Rugby Union

kiwififer

40 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Can someone explain what Glasgow need for them to get last champions Cup place. Is it a playoff with the blues?

I think for a start we need Edinburgh to not lose by 40 odd points, which looks odds on at the moment...

EPCR are still to announce what will be happening next season because it could come down to who wins the two comps this year.

There might a play-off between the two 4th placed teams. Glasgow now almost certainly 4th, as Dragons need to win the last 7 minutes 38-0

Whatever other pundits think of Watson, the "expert panel" that come up with the names for the player of the tourney poll have picked him as one of the 6 best in the competition.

Yesterday alone he carried for 79 metres or so, not bad for somebody who allegedly doesn't make any ground.

7 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

EPCR are still to announce what will be happening next season because it could come down to who wins the two comps this year.

There might a play-off between the two 4th placed teams. Glasgow now almost certainly 4th, as Dragons need to win the last 7 minutes 38-0

If there's a play off I'd think the team with the most points will get home advantage. 

I'm sure winning the Challenge Cup this season will give us a ticket to next season's Champions Cup too. 

Is it churlish and miserable to point out that this "Scotland handle the big moments " piece is all a bit over the top given we lost two close games and only beat France because they needed a bonus point?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56548653 

Reading the article I think that it most likely means “the big moments against France”

So yes it is a little bit churlish and miserable

But I’ll let you off

Whatever other pundits think of Watson, the "expert panel" that come up with the names for the player of the tourney poll have picked him as one of the 6 best in the competition.

Yesterday alone he carried for 79 metres or so, not bad for somebody who allegedly doesn't make any ground.

Watson is immense.
When the newspaper pundits etc pick their team they don't even think about Scotland. They pick directly from England, Wales and Ireland. Then throw Hogg in.

Love the top try scorer list and the salt from the other fans about van der merwe being top try scorer while not being international standard. He is just the new Julian Savea (not sure how that is a insult) according to some. FB_IMG_1617037104648.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Dave Cherry must be romping the minutes to try table.

he must bee in 49min v france he got 2 tries, hit 32 attacking rucks (more than any other player this round), carried seven times and made five tackles.

A question that popped up when me and my Dad were watching the Rugby on Friday... say Scotland are on the edge of their own 22 and France have commited a foul, the referee shouts advantage, and Scotland play on for a few more seconds before sending it back to Finn Russell who boots it just inside the French half, and the referee immediately calls ‘advantage over’. 

Is there a reason why Scotland don’t just take the penalty in that situation, giving them a chance to kick for touch and have a line out further up the pitch? Neither me or my dad are too clued up on the rules although I’ve picked up most of them over the years, but it seems in that situation booting the ball right into French hands just inside their own half isn’t much of an advantage. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

1 minute ago, IrishBhoy said:

A question that popped up when me and my Dad were watching the Rugby on Friday... say Scotland are on the edge of their own 22 and France have commited a foul, the referee shouts advantage, and Scotland play on for a few more seconds before sending it back to Finn Russell who boots it just inside the French half, and the referee immediately calls ‘advantage over’. 

Is there a reason why Scotland don’t just take the penalty in that situation, giving them a chance to kick for touch and have a line out further up the pitch? Neither me or my dad are too clued up on the rules although I’ve picked up most of them over the years, but it seems in that situation booting the ball right into French hands just inside their own half isn’t much of an advantage. 

It'll depend on how France have infringed - if it's a scrum advantage from a knock-on then a kick upfield generally means advantage over, but if it's a penalty advantage then unless the kick goes to someone and Scotland make up lots of territory then the referee will come back for the penalty.

https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/law/7

7 Advantage

Principle

If a team gains an advantage following an infringement by their opponents, the referee may allow play to continue in an effort to keep the game flowing.

1. Advantage:
    1. May be tactical. The non-offending team is free to play the ball as they wish.
    2. May be territorial. Play has moved towards the offending team’s dead-ball line.
    3. May be a combination of tactical and territorial.
    4. Must be clear and real. A mere opportunity to gain an advantage is not sufficient.
  2. Advantage ends when:
    1. The referee deems that the non-offending team has gained an advantage. The referee allows play to continue; or
    2. The referee deems that the non-offending team is unlikely to gain an advantage. The referee stops the game and applies the sanction for the infringement from which advantage was being played; or
    3. The non-offending team commits an infringement before they have gained an advantage. The referee stops the game and applies the sanction for the first infringement. If either or both infringements are for foul play, the referee applies the appropriate sanction(s) for the offence(s); or
    4. The offending team commits a second or subsequent infringement from which no advantage can be gained. The referee stops play and allows the captain of the non-offending team to choose the most advantageous sanction.
  3. Advantage must not be applied and the referee must blow the whistle immediately when:
    1. The ball or a player in possession of the ball, touches the referee and an advantage is gained by either side.
    2. The ball comes out of either end of the tunnel at a scrum.
    3. A scrum is wheeled through more than 90 degrees.
    4. A player in a scrum is lifted or forced upwards so that the player is no longer in contact with the ground.
    5. A quick throw, free-kick or penalty is taken incorrectly.
    6. The ball is made dead.
    7. It would be dangerous to let play continue.
    8. It is suspected that a player is seriously injured.

2 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

It'll depend on how France have infringed - if it's a scrum advantage from a knock-on then a kick upfield generally means advantage over, but if it's a penalty advantage then unless the kick goes to someone and Scotland make up lots of territory then the referee will come back for the penalty.

https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/law/7

I see. Cheers for the info. I’ve been getting more knowledgeable about the rules over the past few years, but there’s still the odd time the referee blows for a penalty and I’m none the wiser. 

Is there anything to stop Scotland in that situation asking the ref to take the penalty rather than have the advantage? I know the advantage in rugby tends to last a lot longer than football, and favours the team with the advantage much more, but I’ve noticed that you always tend to see the team with the advantage trying to play their way out of trouble rather than asking for the penalty, even when they are playing in their own 22. 

23 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Is there anything to stop Scotland in that situation asking the ref to take the penalty rather than have the advantage? I know the advantage in rugby tends to last a lot longer than football, and favours the team with the advantage much more, but I’ve noticed that you always tend to see the team with the advantage trying to play their way out of trouble rather than asking for the penalty, even when they are playing in their own 22. 

No the team can ask the ref for the pen but most try an all or nothing kick knowing the play will be brought back. 

Just now, ajwffc said:

No the team can ask the ref for the pen but most try an all or nothing kick knowing the play will be brought back. 

In the scenario I mentioned earlier Russell’s kick was caught just over the half way line, and the referee called ‘advantage over’ while the ball was in the air. It started a French attack mid way in our own half, and it just seemed like it wasn’t much of an advantage for us since we were the team that had the penalty. 

1 minute ago, IrishBhoy said:

In the scenario I mentioned earlier Russell’s kick was caught just over the half way line, and the referee called ‘advantage over’ while the ball was in the air. It started a French attack mid way in our own half, and it just seemed like it wasn’t much of an advantage for us since we were the team that had the penalty. 

if it was a knock on or forward pass advantage kicking the ball ends the advantage 9 times out of 10 as does playing 2 or 3 phases 

Just now, ajwffc said:

if it was a knock on or forward pass advantage kicking the ball ends the advantage 9 times out of 10 as does playing 2 or 3 phases 

Sorry if I’m coming across as a complete Rugby noob here, but if kicking the ball ends the advantage why didn’t Scotland immediately ask for the penalty when the referee called ‘advantage’. Surely a kick to touch or put in at a scrum would leave us in a better position than just kicking away the advantage into French hands?