Rugby Union

kiwififer

Not feeling great about Sunday at all. This Ireland side is mince but will probably beat us in the air and at the breakdown (yes I know cheating cheating etc), NAP they do if Maitland and Ritchie are still out. 

Combine that with this team's ability to lose the head and drop off physically when it's against them, and inability to score unless it's outside the opposition 22, and it'll be another fun rollicking ride of the best Scotland team of the past 20 years letting themselves down again. 

I go back and forward on Townsend a lot but I just don't see the long term strategy here. He's said openly he's not concentrating on certain aspects of the game at the moment and seems to be building to the World Cup in the manner that most seem to be. But we can write off getting beyond the quarters if this team don't have experience of winning anything. Say what you like about Wales (and with a cool head position by position they do have excellent players) but they are great winners because they've practiced it.

The other three home nations sides are in transition and the tournament is wide open. Why then we're playing to their schedule and turning out a team that doesn't look like it practices the areas of the game where our strengths lie is a mystery to me. Townsend should have been building towards one of these mid cycle 6 nations to build a winning habit in these players. Obviously not over yet for this 6n but I don't have much confidence at all, and I think his choices are at least slightly responsible for that. 

If we keep the discpline we have a chance of winning as Ireland just rely on winning penalties and kicking.

The problem we have is we dont ever seem to back up a good result. Back in AUtumn, we had a good win away at Wales, then limped home against Italy, a narrow loss to France, then capitulation against Ireland.

We started the 6 nations with excellent result against England, then lost our discipline against Wales to lose the match. If we dont give away stupid penalties the game is there for the taking as Ireland are no great shakes at the moment.

If Glasgow find form between now and the European tie we're in with a shout. Montpellier are 11th in the Top14 and just 6 points above the relegation play off. Phillipe Saint-Andre's their head coach. If we win that we're at home to the quarters to Benneton who're bottom of Pro14 Conference B without a win or Agen who're bottom of the Top14 without a win. 

If Edinburgh beat Racing away in the Champions Cup (I doubt it) they're away again to either Bordeaux or Bristol. 

I think Scotland owe us more tbh. We've got technically very good players now.

I'm not knocking beating England at Twickers but our consistency has to improve. Losing at home to Wales was a massive let down. 

Our leadership and direction needs looked at imo... 

Hearing the lastest form the MLR we are going to be struggling to sign players soon.

As an example LA have just signed Matt Giteua, to add to Adam Ashley Cooper, along with Billy Meakes and Angus Cottrell are all players you would take, mixed with the ex Glasgow contingent in DTH, Adam Ashe and Glen Bryce 

14 minutes ago, honestly united said:

Hearing the lastest form the MLR we are going to be struggling to sign players soon.

As an example LA have just signed Matt Giteua, to add to Adam Ashley Cooper, along with Billy Meakes and Angus Cottrell are all players you would take, mixed with the ex Glasgow contingent in DTH, Adam Ashe and Glen Bryce 

There's a good mix of Scottish Prem players out in the MLR this year as well.  I know a couple front row lads, one is at New York and the other is at Old Glory DC.  Shame I'm too old (and shite)  and far into my non-rugby career, otherwise it might have been interesting to try and move to.

As if referees coaching players through games hadn't gotten ridiculous enough, BBC reporting that Wayne Barnes and Matt Carley have been in England training this week to  "help England improve their discipline". Much easier to just become better mates with the refs than you already are than just not give away mountains of obvious penalties eh

4 hours ago, honestly united said:

AAC is 36. Giteua is 38.

Meakes didn't do much in England and Cottrell is uncapped. Neither are good enough to be NSQ signings imo.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/mar/11/cvc-concludes-365m-deal-to-buy-a-seventh-share-of-six-nations-rugby-union

Being massive Tories will eventually ruin rugby.

FIFA and UEFA gets loads of criticism but other than VAR they have done a great job of protecting what makes football great. Rugby is going to end up like test cricket.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/mar/11/cvc-concludes-365m-deal-to-buy-a-seventh-share-of-six-nations-rugby-union
FIFA and UEFA gets loads of criticism but other than VAR they have done a great job of protecting what makes football great. Rugby is going to end up like test cricket.
Eh, Uefa have stripped the soul out of community football. Have you seen the new CL proposals?

3 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Eh, Uefa have stripped the soul out of community football. Have you seen the new CL proposals?

That's not coming from UEFA though it's coming from the European Clubs Association.

There is clearly a desire  amongst the biggest clubs to create a European version of the NFL in football where huge profits are guaranteed irrespective of performance. If anyone is going to stop it then it will have to be UEFA and the domestic FAs.

That's not coming from UEFA though it's coming from the European Clubs Association.
There is clearly a desire  amongst the biggest clubs to create a European version of the NFL in football where huge profits are guaranteed irrespective of performance. If anyone is going to stop it then it will have to be UEFA and the domestic FAs.
Yeh, but UEFA need to sanction it.

I'll wait and see what CVC's plans are before making a judgement.

IF all they are going to do is whore the 6 Nations for as big a TV deal as they can get i'll not be impressed.

However if they are going to look to make some headway in the big european markets (ie Spain & Germany) then i'll be on board. The problem the 6N's have with sponsors is that its a very limited market. I think merging the 6N's with Rugby Europe under one umbrella would be the way forward, and opens up the rest of Europe to advertisers / sponsors as the 6N's is no longer a closed shop. Hopefully this is used to grow the game everywhere, not just add to the gulf between T1's and T2's