Rugby Union

kiwififer

Guest Bob Mahelp

Fiji get kicked in the nuts constantly against tier 1 sides. Their reputation and their 'lower' status means that they rarely get the benefit of the doubt from referees that are eager to penalise them and ignore similar offences from the 'bigger' side. 

That's not to say that the idiot who got red carded didn't deserve it, but they were undoubtedly harshly done by in the ruck today. 

Only got back from Edinburgh last night so didnt want to comment before watching the game back this morning but some take aways from me are.

Before we play SA next we need to get the message across about how much SA time waste. Its over a minute between the whistle blowing and then SA restarting the game with a lineout or scrum, Scotland were watiing on them each time. At penalties its way over a minute - i noticed a few on the stadium clock and was noticeable watching it back. Cotter brings it up in the comentary and im hioping the refs start picking up on it and getting them to get a move on. If a ref gives a fk against them once for time wasting it would help sort it out. You can see when we started speeding the game up they start to struggle.

Addtionally I love Toonies attention to detail and some of his innovative plays, but I hope he starts to realise that we are not going to win if we cant get the basics right, and by that I mean hitting lineouts when it matters. We were in the game at 15-21 then lost 3 lineouts in a row which took us from the SA 5m line and all the momentum with us, to SA knocking over another penalty and re-taking the momentum and the score extending out to 15-24.

I did think the ref was ok yesterday, with 2 exceptions, in the scrum, the SA prop was getting under Fagerson and driving him up off his feet which I thought was illeagal yet Fagerson got penalised. Also I dont like the fact that as soon as SA were getting the scrum moving its immediately a penalty, normally for Scotland wheeling, however that is some skill for a Scottish prop to wheel a scrum while going backwards at a rate of knotts!

Again after last week, where we didnt play that well yet won, again we didnt play well, yet only lost due to our errors rather than SA being so much better - im old enough to remember us getting hammered and being nowhere near good enough. We have players that are good enough to go up against SA, its silly mistakes and small margins - too many passes nowhere near the intended receiver, missed lineouts etc.

Also on the 2nd Mapimpi try I still havent seen a decent replay as there was no TMO replay of the try but I was sure the last pass actually crossed the 22 going forward. WIll need to see if there is more replays of the try.

Only got back from Edinburgh last night so didnt want to comment before watching the game back this morning but some take aways from me are.
Before we play SA next we need to get the message across about how much SA time waste. Its over a minute between the whistle blowing and then SA restarting the game with a lineout or scrum, Scotland were watiing on them each time. At penalties its way over a minute - i noticed a few on the stadium clock and was noticeable watching it back. Cotter brings it up in the comentary and im hioping the refs start picking up on it and getting them to get a move on. If a ref gives a fk against them once for time wasting it would help sort it out. You can see when we started speeding the game up they start to struggle.
Addtionally I love Toonies attention to detail and some of his innovative plays, but I hope he starts to realise that we are not going to win if we cant get the basics right, and by that I mean hitting lineouts when it matters. We were in the game at 15-21 then lost 3 lineouts in a row which took us from the SA 5m line and all the momentum with us, to SA knocking over another penalty and re-taking the momentum and the score extending out to 15-24.
I did think the ref was ok yesterday, with 2 exceptions, in the scrum, the SA prop was getting under Fagerson and driving him up off his feet which I thought was illeagal yet Fagerson got penalised. Also I dont like the fact that as soon as SA were getting the scrum moving its immediately a penalty, normally for Scotland wheeling, however that is some skill for a Scottish prop to wheel a scrum while going backwards at a rate of knotts!
Again after last week, where we didnt play that well yet won, again we didnt play well, yet only lost due to our errors rather than SA being so much better - im old enough to remember us getting hammered and being nowhere near good enough. We have players that are good enough to go up against SA, its silly mistakes and small margins - too many passes nowhere near the intended receiver, missed lineouts etc.
Also on the 2nd Mapimpi try I still havent seen a decent replay as there was no TMO replay of the try but I was sure the last pass actually crossed the 22 going forward. WIll need to see if there is more replays of the try.
Rugby Union is a stop/start game by it's nature with scrums and lineouts etc, but they really need to do something to increase the amount of time the ball is in play. Here's the stats from Twickenham and Murrayfield from the weekend.

That is definitely a stronger team. I'd like to see Steyn on the wing but Toony is Toony. Kinghorn over Hastings is another mad one. 

I'm still pissed off about Saturday. Ireland beat the All Blacks with Sexton, Earls, POM, Healy and Murray all 32 and over. England had 32 year old Ben Youngs at 9 and would have started 31 year old Joe Marler if it wasn't for Covid. We on the other hand wouldn't play Maitland and Mel because of 'building'. Obviously you need to add depth but games against the top teams should be the strongest XV every time, that's how Ireland, SA, England and NZ do it. Handing out caps for experience is a loser mentality, I've seen people say Rufus McLean should be playing this weekend "to boost his confidence" as if it's minis rather than elite sport.

Edited by Detournement

Why has he gone with 6 forward v's Japan? And why Kinghorn?

Starting 15 would have been better than what we had vs SA. Cummings coming back from injury is a boost (pity he wasnt ready last week), and I thought Turner was going to be out long term the way he went off. Will be interesting to see how Bayliss gets on at 8. 

Have never seen Sebastian play, and Richardson didnt stand out when playing for his club so will be hoping they look good additions, would have rather had Dobie, Thompson and Steyn on the bench as getting them used to full international rugby rather than Horne who's a good club player and no more, and Kinghorn.

I can't understand why Steyn isn't in the squad.  Darcy's good but Steyn's more dangerous going forward imho.  It's great to see Turner and Cummings back.  However, Cummings has been out for a fair spell so I'd maybe have benched him and let Skinner start.

Toony said that he's got an eye on the 6N.  However, Japan are an established side who'll be dangerous so he really can't be too experimental.  They're missing Yu Tamura at 10 but they've got Michael Leitch in the back row and Kotaro Matsushima is Clermont Auvergne's flying machine.

No shame in losing to the Boks and we played well in parts but for this autumn to be considered successful we really need to finish with a win, even if we did beat Australia...