Rugby Union

kiwififer

in the rainbow cup they will be using some of the trial laws. 

Captains will be allowed one challenge per game to review try-scoring and foul play up to the 75th minute.
In the last five minutes a captain can challenge any decision, provided he has not made a previous challenge.

When attackers are held up over the try-line, the defending team will drop out from their goal-line.

The rule will also apply to in-goal knock-ons and when defenders ground the ball from attacking kicks.

When a player is sent off, his team will be down to 14 men for 20 minutes before he can be replaced by another player.

I am happy with the captains challenge and the drop out as it rewards good defending. But i don't agree with the sub for a red card as a big point in the red card is as a deterrent for foul play as you team is at a disadvantage(a sub for 2 yellows if none were foul play is different).

in the rainbow cup they will be using some of the trial laws. 
Captains will be allowed one challenge per game to review try-scoring and foul play up to the 75th minute.
In the last five minutes a captain can challenge any decision, provided he has not made a previous challenge.

When attackers are held up over the try-line, the defending team will drop out from their goal-line.

The rule will also apply to in-goal knock-ons and when defenders ground the ball from attacking kicks.

When a player is sent off, his team will be down to 14 men for 20 minutes before he can be replaced by another player.
I am happy with the captains challenge and the drop out as it rewards good defending. But i don't agree with the sub for a red card as a big point in the red card is as a deterrent for foul play as you team is at a disadvantage(a sub for 2 yellows if none were foul play is different).

being a man down for 20 minutes is still a heavy sanction.

There’s currently a huge disparity between the punishment for a red card offence early in the game and one late on. Which isn’t great either

I like the in goal drop out for being held up, as it does award good defence, although half the time there's already a penalty advantage in those situations so it won't always affect things.

I'm less convinced about it for grounding an attacking kick in goal, seems an unnecessary change. I can't see it making much difference compared to a 22 drop out anyway, as teams will just try to kick it even longer and the net result won't change a great deal.

I don't agree with the red card replacement but understand trying it out, with the increased number of red cards for head contact.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

3 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

I like the in goal drop out for being held up, as it does award good defence, although half the time there's already a penalty advantage in those situations so it won't always affect things.

I'm less convinced about it for grounding an attacking kick in goal, seems an unnecessary change. I can't see it making much difference compared to a 22 drop out anyway, as teams will just try to kick it even longer and the net result won't change a great deal.

Aye I think it's just balancing the two out. You now get a reward for good defensive play holding someone up, and more of an attacking opportunity for good attacking play that forces someone to touch down behind their goal. That's before it gets massively gamed of course!

Just bought my girlfriend and I the 2021/22 Scotland Season Pass.

Went for the direct debit so seats are guaranteed indefinitely until I cancel.  Might not be quite the same this year, but thinking Scotland Rugby tickets are going to be really hard to get a hold of going forward (already have been past 2-3 years for the big games) given we are getting better and better. 

Can't wait. 

Went for the direct debit so seats are guaranteed indefinitely until I cancel.  Might not be quite the same this year, but thinking Scotland Rugby tickets are going to be really hard to get a hold of going forward (already have been past 2-3 years for the big games) given we are getting better and better. 
Can't wait. 

How much did it cost?

1 hour ago, AberdeenHibee said:

Can't wait. 

Where did you get your seats? 

It's a good day out, the wife and I have been going for the last 5 years or so but we've decided to NOT renew this year the three autumn games been back to back for three weekends straight out us off. We live in the Inverness and basically can't be arsed going to Edinburgh three weekends on the trot, plus it's only England and France at home next year, the Ireland and Wales games are so much better.

Edited by frankthetank22

5 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

being a man down for 20 minutes is still a heavy sanction.

There’s currently a huge disparity between the punishment for a red card offence early in the game and one late on. Which isn’t great either

It's a tacit admission that the current contact rules are an absolute shambles, and that there's likely to be a preponderance of them.

3 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
3 hours ago, AberdeenHibee said:
Can't wait. 

How much did it cost?

The Bronze passes are £213, Silver £295, Gold £393 and Platinum £447. 

I bought Silver Passes as I usually always go for seats behind the posts when I go to internationals - feel like it gives you the best view of the game and you can see the space and attacks a lot better.  Plus it means if there is a price hike next year due to more fixtures it is not going to break the bank, whereas a price hike from £393 on a direct debit would be a sore one. 

FYI for anyone interested, the current sale window is for Scotland Membership Members, which ends tomorrow at midnight.  I believe the intention is for the rest of available season passes to go on sale the day after to the general public.  The majority of seats currently left are concentrated either to the back of the upper tier or to the lower part of the bottom tier behind the goals or in the corners i.e. you will likely need to go for a Bronze Seat if you want to sit together IMO.  

The Bronze passes are £213, Silver £295, Gold £393 and Platinum £447. 
I bought Silver Passes as I usually always go for seats behind the posts when I go to internationals - feel like it gives you the best view of the game and you can see the space and attacks a lot better.  Plus it means if there is a price hike next year due to more fixtures it is not going to break the bank, whereas a price hike from £393 on a direct debit would be a sore one. 
FYI for anyone interested, the current sale window is for Scotland Membership Members, which ends tomorrow at midnight.  I believe the intention is for the rest of available season passes to go on sale the day after to the general public.  The majority of seats currently left are concentrated either to the back of the upper tier or to the lower part of the bottom tier behind the goals or in the corners i.e. you will likely need to go for a Bronze Seat if you want to sit together IMO.  
[emoji106]

On 17/04/2021 at 18:19, ajwffc said:

The opposition kicking from their own goal line towards you is a great attacking opportunity. You could see it leading to more aerial bombs and challenges in the in-goal, though those would be tricky kicks to judge.

I hate this. It hugely diminishes the incentive on coaches to get their players not to commit red card offences. Individual players will always be massively less  likely to cross the line and take a risk if it means their coach would be unhappy with them. The punishment a team suffers from serious foul play has to be more than that for two deliberate knock-ons.

20 hours ago, AberdeenHibee said:

Can't wait. 

I've had mine since 2016 and it really is decent value (mine is a bronze seat but I'm high up in one of the corners so it's a very good view). When I renewed yesterday there looked to be a lot more seats available than usual which was strange. 

51 minutes ago, honestly united said:

How does it work if you cant make all games? Are they ok with you letting someone else use your ticket? Im just thinking at £80 a ticket for the cheapest ticket you only need to go to 3 games (or get the cash from someone else going!) to make it worthwhile

They're introducing a resale programme this year where you can let them sell your ticket for that game at face value if you can't make it.

14 hours ago, GordonS said:

The opposition kicking from their own goal line towards you is a great attacking opportunity. You could see it leading to more aerial bombs and challenges in the in-goal, though those would be tricky kicks to judge.

I hate this. It hugely diminishes the incentive on coaches to get their players not to commit red card offences. Individual players will always be massively less  likely to cross the line and take a risk if it means their coach would be unhappy with them. The punishment a team suffers from serious foul play has to be more than that for two deliberate knock-ons.

I more dubious about the first one, and in agreement with the second one.

I think the first law, will lead to a bit more crap kicking, in the knowledge that you'll get the ball back, not too far behind where you kicked it.  (I hope I'm wrong).

As for the second one, it is tricky, but for me, I think your argument should be more that the 'deliberate knock on' has been used far too often (I agree).  The one against Duncan Taylor v Ireland was fvkking terrible.  He'd read the play, closed the space, the pass wasn't on, but Aki still threw it and basically hit Taylor from a foot out. 

In my opinion the better rugby was played by the man that was sent to the sin-bin, that can't be right.

I'm also of the opinion that many red cards are for technical breaches and not for intentional foul play.  I put both Zander Fagerson and Finn Russell's reds into this category (Finn's more than Zanders admittedly).  So bearing in mind, that teams can expect to lose circa 7 points for each sin-binning, then 20 mins feels about the right punishment (although I wouldn't argue against 25 mins or half an hour).  What it would hopefully do, is stop the entire match becoming a dead rubber for what is often a small (but potentially serious) error of judgement (a la Finn). 

Ultimately, I feel that (as a spectacle) too many games are being ruined by yellow's and reds, for what I would deem 'rugby incidents'. 

I don't think the answer is easy and I admit that there's a fine line between preserving the innate aggression which is part of rugby and player welfare.

Yours

aDONis

Just now, aDONisSheep said:

I'm also of the opinion that many red cards are for technical breaches and not for intentional foul play.  I put both Zander Fagerson and Finn Russell's reds into this category (Finn's more than Zanders admittedly).  So bearing in mind, that teams can expect to lose circa 7 points for each sin-binning, then 20 mins feels about the right punishment (although I wouldn't argue against 25 mins or half an hour).  What it would hopefully do, is stop the entire match becoming a dead rubber for what is often a small (but potentially serious) error of judgement (a la Finn). 

Ultimately, I feel that (as a spectacle) too many games are being ruined by yellow's and reds, for what I would deem 'rugby incidents'. 

I don't think the answer is easy and I admit that there's a fine line between preserving the innate aggression which is part of rugby and player welfare.

Yours

aDONis

I agree they're often not intentional, but tackling like that needs to be driven from the game so that the players can remember their kids' names in 20 years' time. The way Zander hit that ruck is the kind of thing that can't happen any more. If the punishment for that is only a double sin-bin and a substitution then I don't think it will be enough. I think we need to change what we regard as rugby incidents, because early onset dementia isn't worth it.

I also think that while some reds lead to what could be seen as a harsh punishment (like Finn's, where he was aiming for the chest and slid up), a double sin-bin plus a substitution is nowhere near enough for a head-but or a deliberate stamp on the head. If they want to bring in an amber card or whatever then that would be one thing, but I don't want to see serious reds get watered down. 

I don't think reds make matches dead rubbers either. Scotland beat France without Finn and Scotland v Wales was decided by a point.

Anyway, we'll see how the trial goes.

The line dropout works well in rugby league because of how the rules surrounding it are set up. I think it could work in rugby when the ball is held up over the line but otherwise it doesn't seem to fit. The captain's challenge has added very little to the NRL IMO and I don't think rugby needs more excuses to slow play down and use the TMO more.