What Are You Drinking ?

In the process of moving from East Lancs to Greater Manchester I thought it might be prudent to acquire a taste for this stuff - sometimes described as "The Cream of Manchester"
Not quite there yet, but I'm prepared to persevere with it.
download.jpg.feede7eb8869ad2b573b72ca3e37e0f8.jpg
Melanie likes it!KFR_MEN171017Sykes_03.jpeg

To drink any of the 5 litre mini casks, from any brewery, three days is about it. Just like larger casks, the more space you leave in the cask, the less effective the build up of CO2 becomes.

A couple of hours after delivery / pickup is all they need to settle. It's not lager, so you don't want it overly chilled, and a cool place, in the kitchen, for example, will do fine - I'm lucky to have a cellar, which is ideal. You could chill it in the fridge before opening, I suppose, but I have picked up casks from Fyne Ales and taken them in the camper in July to Scottish islands, left them on the lea side of the van and they have poured and tasted great.

Fyne Ales delivery costs £2:50 per cask, taking it to about £2.20 per pint of live ale, which I think worth it. It's exactly the same as from a pub font - although the obvious other things are missing - so, as someone who far prefers live beer, I think it's worth the extra 40p or so per pint over bottles.

You can also get mini casks of decent - if generic and big brewery - ale from supermarkets for £15 or so, and they are pretty good. Adams Ghost Ship and Sharps Atlantic are two decent examples.

I like to support the smaller Scottish brewers, though, and Stewarts in Edinburgh is also doing good minis. All the breweries are struggling, however, to get enough mini casks to meet demand just now.

Try them. If your preference is live beer, it's well worth it.

That's a lot of mini-casks! I didn't know they did them. I drive past them for family weekends away quite regularly (when we're not in lockdown obviously) and one of those looks very tempting. Do you need to keep it in the fridge to keep it cool? We would have to take our weekend's food out!

To drink any of the 5 litre mini casks, from any brewery, three days is about it. Just like larger casks, the more space you leave in the cask, the less effective the build up of CO2 becomes.
A couple of hours after delivery / pickup is all they need to settle. It's not lager, so you don't want it overly chilled, and a cool place, in the kitchen, for example, will do fine - I'm lucky to have a cellar, which is ideal. You could chill it in the fridge before opening, I suppose, but I have picked up casks from Fyne Ales and taken them in the camper in July to Scottish islands, left them on the lea side of the van and they have poured and tasted great.
Fyne Ales delivery costs £2:50 per cask, taking it to about £2.20 per pint of live ale, which I think worth it. It's exactly the same as from a pub font - although the obvious other things are missing - so, as someone who far prefers live beer, I think it's worth the extra 40p or so per pint over bottles.
You can also get mini casks of decent - if generic and big brewery - ale from supermarkets for £15 or so, and they are pretty good. Adams Ghost Ship and Sharps Atlantic are two decent examples.
I like to support the smaller Scottish brewers, though, and Stewarts in Edinburgh is also doing good minis. All the breweries are struggling, however, to get enough mini casks to meet demand just now.
Try them. If your preference is live beer, it's well worth it.

Thanks for the response. I'm sure I could manage with 3 days! It looks as though their availability is limited at the moment so I'll hold off just now until there's more choice, seeing as it's £5 delivery for 2 casks.
I've seen the two you mentioned in Tesco but will need to try single bottles before going for a cask.

On 28/05/2020 at 20:14, Sergeant Wilson said:

It's fucking rotten as are all the similar beers. Worthingtons, John Smith etc.

They are all stinking. Add Tetleys to the list.

I always thought it was flat cap and whippet types who drank it, often to wash down a hot pot.

Tennents Lager.

Havent had one for fucking weeks. Have been on a wee bit of a beer journey trying all different styles etc. Any fears that Tennents would be somehow tainted on my return have been put to rest.

f**k me that hit the spot. [emoji7] T

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Tennents Lager.

Havent had one for fucking weeks. Have been on a wee bit of a beer journey trying all different styles etc. Any fears that Tennents would be somehow tainted on my return have been put to rest.

f**k me that hit the spot. emoji7.png T

For all the great beer Belgium has, I still miss a pint of Tennents

Anyway for tonight, not had this one before I don't think

1E2AEC65-BD21-469F-8503-97F9D5379B76.jpeg