've seen that still sells it. Don't think I've ever seen it in an offies.

Thanks, great news. Its actually worth going to the Tolbooth for 👍

I'll have to go on my own though.

Off topic, but as a nieve youngster, I once went to Bairds Bar before a Ramones gig at Barrowland.  Big mistake.

I'm sure the Turf in Irvine still does 60 shilling on draught.