Rugby Union

kiwififer

Decent performance from the Scots today, Price and Russell early doors were great on the front foot.  I think Biggar will start at 10 but Russell’s kicking game has been excellent mostly this season and will be massive against the Bok’s blite defence.

Watson deserved MOTM but Harris put in an excellent performance under the radar, did everything well.  

Edited by super_carson

Decent performance from the Scots today, Price and Russell early doors were great on the front foot.  I think Biggar will start at 10 but Russell’s kicking game has been excellent mostly this season and will be massive against the Bok’s blite defence.
Watson deserved MOTM but Harris put in an excellent performance under the radar, did everything well.  
Not sure Harris was under the radar tbh, pundits were raving about him. Hogg, price,Harris and hamish were excellent, finn played well but a couple of brain farts which will cost him

There was actually only one player who didn't really play very well at all, made quite a few mistakes and should have really hurt his chances and that's Owen Farrell. He was the real odd one out in the starting backs and struggled to get on the same wavelength as everyone around him. Had some shocking missed tackles as well. If he'd been Scottish you wouldn't be seeing him again on this tour.

8 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
13 hours ago, super_carson said:

Not sure Harris was under the radar tbh, pundits were raving about him. Hogg, price,Harris and hamish were excellent, finn played well but a couple of brain farts which will cost him

I have a feeling Chris Harris will end up starting a test.   Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s only Watson who gets the start for the first test, with Russell on the bench. 

Thought Price was excellent, the one thing that Gatland will have noticed is his box kicks were all on the money. Watson was excellent as always, and deserved MOTM. I thought Farrell as has been said was way of the pace, and doesnt suit the fast game, which is strange as the English forwards seem to have taken to it for the most part, dropped to passes, and was at fault for the first try as seemed to have no idea what he was doing at the ruck and just left the blind side open. Harris looked really good, was refreshing when the pundits were talking about starting Finn as the centre partnerships seemed to be Aki, Harris or Henshaw and would Russel be OK kicking.

The thing I like about Finn Russell is the you never know what he is going to do next, plays with a smile on his face.

There is always the unpredictability of his play.

If the Lions want continuity then Finn won't start..

I hope it doesn't turn into who can batter the defence down better..

Watson once again, immense.

9 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I think that Hogg, Sutherland, Harris and H.Watson start tests as we stand. Wyn Jones is completely overated and Sutherland is better player.

I agree, might depend on how well Sutherland and Harris go in their next games respectively, but Sutherland was better than both Wyn Jones and Vunipola so far. Harris might depend on if Henshaw can move to 12, but can see it happening. Only downside for me is that I reckon if Harris plays, Russell does not. Russell only gets in for me if the 10/12 for him and Farrell works, and Farrell was so far off the pace yesterday that it's hard to see it. It's a shame because a 9-13 of Murray, Biggar, Henshaw/Aki and Harris/Henshaw looks so one paced and lumpen, but can see it a mile off.

13 hours ago, GAD said:

I agree, might depend on how well Sutherland and Harris go in their next games respectively, but Sutherland was better than both Wyn Jones and Vunipola so far. Harris might depend on if Henshaw can move to 12, but can see it happening. Only downside for me is that I reckon if Harris plays, Russell does not. Russell only gets in for me if the 10/12 for him and Farrell works, and Farrell was so far off the pace yesterday that it's hard to see it. It's a shame because a 9-13 of Murray, Biggar, Henshaw/Aki and Harris/Henshaw looks so one paced and lumpen, but can see it a mile off.

I agree with most of this. Russell as always had some nice touches but as much as I'd like it to him and Farrell didn't work. I'd agree that midfield is the one Gatland has in mind, with an electric back three and very skillful/impactful forwards making up some of the deficit. Tbf though Henshaw while not Slade or Huw Jones is a very good all round attacker and Harris was putting in chips yesterday so God knows. 

But I think combining a conservative 9 and 13 with Russell and Farrell between them is definitely a good option if they click, or even Russell with those players around him

Have to accept that Biggar has come on, or been liberated at Saints and under Pivac, to play more attacking rugby quite a lot recently as well. 

One player not getting mentioned here is Daly. Gatland really likes him in midfield and I thought Daly looked excellent on Saturday. My main concern about him has always been defence, he's one of those guys that seems to run faster up the field than down it, but there's no questioning his attacking talent. He also gives more options with the boot, which could be pivotal if neither Biggar nor Farrell are on the pitch.

One player not getting mentioned here is Daly. Gatland really likes him in midfield and I thought Daly looked excellent on Saturday. My main concern about him has always been defence, he's one of those guys that seems to run faster up the field than down it, but there's no questioning his attacking talent. He also gives more options with the boot, which could be pivotal if neither Biggar nor Farrell are on the pitch.
I agree re. Daly but we need to have a couple of more looks at him. He did very well when he came on but it was against a very poor tired team

23 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
7 hours ago, GordonS said:

I agree re. Daly but we need to have a couple of more looks at him. He did very well when he came on but it was against a very poor tired team

True, though I doubt we'll see anything of the tactics Gatland intends to use in the tests in any of the warm-up games.

21 hours ago, GordonS said:

How he ended up getting bumped about full back and wing (which I think might have started on the last Lions tour actually) for England and Saracens I'm not sure, looks a lot better at 13.

Huw Jones officially signed for Quins now. This either goes very well and he thrives with the style of rugby they're playing or he ends up picking up 20 minutes off the bench to replace Marchant or one of the wingers for however long his contract is

3 hours ago, jaggyness said:
6 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
Bulls game in doubt ffs.
Bloody covid

Rumours that the lions might play Georgia instead as their game might be off also.

Georgia have positive tests as well I’ve been told.  Haven’t looked for anything official about it though.