Rugby Union

kiwififer

2 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

A paddling for the under 20s against Georgia.311e2dec3807ce20058ceff3fcc4ace1.jpg

Have the Under 20s always been this terrible?   I know the schools/age rep teams used to horribly nepotistic, but I had thought things might have changed. 

Have the Under 20s always been this terrible?   I know the schools/age rep teams used to horribly nepotistic, but I had thought things might have changed. 
I've no idea tbf, but results at all age groups the last few years have been dismal.

We used to be OK, before professionalism, but it tended to be cyclical in that we would have a  good team for a year or so then drop off again but since the start of the u20 6 nations in 2008 we have won the wooden spoon 7 time (so every other year) and our best finish is 3rd. (so closely mirrors the seniors :) )

I was looking through the old squads, we finished last in 2011 with a team that contained 2 Lions in Hogg and Watson and an Olympic medalist in Bennett. When we finished 3rd in 2015 the squad contained Bradbury, Cummings, Z Fagerson, Ritchie, G Horne, Hutchinson, Kinghorn and Vellacott

To be fair we have been on a downward spiral for a while, we got relegated from the top table to the world rugby u20 back in 2019 and havent had a chance to get promoted back in due to Covid. At least we didnt spit the dummy and get the rest of the 6 nations to walk out on hte competition like we did when we got relegated from the top table of the FIRA U20's back in the day.

I've not seen any of the games, but from what I have heard the majority of the issues are down to fitness and conditioning which is the one thing that should be easy to fix with hard work. The majority of these guys are all institute of sport so full time, you have to wonder what they are spending all there time doing. We just dont prepare the u20's properly.

I was looking at the 2019 squad, Redpath was playing for England, Garbisi for Italy and Thompson for Scotland. Out of those 3 Thompson is actually the oldest (a year older than Garbisi, and 6 months older than Redpath) yet when anyone ever comments on him its he's still a youngster and not ready for international rugby, yet Redpath is seen as first pick Scotland centre when fit, and Garbisi is an intergral part of the Italy team.

We just to a crap job of developing players in Scotland. I actually think the Super 6 could be the answer but it needs a full season (ie 20 games) as you should be able to concentrate all your young talent from 18-25 into 6 squads, then they are playing a decent level with good coaches and getting them up to proper fitness levels so they are ready to step up to the pro teams

Bit of a change upfront, but same backs as last week

Scotland team to face Argentina at the Estadio Padre Ernesto Martearena, Salta, live on Sky Sports, Saturday 9 July - kick-off 8.10pm BST.

15. Rory Hutchinson - Northampton Saints - 6 caps
14. Darcy Graham - Edinburgh Rugby - 28 caps
13. Mark Bennett - Edinburgh Rugby - 25 caps
12. Sam Johnson - Glasgow Warriors - 25 caps
11. Duhan van der Merwe - Worcester Warriors - 17 caps
10. Blair Kinghorn - Edinburgh Rugby - 32 caps
9. Ben White - London Irish - 5 caps

1. Pierre Schoeman - Edinburgh Rugby- 10 caps
2. Dave Cherry - Edinburgh Rugby - 5 caps
3. Zander Fagerson - Glasgow Warriors - 48 caps
4. Sam Skinner - Edinburgh Rugby - 21 caps
5. Grant Gilchrist - Edinburgh Rugby - (Captain) - 54 caps
6. Rory Darge - Glasgow Warriors - 5 caps
7. Hamish Watson - Edinburgh Rugby (Vice-Captain) – 49 caps
8. Matt Fagerson - Glasgow Warriors - 22 caps

Replacements

16. George Turner - Glasgow Warriors - 26 caps
17. Jamie Bhatti - Glasgow Warriors - 23 caps
18. Javan Sebastian - Scarlets - 2 caps
19. Scott Cummings - Glasgow Warriors - 21 caps
20. Andy Christie - Saracens - 1 cap
21. Ali Price - Glasgow Warriors - 52 caps
22. Ross Thompson - Glasgow Warriors - 1 cap
23. Kyle Rowe - London Irish - 0 caps

The bookies don't fancy us apparently.  

It's about time to give Thompson a start.  If not now then when?

Kinghorn isn't an international calibre player.

After finishing 5th in the 2019 6 Nations we've then finished 4th 3 seasons in a row.  We're basically static and starting to go backwards.  If we lose the series tomorrow night then there should be coaching changes ahead of the World Cup. 

However, the SRU will probably want us to limp to the World Cup and get paddled by Ireland and SA (doesn't matter as long as we finish 3rd in the pool) so they can let them go without having to put their hands in their pocket. 

Thompson had a horrendous end to the season. He completely shat the bed in South Africa so I don't think there is much to suggest he will rise to the occasssion playing in Argentina. White starting is a gamble but he needs to be looked at now to see if he's capable of backing up Price in France. 

I don't really agree with the coaching change argument. The reality is that against any decent opponent we have to win the game from 9 and 10. We definitely are not going to win the game on the gainline like Ireland like do.

Hastings being injured is a blow on this tour but you can't sack Townsend because it's impossible to win in the SH with Kinghorn at 10. At the moment Finn is the national team and if we do go down 3 nil then the SRU should tell Townsend his top priority is to have a happy Russell on the pitch at the RWC. 

The Argentina tour is the start of the build up to the world cup. After the Lions tour Im quite happy that the likes of Hogg & Russell are getting  a break over the summer to recharge rather than being on tour then straight back to pre-season training in August then a full season before the WC.

The hope is that Townsend learns something about his fringe players, if nothing else if he realises Kinghorn wont cut it as an international stand off it will be worth it.

Im hoping Thompson as least gets some game time this week, as I thought he's had a decent season, albeit faded along with the rest of the team towards the end of the season. When you think Glasgow signed Weir and Miotta as top 2 choices at 10, Thompson has played his way into first choice on merit unlike at Edinburgh where Kinghorn is somehow first choice and has pushed out Van Der Walt who is a decent club stand off (not international class but good enough) and Chamberlain (who I thought looked a good prospect) who has been shown the door.

I feel Thompson was asked to do a lot at Glasgow last year. When you introduce a young 10 you hope that the squad around him supports him but Glasgow's leadership, including from senior players was pretty poor. They often seemed like 15 players who met on the morning of a game. 

Thompson can be excellent at times but has been playing low on confidence for Glasgow this season.  I think a lot of that had to do with playing for a head coach who had no game plan and poor communication skills with his squad.  

This is the start of the World Cup build up and if we lose it puts pressure on heading into the autumn then next year's 6N.  What I gathered from the 1st test is that we didn't know how to handle defensive pressure and, despite us doing well to get back into the game, there was no Plan B when we got caught out at the restart (which in itself is an issue)...