Rugby Union

kiwififer

Bad news for the journalists going out to cover the Lions Tour.

For 4 of the 6 weeks that they will be in SA the Lions will be based in Gauteng province, which is now accounting for 60% of the new Covid cases in the country.

On 26/06/2021 at 15:33, Mark Connolly said:

With Harrison recovering from illness, I wonder who will be on Sky's coverage. Hope it's not this guy C4 have, he's absolutely brutal.

Heaslip is a fucking pain in the arse as well - he's absolutely desperate to criticise Duhan, despite him literally doing nothing wrong so far.

Your pal from the weekend Conor McNamara has just confirmed that he’s Sky’s lead commentator for the Tour.

No doubt with a little Heaslip on the side as well for good measure.

1 hour ago, Ignoramus said:

Your pal from the weekend Conor McNamara has just confirmed that he’s Sky’s lead commentator for the Tour.

No doubt with a little Heaslip on the side as well for good measure.

7kkq8Zw.jpg

ETA: Maggi Alphonsi is on their panel too. Fucking hell

Edited by Mark Connolly

I know it's only under 20s, but this can't be good.FB_IMG_1625153202491.thumb.jpg.f2f58640659cc7bb2d86a212349d559a.jpg
It is allso two teams at different points in the age range cycle (Most of the Scottish side is about 18 years old and the Italian side are at the end of the cycle).

On 28/06/2021 at 11:13, peasy23 said:

Bad news for the journalists going out to cover the Lions Tour.

For 4 of the 6 weeks that they will be in SA the Lions will be based in Gauteng province, which is now accounting for 60% of the new Covid cases in the country.

I've got a feeling they might be ok in a 5 star hotel. 

I was in the Phillipines a few years ago on election day when the country is meant to totally dry but being western seemed be enough to circumvent that.  

38 minutes ago, ajwffc said:
1 hour ago, peasy23 said:
I know it's only under 20s, but this can't be good.FB_IMG_1625153202491.thumb.jpg.f2f58640659cc7bb2d86a212349d559a.jpg

It is allso two teams at different points in the age range cycle (Most of the Scottish side is about 18 years old and the Italian side are at the end of the cycle).

TBF we should have enough players coming through every year not to be losing this heavily to Italy. Its not like we just didn't have kids born for a year in Scotland. There might be some missing due to being in the A side (havent checked on Smith, Thompson etc), although the Italian player development seems to be miles ahead of ours at the moment - although the got trounced in the 6 nations the majority of that squad were early 20's

3 hours ago, Blink182 said:

Sorry to Hijack the thread but when is the standard season for Pro14? And when are fixtures likely to be announced? Can't seem to find much online regarding 21/22 season.

Pro 14 no more. URC now.

I think it runs September to June.

I don't like to make excuses but the u20s are missing due to injury Dobie, Gamble, Paterson, Brown and Currie who all have pro experience. Jamie Campbell and Nathan Sweeney are also injured and would've been heavily involved, plus Harri Morris, who made his Edinburgh debut a month or so back, is suspended after getting sent off in the first game.

We are normally lucky to have 2 or 3 players at u20s with pro experience so to have 5 missing was always going to make things tough.

It sounded like they actually played well against Ireland until the red card. I watched the England game and they did all right. Today however was absolutely woeful and I couldn't see any positives to take from it.

Other than a couple of areas of weakness such as loosehead, I actually think this might've been one of the stronger u20s teams we've had but when 6 or 7 of your best 10 players are missing it makes things difficult. Even some of the better players who are fit like Muncaster and Samuel appeared to get sucked into the malaise today, they were both poor.

I don't want to use the lack of game time as too much of an excuse but the SRU really seem to have shot themselves in the foot by having almost no rugby below pro level since last March. I don't know much about other countries but in England they played pretty regular academy games last season. Whereas most of our u20s based up here didn't play a single game for 15 months. As mentioned above, it's hard not to see this having an impact on Scottish rugby in the short, medium and long term.

Edited by afca32

with a bit of time to kill and after reading the normal pish about the All Blacks stealing players from the Pacific Islands. Hear is the two 23 for  All Blacks v Tonga game by country of Birth 

All Blacks  

New Zealand -  20 

Japan - 1(Akira Ioane(moved to New Zealand at the age of 2 and mother is a former Black Fern)

Australia - 1 (Tyrel Lomax(dad was a Kiwi Rugby League player))

Scotland - 1 (Finlay Christie moved to New Zealand at the age of 7 )

Tonga

Tonga - 10

New Zealand - 13

So it is shocking that New Zealand have 3 players from out side New Zealand