Rugby Union

kiwififer

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, GordonS said:

They do seem to be confidently reporting something if it's only a rumour.

Harris has been great but he's a different type of player from Daly and if that's how Gatland wants to play the game then fair enough. It does suggest it might be fairly expansive.

I've really liked Daly at 13 - and it's further evidence of how much better a manager Gatland is than Eddie Jones (see also Simmonds).

Really chuffed to see Ali Price starting. Murray was obviously first choice scrum half when the squad was picked, and when he was named captain, so Price has done really well to grab his opportunity. 

Surprising not to see Williams in the 23, but that's Lions rugby for you.

I wish I could make a case for Mish in that back row, but they're all top players. His lack of flexibility was maybe his downfall here, but he'll be a bundle of demented energy off the bench.

And is Jamie George injured? I would have thought he was in front of Ken Owens in the queue. 

It's actually one of the great Lions stories. 2 years ago he wasn't first choice for Scotland, and many of us would rather have had George Horne as back up to Laidlaw. 

He then gets picked for the Lions squad as 3rd scrum half, and raises his game to such a level that he starts the 1st test. He deserves every single ounce of praise that he'll be getting. It shows that sheer hard work and an ability to rise to the occassion gets you rewards.

I'm delighted for him, and even more delighted that Scotland will benefit from all of this come February. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

34 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

It's actually one of the great Lions stories. 2 years ago he wasn't first choice for Scotland, and many of us would rather have had George Horne as back up to Laidlaw. 

He then gets picked for the Lions squad as 3rd scrum half, and raises his game to such a level that he starts the 1st test. He deserves every single ounce of praise that he'll be getting. It shows that sheer hard work and an ability to rise to the occassion gets you rewards.

I'm delighted for him, and even more delighted that Scotland will benefit from all of this come February. 

I’m delighted because Murray has been a shadow for years. 

Also: Wales fans are, to coin a phrase, on the verge of tears with that XV. 

Edited by Savage Henry

Guest Bob Mahelp
21 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I’m delighted because Murray has been a shadow for years. 

Also: Wales fans are, to coin a phrase, on the verge of tears with that XV. 

You get a greeny for that alone. 

The Welsh greeting is a bit OTT to be honest. Williams hasn't been that good, and seems to have lost a bit of pace. He's not even as good under the high ball as they insist, and to be honest it's not nearly as important as made out. Faletau has been crap, Davies has been worse. Beard has done well, but you are fucking mental if you think he's ever getting picked ahead of Itoje or Henderson. Adams, fair enough, he's possibly a bit unlucky.

On the other hand, you could argue AWJ is a big gamble to start right now, Wyn Jones has offered absolutely nothing in the loose, Biggar is effectively the default right now as Farrell has been awful, Russell is injured and Smith is too raw, and Owens is lucky to be ahead of George.

Turns out the team was correct, except Henderson has been replaced on the bench by Liam Williams.

It's a decent team, I can't think of many changes I'd have made beyond maybe George on the bench ahead of Owens, and maybe the replacement backs aren't exactly the most dynamic of game changers. We obviously hope to be winning by the time they come on.

Delighted for Hogg, VDM and Price. Watson and Sutherland a bit unlucky, but both calls would have been close to 50:50. They'll both have a part to play. Harris obviously unlucky as well, but Daly is going to have a key role.

Really pleased that Gatland and his staff have been brave with the selection. Can't wait for the game now.

30 minutes ago, printer said:

Delighted for Hogg, VDM and Price. Watson and Sutherland a bit unlucky, but both calls would have been close to 50:50. They'll both have a part to play. Harris obviously unlucky as well, but Daly is going to have a key role.

Really pleased that Gatland and his staff have been brave with the selection. Can't wait for the game now.

When you look at the forwards South Africa have on the bench the Lions forward subs are going to be absolutely crucial. 

7 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
5 hours ago, Detournement said:
When you look at the forwards South Africa have on the bench the Lions forward subs are going to be absolutely crucial. 

Watson is very unlucky to have missed out - as an impact sub though he could be immense.

I do feel bad for him.

I saw a stats breakdown along the lines of never turns it over, never gives away penalties, never misses tackles plus his strong carrying and turnovers. He couldn't have done any more and comprehensively outplayed Curry in the Calcutta Cup.

I do feel bad for him.
I saw a stats breakdown along the lines of never turns it over, never gives away penalties, never misses tackles plus his strong carrying and turnovers. He couldn't have done any more and comprehensively outplayed Curry in the Calcutta Cup.
Yeh, but he'll get on... brilliant player

13 hours ago, Detournement said:

I do feel bad for him.

Yeah, though to be honest, I feel like these days if you are a forward on the bench you are just as important as the starters. Hard to really see any of them playing much less than 30 minutes. 

18 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
On 21/07/2021 at 14:52, Detournement said:

Watson is very unlucky to have missed out - as an impact sub though he could be immense.

This is where I’m at. I think Watson is unlucky not to start, but I think that it’ll be incredibly physical for the first 50 minutes at the very least. Curry or Watson from the start? Don’t think there’s all that much difference with how physical it’ll be, both are among the top 7s in world rugby, however I think Watson off the bench will make far more of an impact than Curry.

17 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
23 hours ago, Detournement said:

Hopefully he does what he did when he came off the bench against Wales two years ago.