Rugby Union

kiwififer

7 hours ago, velo army said:

He is right, just the wrong time. Hastings scored a monster pelanty from about the half-way line in that game, but I'm fairly sure it was in the first half.

Cheers.  I had it in my head it was towards the end of the game but you're right.  It was in the first half.

Pretty depressing after last night to see how heavily much of the press and Twitter commentators are briefing against Scotland players going to the Lions. Main ones being Watson is too small, was "physically dominated" and won't be able to cope against a big South African pack, and Russell's "game management" wasn't good enough. We are definitely being primed for no Lions again.

42 minutes ago, come on shire said:

We're making Benneton look like Leinster. 

TJ Ioane gives away far too many penalties, though general discipline's been poor. 

Ratu Tagive on the wing just isn't on the same level as Rufus McLean. 

Some of the play in the second half has been hilariously bad. Trying to throw offloads 5 meters from our own line. That Benneton try was unbelievable.

1 hour ago, GAD said:

Pretty depressing after last night to see how heavily much of the press and Twitter commentators are briefing against Scotland players going to the Lions. Main ones being Watson is too small, was "physically dominated" and won't be able to cope against a big South African pack, and Russell's "game management" wasn't good enough. We are definitely being primed for no Lions again.

Someone posted that Watson “doesn’t make yards”.   I nearly threw my phone against the wall when I read that.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Someone posted that Watson “doesn’t make yards”.   I nearly threw my phone against the wall when I read that.

Yeah, been seeing the same stuff all day. No idea what match people were watching. 

The Welsh fans are getting a little bit big headed about AWJ. He now deserves a knighthood more than anyone else in the county, is the greatest player and captain to ever play rugby (a helicopter pilot in New Zealand will definitely disagree) and should be the 1st name on the Lions team sheet and captain for the tour. The only thing I have not seen them say he should win is Sports Personality of the year

42 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

The Welsh fans are getting a little bit big headed about AWJ. He now deserves a knighthood more than anyone else in the county, is the greatest player and captain to ever play rugby (a helicopter pilot in New Zealand will definitely disagree) and should be the 1st name on the Lions team sheet and captain for the tour. The only thing I have not seen them say he should win is Sports Personality of the year

He's not even the best ever captain in the second row.

There's a big guy from Brisbane that you'd take ahead of him every time.

ETA: In fact, would you have AWJ ahead of John Eales, Willie-John McBride and/or Martin Johnson in a greatest captains team in the second row? I wouldn't.

Edited by Mark Connolly

9 hours ago, GAD said:

7 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

This is the opinion of people who don't really watch rugby. Watson is small for a player in his position these days so he doesn't pass the eye test. But his ability to make yards is unbelievable. I don't think I've ever, ever seen a forward harder to tackle. He wriggles and twists and bounces and fends like no-one else. His acceleration over the first yard is winger-like.

Facts speak for themselves, his stats on number of carries, metres per carry and defenders beaten are wild. He rarely gets turned over and wins loads of turnovers. And while he doesn't have the physicality to dominate in the tackle, he almost never falls off his guy.

On top of that he clearly, clearly has the mentality for it.

I would be particularly keen to put Watson up against South Africa because they're not used to playing someone like him.

As for "no Lions again", Hogg would have played last time if he hadn't been injured. I think he'll be a vice captain this time. 

He's not even the best ever captain in the second row.
There's a big guy from Brisbane that you'd take ahead of him every time.
ETA: In fact, would you have AWJ ahead of John Eales, Willie-John McBride and/or Martin Johnson in a greatest captains team in the second row? I wouldn't.

Fabien Pelous and Viktor Matsfeld should be on that shortlist as well

Unlike other positions there’s two spots in second row for your greatest captains team

Although given that Sir Colin Meads existed there’s really only one jersey that’s up for grabs

Currently he’s an OBE
Which means he outranks Shane Williams MBE is level with Gavin Hastings OBE, outranked by Johnny Wilkinson CBE and Sir Gareth Edwards

That seems about right

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/all-notices/content/103387

If we don't get a least 7 on plane..then I'm buying a South African jersey