Rugby Union

kiwififer

Gatland will need time to fix things. Wales's issues are far more than just the performance of the national team. The grassroots are needing fixed and there's players leaving for example Dan Biggar has went to France.

If we fail to beat this Wales side at Murrayfield then it's time Toony to go.. 

33 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Wouldn’t touch him for Scotland.

If you thought Toony and Finn had a bad relationship, imagine what Eddie would be like.

I don't know, was it not the private school posh boys Eddie hated? I think him and Finn would get on fine.

I wonder if England will pull off a coup like Wales did with Gatland or they need to bring in a seat warmer till after the world cup?

Either way Scotland are away to England then at home to Wales in the 1st 2 games of the 6N next year.  Hopefully Rome isn't built in a day and we catch them both in a transition...

I wonder if Wales were so quick to bring in Gatland as they already had an inkling that the RFU were sniffing round?

I would imagine the RFU will go with interm until end of 6 Nations (ie Steve Borthwick has been touted) and see how that goes, although given the southern hemisphere is off season there is the possibility of a big name instead - ie Robertson.

Im 50/50 on Jones for Scotland, more for what he did with a semi pro Japan side than anything else. With the players at his disposal he should have done better at England, but I get where he was coming from with the pampered public school boy comments, and he would be coming to pretty much more of the same at Scotland.

I think there's a mix of private and state schooling in the SRU. Edinburgh players were traditionally private schooled maybe apart from the Borders players whereas Glasgow players were state schooled. I don't know if that's still the case.

Eddie Jones had a 73% win rate including getting to the world cup final in 2019 so I think it's this year that's been the disappointment. Worst result was losing at home to Argentina who're a good team now. Richard Cockerill to take charge on an interim basis.

I have to say, that I thought England looked pretty turgid, this autumn.  I couldn't understand the Smith, Farrell, Tuilagi combination.  They are all cracking players, but Smith's elan, is blunted by shuffling a ball to Farrell who is no line break threat at 12.  Which in turn means that Tuilagi is blunted as either being the obvious runner every pass goes to, or even worse, is used as a kick chaser.

If you're going to play the power game (which it looked like England were trying to do), then (IMHO) drop Smith, play Farrell at 10 and Tuilagi at 12 as a modern day Jamie Roberts and have Slade in at 13 (who I rate very highly).  No defender could afford to ignore Tuilagi on a charge, even as dummy runner, so creating gaps. 

England have so much talent at their disposal, but have (again IMHO) lacked ambition when using it.

On the plus side, after year and years of belittling Russell, most of my mates have come round to the 'he's a fvukkin genius' way of thinking.

Finally, I think Jones is a great coach and a 73% win record is not to be sniffed at.

Yours

aDONis  

Edited by aDONisSheep

I don't think England quite have the level of quality people often think. I think the Premiership is good for producing lots of players, maybe not so good for producing really good ones. Lots of players who look great at that level don't make the step up to international, we've seen it plenty of times with Scotland. Also, with so many players playing for different clubs continuity must be hard. England were at their best when the spine of the team were Saracen's.

It's remarkable that Jones kept his job as long as he did. England have been drastically underperforming for two years and even before that were extremely inconsistent. I doubt we'll see another England coach lead them to two 5th placed 6 Nations finishes in four years like he did and still be held in such high regard. Maybe they'll start beating us again now.

The reaction to the Eddie Jones news by all the twitter rugby analysis guys who used to do good work on individual games or strategies but have increasingly become galaxy brained big theory guys has been very funny. Yes he is always working towards the world cup and I wouldn't be sacking anyone 9 months before it but they have been pretty stinking for a while now. Was fun to see Squidge banging the "he's holding things back for the WC!" drum as if some set piece moves and kick off strategies means it doesn't matter that they are getting battered all over the pitch by SA and even Argentina. 

That said... Get rid of toonie and get Eddie in, he likes a world cup 

13 hours ago, ajwffc said:

If the SRU do the right thing and do the same they should go for Scott Robertson

The issue will be if we get rid of GT now, unless we have someone already lined up, we are going to have to wait until England appoint their new coach as you would think all the top coaches will have there hats in the ring for both positions. Robertson was touted with us, Eng & Wal at the end of super rugby so would imagine he will be in demand. To be honest I have no idea who would be a likely candidate if we did get rid - there are no local candidates as far as I can see, although Stuart Lancaster would be an interesting shout.

Bringing in Jones as a consultant or technical advisor to Toonie for 9 months would be ideal. I think Toonie is a good coach, he just changes his mind to often or overcomplicates / over thinks things. Having Jones there to bounce idea's off, or to tell him to stick to one style of play that works could be what we need through the world cup - even if its to kept GT in check and to tell him Finn's the first name on the team sheet every week

Edited by honestly united

47 minutes ago, come on shire said:

With this team you'd be forgiven for thinking that we're doing really well in the league so we're resting our best team for the Challenge Cup...

Screenshot_2022-12-09-14-05-56-74_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

Good to see first start for Du Preez, and Jones and Fifita returning from injury, but yeah pretty much showing no interest in progressing and all the big names rested