Rugby Union

kiwififer

Pete Horne to join Glasgow's coaching team as skills coach next season.  I'm happy with this as his brother's in the playing squad and he knows the club inside out too. Al Dickinson to remain as scrum coach.  Nigel Carolan and Pete Murchie staying in the coaching team too.

Just the head coach to think about now...

Tim Swinson is retiring after the Premiership final. He seemed to raise his game down South to a level that he couldn't reach in his final season at Glasgow.

Maitland started and Taylor was subbed on in the semi final the past weekend.

Edited by Detournement

13 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Tim Swinson is retiring after the Premiership final. He seemed to raise his game down to a level that he couldn't reach in his final season at Glasgow.

Maitland started and Taylor was subbed on in the semi final the past weekend.

Did he not say he was retiring when he left Glasgow, only to sign for Sarries in the Championship a month or so later? Due to Covid the Championship was a reduced number of games and didnt start until Christmas time so the break probably gave him a chance to recuperate and go again.

9 minutes ago, honestly united said:

Did he not say he was retiring when he left Glasgow, only to sign for Sarries in the Championship a month or so later? Due to Covid the Championship was a reduced number of games and didnt start until Christmas time so the break probably gave him a chance to recuperate and go again.

Maybe but you do get the impression that professionalism is on a different level at clubs like Saracens and Leinster.

They are clubs which are very tied into private school networks and the financial sector which seems to lead to a very winning oriented culture.  The Scottish mentality is that we would rather lose the game than be a complete p***k like Farrell or Sexton which holds us back in terms of results. There is a similar thing in German football with Bayern having the FC Hollywood mentality.

Edited by Detournement

17 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Was a great player and always thought he'd get a coaching job in Scotland at some point. Has he got any experience?

He's already been involved with the assistant coaching set up With Scotland and Edinburgh in the past under Matt Williams and Frank Hadden.

However as a head coach in his own right he got Tasman to the NZ domestic play offs in 2008.  

Between 2009 and 2016 he was head coach of the Crusaders.  Apart from 2015 they were always in the Super Rugby play offs including getting to the final in 2011 and 2014.

He was in charge of Bath between 2016 and 2019.  They never got into the play offs but he got them into the top 6 each season to get them into the Champions Cup.  In his 1st season he got them to the Challenge Cup semi finals and in his 2nd season they were runners up in the Anglo-Welsh Cup.

Just now he's in charge of Toshiba in the Japanese League.  He's just got them to the play offs for the 2nd season in a row but they got knocked out.

So basically he has no experience of winning silverware like Dave Rennie did but he's always been in charge of competitive teams.  I really hope that if he comes he finally wins something...

14 minutes ago, come on shire said:

He's already been involved with the assistant coaching set up With Scotland and Edinburgh in the past under Matt Williams and Frank Hadden.

However as a head coach in his own right he got Tasman to the NZ domestic play offs in 2008.  

Between 2009 and 2016 he was head coach of the Crusaders.  Apart from 2015 they were always in the Super Rugby play offs including getting to the final in 2011 and 2014.

He was in charge of Bath between 2016 and 2019.  They never got into the play offs but he got them into the top 6 each season to get them into the Champions Cup.  In his 1st season he got them to the Challenge Cup semi finals and in his 2nd season they were runners up in the Anglo-Welsh Cup.

Just now he's in charge of Toshiba in the Japanese League.  He's just got them to the play offs for the 2nd season in a row but they got knocked out.

So basically he has no experience of winning silverware like Dave Rennie did but he's always been in charge of competitive teams.  I really hope that if he comes he finally wins something...

I remember him as assistant at Edinburgh after hanging up his boots, but didnt realise it was that long ago!

Think he would be a decent option, but not sure if it is worth breaking the bank to get him over from Japan

20 minutes ago, honestly united said:

I remember him as assistant at Edinburgh after hanging up his boots, but didnt realise it was that long ago!

Think he would be a decent option, but not sure if it is worth breaking the bank to get him over from Japan

According to The Offside Line Glasgow Warriors aren't passing comment on Todd Blackadder...

Talking of Glasgow.... Anyone else a season ticket holder?

I'm swaying on renewing as £427 is eyewateringly expensive for 9 league games and 2 challenge cup games especially when games are shunted around at will for TV. This means I end up potentially missing a few with football or work which makes it even worse value. 

Genuinely thinking of a Premier Sports sub and picking games.

16 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

I'm swaying on renewing as £427 is eyewateringly expensive for 9 league games and 2 challenge cup games especially when games are shunted around at will for TV. This means I end up potentially missing a few with football or work which makes it even worse value. 

Ooft, and people moan about the price of football 😅

38 minutes ago, Lex said:

Ooft, and people moan about the price of football 😅

When I first went to Glasgow games it was much cheaper than football. Used to get a bunch of 'any game' tickets too - £15 a ticket for Firhill in the Jackie Husband stand. Friday nights were rugby, then walk for a few pints in the Bon Accord or West End. Since the move to Scotstoun and the title win the prices have been ratcheting up. 

Scotland v Ukraine cost me £25 notes, South Stand, top tier at Hampden. Compare that to a 6 Nations game or indeed Glasgow v Zebre in the main stand at Scotstoun. 

3 hours ago, flyingscot said:

£40 a game is a ridiculous price. I've not been for a few years but I used to be able to take the lad to Wasps for less than £20 total. At the same time Glasgow played Northampton and Northampton were charging £35.

International tickets arent bad, 6 Nations are though - why it costs twice as much (or more) to watch Scotland Wales as it does Scotland SA or NZ is beyond me.

Edit to add: Commonwealth 7's was only £22 a ticket as well

Edited by honestly united

3 hours ago, flyingscot said:

it is £325 for the dearest Edinburgh one. Also if you want to get a new Glasgow season ticket it is £447 for the most expensive one