Rugby Union

kiwififer

Got taken along to Scotstoun for the first time last night by a Warriors season ticket holding mate. Not a classic game but an enjoyable event. Great match day set up, pints in the clubhouse before and after, plus one for each half with a whisky chaser. Ridiculous that a similar experience can't be had at any football ground in Scotland. 

On 02/03/2023 at 14:59, honestly united said:

I think mentally this group are tougher but obviously still prone to mistakes. 

They are top ranked team for a reason, but they look significantly better with Sexton on the park. If we can keep the scoreboard close until he goes off about the hour mark we are in with a chance, but if we let them build any sort of lead they'll shut us down with their lying on the ball, slowing things down etc. Also we need to avoid any sort of arm wrestle up front, and keep the ball moving where possible - or go fully the opposite as they are probably planning on a quick game

Another game dependent on the referee not letting them away with their usual illegal shit

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

12 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

You see, I'm not too sure about this and yet another figment of the Irish medias imagination. 

Sextons stats in last 2 six nations have been a bit meh..., Hes playing with some great players, and dont think he's currently any better than Ross Byrne. 

Irish still convinced we are talking ourselves up... 

Scotland by 5 🤣

Ross Byrne is no great shakes, his stats may be better, but Sexton brings a lot more in experience and organising others and making sure they are playing in the right areas

A typical flat atmosphere as is the norm when Zebre visit. 

However a bonus point win at home to Zebre is standard practice traditionally so Franco did the experiment of Cummings in the back row which gives him more game time along with utilising Bean and du Preez in the 2nd row.

Franco wasn't happy with the performance but the players know a home game to Zebre is basically a competitive friendly without sounding disrespectful.

Coaches into the new season will be interesting. Townsend could stay with Scotland but if he doesn't I think it'll be the Blues head coach Leon McDonald. Ian Foster doesn't want to stay as the All Blacks head coach so I think it'll be Scott Robertson at Crusaders who'll get the NZ job.

I wonder who'll then take over from Mike Blair at Edinburgh? Dean Richards was considered for Glasgow before Franco Smith came in so he could be an option?

Edited by come on shire

Leinster are a ridiculously strong squad. Have they not lost this season (defeats in Heineken Cup Final and URC Semis the last time they were beaten?)

Glasgow were good enough against Zebre but it wasn't a great performance, however the opposition was a bit meh. Jonny Matthews loves a try against Zebre right enough.

19 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

That's a very decent appointment.

Interesting to see England have gone with Smith at 10 against France, Farrell on the bench, Genge is the captain :blink:

Ashman would be a good signing.  Quite surprised that he’s not ahead of Fraser Brown if he’s fit, at this point. 

I think Ashman’s scrummaging is the issue at the moment. It’s not bad, but it’s not as good as Brown or Turner. IIRC he’s only just 23 though, so he will only get stronger in that area. It’s his only real weakness, and he’s still pretty decent at it. 

16 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

And there's yer teams...

Fq3BwtOWYAESUME?format=jpg&name=900x900

Fq22jh6WAAAg2Ck?format=png&name=small

I think I would rather have Watson in the backrow rather than Dempsey, however if the pitch is wet and heavy going and porbably not running rugby weather having Dempsey as a bit more grunt early, with Watson coming on when others are tired could be a good call. Otherwise as expected

Watching the U-20’s on RTÉ it’s Ireland 47 - Scotland 0 at half time !

what’s going on with underage teams ? Ireland look like monsters beside them. 

Finished 82-7 in the end. Scottish No4 got a red with 10 minutes to go. 

Edited by denltfc

1 hour ago, denltfc said:

Watching the U-20’s on RTÉ it’s Ireland 47 - Scotland 0 at half time !

what’s going on with underage teams ? Ireland look like monsters beside them. 

Finished 82-7 in the end. Scottish No4 got a red with 10 minutes to go. 

Is Scot Gemmill the manager?