Rugby Union

kiwififer

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Toony blackballed him as part of his masterplan to Bin Finn. 

He's miles better than Thompson. 

Miotti had some personal issues that meant he struggled to settle in last season.

He should be the main man this season

1 minute ago, GAD said:

Yeah, was thinking the same, he's played well tonight, both attack and defence. Is he Scottish?

He went to St Andrew's College, but sadly the one in the Eastern Cape, so he won't qualify even under the Dave Hilton protocol.

Cancelliere is superb as well - one of those guys where you can hear the crowd hold their breath when he gets the ball

55 minutes ago, GAD said:

Dunno why Kennedy firstly took that out the scrum then secondly didn't go wide on advantage. Really should have scored.

I think the forwards walked right over the ball so it was out before Kennedy got involved. 

All the young Scots looked good. Ferrie went to Calderglen High in EK like Jonny Gray and came through at Hamilton.  Scotland needs more state school boys coming through or it'll be back to the days of Chris Paterson and Dan Parks.

Edited by Detournement

20 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I think the forwards walked right over the ball so it was out before Kennedy got involved. 

All the young Scots looked good. Ferrie went to Calderglen High in EK like Jonny Gray and came through at Hamilton.  Scotland needs more state school boys coming through or it'll be back to the days of Chris Paterson and Dan Parks.

Scotland needs bigger players 

11 hours ago, Detournement said:

Totally agree on this point. Still remember some of the stick Rory Hughes got for being a "ned". Guys like that should be celebrated coming through. Rugby should also be targeting bigger lads who don't make it at football.

I don't now what it's like now in terms of getting recognised at club level in school age. Back in my day you pretty much had to be playing for a private school to even get looked at. A private school in Edinburgh was preferable. 

4 hours ago, GAD said:

Totally agree on this point. Still remember some of the stick Rory Hughes got for being a "ned". Guys like that should be celebrated coming through. Rugby should also be targeting bigger lads who don't make it at football.

I don't now what it's like now in terms of getting recognised at club level in school age. Back in my day you pretty much had to be playing for a private school to even get looked at. A private school in Edinburgh was preferable. 

There's been a new tournament hosted at Merchiston the last couple of years between some of the better Scottish private schools, club teams and a variety of English private schools. Both years Boroughmuir club team have been the best performing Scottish side, and although it's possible that a number of their players do attend private school, most will come from state schools. Ayr, Stirling County and Mackie in Stonehaven are also consistently producing good teams at the moment.