Rugby Union

kiwififer

47 minutes ago, GAD said:

Yeah, I think Glasgow are in a bit of trouble here, struggling to get in the game. They are defending well enough, but it's going to break at some point.

They win ugly eventually. 

The Lions all looked like seasoned pros so a good win for a Glasgow team with a lot of inexperienced players. 

Uruguay are 13-8 at HT (29-27 on aggregate). Winner qualifies as Americas 1 loser plays Chile to become Americas 2(loser of that enters the  Final Qualification Tournament as Americas 3)

22 hours ago, ajwffc said:

Chile have knocked Canada out if the RWC qualifiers 54-46 on aggregate 

I watched a wee bit of this on freesports this morning. Chile's stand off is an absolutely electric runner. Canada were pretty bad though.

Glasgow have signed a giant Tongan winger. With McKay and Cancilliere still to arrive the plan must be to develop him.

I also saw Danny Wilson calling for McLean and Darge to be in the Scotland squad. I expect they will be but there are plenty ahead of them in the queue for caps and i'd like to see them against Leinster, Exeter and La Rochelle before they play for Scotland. Caps should be hard to earn now we are improving and we have DVDM, Graham, Maitland and Steyn on the wing and Watson and Ritchie for 7 with Bayliss in the wings. 

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Glasgow have signed a giant Tongan winger. With McKay and Cancilliere still to arrive the plan must be to develop him.

I also saw Danny Wilson calling for McLean and Darge to be in the Scotland squad. I expect they will be but there are plenty ahead of them in the queue for caps and i'd like to see them against Leinster, Exeter and La Rochelle before they play for Scotland. Caps should be hard to earn now we are improving and we have DVDM, Graham, Maitland and Steyn on the wing and Watson and Ritchie for 7 with Bayliss in the wings. 

DVDM and Maitland won't be available for the Tonga game though, will they? Also as good as he is, Maitland is 33 now, so there is a bit to be said for trying out some of the younger guys, and McLean has been playing well for me.

Agree about the back row though. Ryan Wilson seems to get better everytime I watch him just now as well.

7 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I had forgot the Tonga game is a Glasgow/Edinburgh select. I'm still not sure I'd pick McLean. 

I agree on Ryan Wilson. If he had been picked ahead of Gary Graham the 6 Nations could have been very different. 

Is Cole Forbes "Scottish"? I can see 3 from Forbes, McLean, Kinghorn, Steyn with the odd one out on the bench for that game no problem. Fancy Thompson to make his debut as well. 

5 minutes ago, GAD said:

Is Cole Forbes "Scottish"? I can see 3 from Forbes, McLean, Kinghorn, Steyn with the odd one out on the bench for that game no problem. Fancy Thompson to make his debut as well. 

he is Scottish through his grandparents 

21 minutes ago, GAD said:

Aye Forbes is qualified. He looks a quality find.

Wee Darcy is on great form so I expect he will start against Tonga. 

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

Aye Forbes is qualified. He looks a quality find.

Wee Darcy is on great form so I expect he will start against Tonga. 

Yeah, Graham is playing really well. I've got a feeling he might be held back for the two big games, but could be wrong.

After Graham, McLean is the inform winger with the Scottish clubs, I cant remember the last time we had a winger with his sort of pace. He has a great chance of starting vs Tonga if we are without our English based players opposite Graham. I would have Forbes at full back for that game. 

Forbes gets better with every game also, and I would have him on the test bench to cover  the back 3 for the bigger games. Darge was man of the match vs Ulster and his performances have been excellent in every game so far this season. Obviously Ritchie and Watson are the men in possession of the jersey's but I hope he is in the squad to get some experience as he has a bright future. Im assuming Thompson will start the Tonga game at 10, and im also hoping we cap Dobie this autumn as well. He has stiff competion from Price, Horne and Velacott, but I think he has the best all round game.

11 hours ago, honestly united said:

and im also hoping we cap Dobie this autumn as well. He has stiff competion from Price, Horne and Velacott, but I think he has the best all round game.

He struggled against the Lions on Saturday. He's nowhere near ready. 

It's Price then Steele and Vellacot will probably get an opportunity. 

45 minutes ago, Detournement said:

He struggled against the Lions on Saturday. He's nowhere near ready. 

It's Price then Steele and Vellacot will probably get an opportunity. 

We'll need to agree to disagree, i thought he was one of Glasgows better players on Saturday. Yes he made a couple of error's but he is still young, and learning at this level. However both him and Thompson have that certain something that all the best players have where they almost look like they are playing at a different speed to everyone else as they always look like they have loads of time on the ball. I think Dobie is a more of an .all round SH than any of the others

17 minutes ago, honestly united said:

We'll need to agree to disagree, i thought he was one of Glasgows better players on Saturday. Yes he made a couple of error's but he is still young, and learning at this level. However both him and Thompson have that certain something that all the best players have where they almost look like they are playing at a different speed to everyone else as they always look like they have loads of time on the ball. I think Dobie is a more of an .all round SH than any of the others

He is technically excellent but I thought he was poor near the opposition line and didn't offer much control when the Lions started to put on a bit of pressure. He only played 48 minutes so Wilson must have thought the same  That will come for him but he's a long way from Test level.

Autumn and 6 Nations now is all about winning. We have strong competition in most positions and don't need to hand out caps just on promise. 

13 minutes ago, Detournement said:

He is technically excellent but I thought he was poor near the opposition line and didn't offer much control when the Lions started to put on a bit of pressure. He only played 48 minutes so Wilson must have thought the same  That will come for him but he's a long way from Test level.

Autumn and 6 Nations now is all about winning. We have strong competition in most positions and don't need to hand out caps just on promise. 

I thought he struggled a bit against Ulster as well, even discounting the changed down kick which cost a try. I think he'll be a good player, but there isn't a need to rush him in with Price and Steele being solid enough and Horne and Velacott able to speed things up.

I'm not sure I agree Autumn is all about winning. It's more important than Summer obviously, but it's still a good chance to build a bit if squad depth.

1 hour ago, GAD said:

I thought he struggled a bit against Ulster as well, even discounting the changed down kick which cost a try. I think he'll be a good player, but there isn't a need to rush him in with Price and Steele being solid enough and Horne and Velacott able to speed things up.

I'm not sure I agree Autumn is all about winning. It's more important than Summer obviously, but it's still a good chance to build a bit if squad depth.

Aye but building squad depth at 9 is more caps for Steele and Horne who are still inexperienced at Test level and a debut for Vellacot. 

Darcy has 18 caps and Duhan has 10. Ideally they go into RWC23 with another 25+ caps each. If McLean is a Test level player already he will show it for Glasgow in the big games this season. Just now he is a prospect.

Edited by Detournement

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Aye but building squad depth at 9 is more caps for Steele and Horne who are still inexperienced at Test level and a debut for Vellacot. 

Darcy has 18 caps and Duhan has 10. Ideally they go into RWC23 with another 25+ caps each. If McLean is a Test level player already he will show it for Glasgow in the big games this season. Just now he is a prospect.

Steele is 28, Horne and Velacott 26, they are not youngsters who are going to improve hugely from the experience. The best players we have (Russell, Hogg, Gray etc) all made their debuts about 20-22 and were establish first choices by about 23. By 26-28 if your not starting for Scotland your only going to be a bit part player (project players excluded). Im not saying they are bad players, there good club players and good players to have as part of the squad, they are not though and are not going to be world class players and as we have a small group of players we need to identifying and managing properly any players that have that potential

edit to add....While I was waflling on someone else seems to agree

Scotland squad

Forwards:

• Matt Fagerson – Glasgow Warriors – 13 caps
  • Nick Haining – Edinburgh Rugby – 8 caps
  • Hamish Watson – Edinburgh Rugby – 41 caps
  • Rory Darge – Glasgow Warriors – uncapped
  • Dylan Richardson – Cell C Sharks – uncapped
  • Jamie Ritchie – Edinburgh Rugby – 27 caps
  • Luke Crosbie – Edinburgh Rugby – uncapped
  • Grant Gilchrist – Edinburgh Rugby – 45 caps
  • Jamie Hodgson – Edinburgh Rugby – uncapped