Rugby Union

kiwififer

8 hours ago, Comrie said:

England guilty of some Scotland level discipline at times.

The discipline of the Wales side has been immense in this tournament so far and that of their first three opponents has been woeful. That's the difference so far. They're trying to do the basics first and then add to that if they can. It's exactly what NZ have been doing for decades. No surprise there with Pivac in charge. 

Just now, Wee Bully said:

Knee to head, but let’s ignore that and yellow card Glasgow instead.

That was the third time they've been penalised for flopping on a player on the ground. They also had two penalties against them for no-arms tackles in the lead up to Huw Jones' try. No sign of a yellow for Leinster though.

17 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

So you won't be finding the rule then. OK

That's a great idea. Could you dig up the rule/regulation or whatever it is and copy it onto here? Serious question.

A long long time ago it was OK to drop the ball i.e. forward provided you could get your boot to it before it hit the ground or went out of play. It wouldn't be called out as a knock forward if you managed that. 

I have no idea of the rule/regulation these days so it would be interesting to see what it says.

Time to play all the younger guys who actually want to be there, impressed by the back 3 and especially by Ross Thompson when he came on. Hastings has f*cked it big time. Why didn't Jones and Johnson get a chance to play like this over the last few years - presumably because Rennie didn't rate Jones at all, which is madness when you see what he brings.

Older poster reference, Nakawara should start heading to Ulster, starting on Monday as far as I am concerned, in a proven mode of transport for that stretch of water.

image.png.fed4c0bd3e283a5ea1e01dd264d9ff68.png

Wasn't the hammering we feared but a BP or 2 would've been helpful before the final 4 winnable games for Champs Cup qualification but we're outsiders tbh. 

1st half barring the try, the players couldn't be arsed. Ollie Smith's miss kick was a rookie error. He'll learn but the RDS punishes mistakes. Cole Forbes's yellow was stupid. He could've waited till he landed. If he scored the try, we'd still have 15 and a tough conversion for them. The red was harsh though. Adam Hastings stretched his leg to balance in the air. Yellow would've been fairer. 

Far better 2nd half. Defence was more alert as was the general play. We fell apart after TJ Ioane's yellow. Going in shoulder first's stupid but when it cancels your penalty it's worse. 

The academy graduate who replaced Naka in the 2nd half was better. Naka couldn't be arsed, was unfit and was blowing like a whale. Jamie Dobie and Ross Thompson will be internationalists and Ollie Smith will compete with Josh McKay at 15 when Huw Jones goes who's never done much for Glasgow. Cole Forbes looked good apart from the yellow so hopefully he's a replacement for Ratu Tagive. Jack Dempsey's another big signing so hopefully he replaces TJ Ioane who's discipline's poor. 

Next season's the time to judge. We need a Plan B and to improve defence. If we're to challenge for silverware next season we need to play for 80 minutes instead of a H/T rollicking being needed. If we're still hanging about with Zebre and the Dragons come Xmas then it's time for change. 

Edited by come on shire

3 hours ago, Dev said:

That's a great idea. Could you dig up the rule/regulation or whatever it is and copy it onto here? Serious question.

A long long time ago it was OK to drop the ball i.e. forward provided you could get your boot to it before it hit the ground or went out of play. It wouldn't be called out as a knock forward if you managed that. 

I have no idea of the rule/regulation these days so it would be interesting to see what it says.

There is literally nothing in the rule book about it. There is no mention of a kick mitigating a knock on.

You can search all the laws here https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/home

---

Rugby League does have an explicit rule about a kick nullifying an accidental knock on

https://www.rugby-league.com/the_rfl/rules_and_regulations/laws_of_the_game/knock_on__forward_pass

Accidental 2. If, after knocking-on accidentally, the player knocking-on regains or kicks the ball before it touches the ground, a goal post, cross bar or an opponent, then play shall be allowed to proceed.
Otherwise play shall stop and a scrum shall be formed except after the fifth play-the-ball.

but looking at the League rules they don't seem to care if a player knocks it on with their chest.

Knock On means to knock the ball towards the opponent's dead ball line with hand or arm.

but not with your head

Heading the ball 4. It is illegal to head the ball in a forward direction.

Edited by Jim McLean's Ghost

In the now increasingly unlikely event France can participate, in two weeks time England beat France and we beat Ireland with a BP. Then we beat Italy with a BP while hopefully running up the points difference and France beat Wales, hopefully without a losing BP for Wales. That could leave us in a position where any win v France wins us the tournament, whenever that's played.

I suspect England beating France is about as likely as Italy beating Wales at this point, however.

Hastings was unfortunate to see red imo, but sadly common sense has been removed from the decision making process and there won't be many cases now where kicking somebody in the head, whether it is accidentally or not, doesn't end up in a red card.

Some good performances from the younger players. Sadly Nakawara is a shadow of the player we know he can be, looks nowhere near as fit and mentally I think he is already halfway to Ulster.

This was superb by Grant Stewart.

On 28/02/2021 at 01:52, Arch Stanton said:

Some journalist on twitter saying it's the worst refereeing performance he's ever seen.

He obviously didn't watch the WC QF between Scotland and Australia in 2015.

Craig Joubert was so embarrassed by awarding that last minute penalty to Aus that he fucked off down the tunnel before anyone had a chance to shake his hand or knock f**k out of him.

Craig Joubert made one real mistake in that game and in real time it was understandable. The commentary team missed it too, until the replay. Arguably he should have gone to the TMO but I think the rules said he should only go to the TMO for tries and foul play.

Gauzerre handed Wales a try by giving England less than 20 seconds for their wide players to get 30 metres across the pitch. He screwed them over.

But honestly, Carley's handling of Scotland v Wales two weeks ago and Ireland v Scotland last autumn were both worse. They weren't isolated incidents, he policed offside and the breakdown differently for the two teams over the whole match.

Guest Bob Mahelp
22 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I'd imagine if Scotland beat Ireland in 2 weeks, then Gatland has to be picking Welsh and Scottish players mainly

Firstly, no matter the current form of the sides, Ireland generally have our number. We'll have to show Twickenham levels of consistency and discipline to match them.

(Checks who referee is. Oh God...it's Poite. A man we get few favours from).

Secondly, I suspect that as ever Gatland will go with the tried and tested for the Lions tour. It'll be packed with English and Welsh players and will include Johnny Sexton. Hogg and Gray have a chance of making the starting XV, but only because they play with Exeter. 

Watson and Ritchie may be in the squad as midweek dirttrackers (presuming there is a tour of course). 

52 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Craig Joubert made one real mistake in that game and in real time it was understandable. The commentary team missed it too, until the replay. Arguably he should have gone to the TMO but I think the rules said he should only go to the TMO for tries and foul play.

Gauzerre handed Wales a try by giving England less than 20 seconds for their wide players to get 30 metres across the pitch. He screwed them over.

But honestly, Carley's handling of Scotland v Wales two weeks ago and Ireland v Scotland last autumn were both worse. They weren't isolated incidents, he policed offside and the breakdown differently for the two teams over the whole match.

England's defence on the other side was set though, May(?) was out on the far touchline and the rest of their players on that side were lined up spread out. It's not unfair that George Ford and the rest of the England team on the try-scoring side were walking across with their backs turned or that Farrell took 30 seconds to pass on instructions that should have taken two. Given Ford did manage to compete for the ball but just got outjumped it was clearly more than enough time. 

I think part of that does stem from Farrell's (hilarious) utter inability to manage a ref though. It was clear fairly early on that he'd lost Gauzerre.

Carley two weeks ago, and Andrew Brace in the final of the Autumn Nations Cup were both far worse refereeing performances. 

The French head coach Galthie now confirmed to have left their sporting bubble prior to the outbreak in their squad. 

I know it was a completely different tournament with different rules regarding postponements etc., but it does increasingly look like a joke that Glasgow had to forfeit points for their game following the Exeter mess. 

Had this been Italy, and not grand-slam final chasing France, then I suspect we'd be significantly more likely to see Scotland awarded the points. 

More twitter 'abuse' for genge not clapping Wales off pitch when his teammates did

I remember Scotland winning Calcutta cup and denying England grand slam at murrayfield 2000

Entire English team walked straight off pitch and down tunnel at final whistle 😂

It was a joy to behold