Rugby Union

kiwififer

3 minutes ago, GAD said:

Grigg and Wilson really good tonight for me, but it's Thompson, McLean and Dobie that are really exciting.

Think the win was fully deserved, I thought the scoreline actually flattered Ospreys.

Thought Wilson and Grigg were excellent, did exactly what you'd want them to do in a young team, lead by example. Harley was Harley, Lee Jones was class as he always is. I actually thought Nakarawa was decent, he's obviously not at the level he was in his first spell, but he had a couple of really good, dirty carries, and made a lot of tackles, and a nuisance of himself at the breakdown. He's getting better and fitter every week, so I still have hope he can see us to the Champions Cup with two big performances to go.

TJ Ioane is frustrating as f**k. He's hard as nails, and makes great yards ball in hand, but he's a walking penalty machine in defence. A bit like Ryan Wilson was a few years ago.

12 minutes ago, GAD said:

Fucking Nakarawa drops the ball again. He doesn't even make the bench at the moment when the internationals are back for me.

Thought he was far better tonight, another few games and he’ll be fit and firing.

Another good comeback win. Big performances from Seiuli, Wilson, Thompson and McLean.
It'll be strange if Glasgow get to the playoffs as we haven't seen a full strength team since last January. 
There's no playoffs this season, it's straight to the final. Whoever finishes third is in the Champions Cup next season, that's why tonight was so important.

Just now, Snobot said:

Thought he was far better tonight, another few games and he’ll be fit and firing.

Agree on this. I think he set such a high standard in his first spell that he is judged a bit harshly. I don't remember him having a bad game first time round.

2 minutes ago, scw1987 said:
6 minutes ago, Detournement said:
Another good comeback win. Big performances from Seiuli, Wilson, Thompson and McLean.
It'll be strange if Glasgow get to the playoffs as we haven't seen a full strength team since last January. 

There's no playoffs this season, it's straight to the final. Whoever finishes third is in the Champions Cup next season, that's why tonight was so important.

Shows how little attention I've been paying. It's still something to aim for anyway. 

7 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Agree on this. I think he set such a high standard in his first spell that he is judged a bit harshly. I don't remember him having a bad game first time round.

I do, a couple of wet nights in Rodney Parade or Galway where every forced  offload went to ground in one of those Townsend era games where you just knew it wasn’t happening that day.

You can forget that he wasn’t a nailed on starter at times when he was here first (Kellock / Gray etc) but he eventually was and did what he did in the final and the rest is history. I remember seeing him in Byres Road  years ago, he was a big guy.

Edited by Snobot

Scotland have put out the best team available. Skinner should get the nod ahead of Gilchrist on the bench though. Gilchrist is a penalty machine. We need leadership and direction and possibly even a Plan B to beat Ireland. We're better than at the 2019 World Cup but consistency is still a huge issue. 

Great result for Glasgow tonight. Two winnable games coming up. I just hope Leinster don't put their feet up next Friday night when Ospreys visit. 

I'm wondering if TJ Ioane will be getting his loan from London Irish extended. He works hard but gives away too many penalties. Naka was better I guess, he at least looked fitter. Thompson and McLean were unbelievable again. Sean Kennedy looked composed and Jamie Dobie looked solid too. Ollie Smith is still young but that's 2 yellow cards in a row. He doesn't seem to have the same flair as the other youngsters. Ratu Tagive never got on I noticed. 

6 hours ago, come on shire said:

Scotland have put out the best team available. Skinner should get the nod ahead of Gilchrist on the bench though. Gilchrist is a penalty machine. We need leadership and direction and possibly even a Plan B to beat Ireland. We're better than at the 2019 World Cup but consistency is still a huge issue. 

Great result for Glasgow tonight. Two winnable games coming up. I just hope Leinster don't put their feet up next Friday night when Ospreys visit. 

I'm wondering if TJ Ioane will be getting his loan from London Irish extended. He works hard but gives away too many penalties. Naka was better I guess, he at least looked fitter. Thompson and McLean were unbelievable again. Sean Kennedy looked composed and Jamie Dobie looked solid too. Ollie Smith is still young but that's 2 yellow cards in a row. He doesn't seem to have the same flair as the other youngsters. Ratu Tagive never got on I noticed. 

Interestingly Ollie Smith is seen by quite a few as the real one to watch. It's almost as if he's come in with the others doing so well and is trying a bit too hard to show up. He could do with a bit of luck, you get the feeling a couple of sharp breaks and his confidence would skyrocket.

10 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Thought Wilson and Grigg were excellent, did exactly what you'd want them to do in a young team, lead by example. Harley was Harley, Lee Jones was class as he always is. I actually thought Nakarawa was decent, he's obviously not at the level he was in his first spell, but he had a couple of really good, dirty carries, and made a lot of tackles, and a nuisance of himself at the breakdown. He's getting better and fitter every week, so I still have hope he can see us to the Champions Cup with two big performances to go.

TJ Ioane is frustrating as f**k. He's hard as nails, and makes great yards ball in hand, but he's a walking penalty machine in defence. A bit like Ryan Wilson was a few years ago.

I don't know about Naka, I still thought he looked unfit, soft in defence, and quite a few attacks broke down with him because he dropped the ball. He did manage a few of his trademark offloads in the second half to be fair. I expect hell spend all summer getting super fit and be an absolute monster for Ulster next season.

I think Smith will come good as well. I thought apart from his yellow (which I honestly thought was pretty harsh) he did ok. I'd rather have him there right now learning, than someone like Bryce, Jackson or even Jones out of position.

1 minute ago, GAD said:

I don't know about Naka, I still thought he looked unfit, soft in defence, and quite a few attacks broke down with him because he dropped the ball. He did manage a few of his trademark offloads in the second half to be fair. I expect hell spend all summer getting super fit and be an absolute monster for Ulster next season.

I think Smith will come good as well. I thought apart from his yellow (which I honestly thought was pretty harsh) he did ok. I'd rather have him there right now learning, than someone like Bryce, Jackson or even Jones out of position.

Aye, just before he got subbed off, Smith had a half break that was millimetres from him being away. Unfortunately he got caught, and knocked it on as he hit the ground. It's those little things that can make or break a young player.

JUst catching up on the Glasgow game now. 2 minutes in and already im raging at the ref. Ospreay player knocks on then falls on the ball. There is no tackle or ruck, so Harley is entitled to go for the ball as no offside line, yet the ref pings him for side entry. Not a good start for my blood pressure!! Raging as its lead to a try.

Edit to add - To go from bad to worse, thats never a try as its clear even if the player takes the ball he's being tackled. May as well just stop now as the ref is desperate for them to win - i thought it was a marginal call on deliberate, the fullback has his hands up as he is coming in to tackle, and the Ospreays winger throws the ball at him from about a metre away.

Edit to add number 2, just realised its Grove Wright the scottish ref!! If this was an Irish or Welsh ref they would be making sure the home team wins, Scottish refs go the other way!

Edited by honestly united

7 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Dragons and Benetton left. Two wins there and assuming Leinster beat Ospreys at home then we make Champions Cup?

They are 7 ahead so pretty much yes, although they could potentially lose and still get 2 points which would mean we would need BP victories I think.

Good win for Glasgow after a really poor start. Dobie's introduction made the difference.

Thompson was as cold as he was hot for the u20s then had a really good season for Ayr in Super 6 last year. I didn't think he'd take to pro rugby as comfortably as this but good on him, he was really decent again last night. McLean had played I think 2 games of adult rugby before his Glasgow debut and only 3 starts for the u20s after terrible injury luck so it's really impressive how he's adapted. He looked the most talented of the three but I wondered if injuries might hamper his progress. Smith really made the most of McLean's injuries, taking his spot at full back for the u20s after an excellent season at Ayr and this time last year looked like the most likely of the three to make it. He's had a tough start to his Glasgow career but not all young players are going to hit the ground running. He might benefit from a break next week but long term I still think he's got enough to contribute plenty.

With Dobie excelling already and Darge coming over from Edinburgh there is a lot to get excited about at Glasgow.

Guest Bob Mahelp

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/mar/12/six-nations-scotland-must-go-from-being-one-off-performers-to-contenders-rugby-union

A good article here that sums up where Scotland are. Will we kick on tomorrow, or will the result at Twickenham remain one of these great one-off results that we have every couple of years ?

We should have beaten Wales, and we should be playing for a Triple Crown and possible Grand Slam. It's a vital game for Scotland's progress tomorrow.....time to step up and show that we have the game winning nous to add to our undoubted ability.