Rugby Union

kiwififer

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 hours ago, GAD said:

Gary Graham seems to be out. Wonder if he's carrying the can for last week's disaster. He didn't play well to be fair. No sign of Hutcheson or Skinner. Obviously in the bad books for something.

He was a f*cking nightmare last week. Back to the bad old days of braindead forwards giving away ridiculous penalties and costing us territory and points. 

Thank God he's been booted (injured apparently). 

We're not a team that is good enough to be able to compensate for poor discipline. If players aren't intelligent enough to play controlled rugby, they can hand their jersey to someone who is. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

He was a f*cking nightmare last week. Back to the bad old days of braindead forwards giving away ridiculous penalties and costing us territory and points. 
Thank God he's been booted (injured apparently). 
We're not a team that is good enough to be able to compensate for poor discipline. If players aren't intelligent enough to play controlled rugby, they can hand their jersey to someone who is. 

If we hadn't let Wales score before half time then IMO Scotland go on to win comfortably, instead they gained about 70 metres through a few consecutive Scotland penalties and get a try back.

5 hours ago, GAD said:

Gary Graham seems to be out. Wonder if he's carrying the can for last week's disaster. He didn't play well to be fair. No sign of Hutcheson or Skinner. Obviously in the bad books for something.

He gave away 4 penalties which is an absolute disaster. He put needless pressure on us. He'd fit into the Kelly Brown, Al Strockosch and John Bettie mould during the Andy Robinson and early Vern Cotter days. 

In other news Rob Harley is in. A great club stalwart but I wouldn't have him in a Scotland squad. 

35 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Aye, hopefully that's all of them as I can't see it not being delayed if more players test positive. Facing a France team without Dulin, Dupont, Haouas, Ollivon, Vincent, Villiere and Marchand would be a huge boost. 

That makes me more nervous as a Scottish sports fan. When things start to go in our favour they tend to mess it up. When the Welsh team were losing players to injury it made me less confident rather than more, we would have probably beaten a full strength Wales team.

Are France able to call up players at this point that have not been in the bubble? I would be very surprised if this game goes ahead now. It's clear the French bubble is fucked, and these are just the guys who have tested positive. You'd think most of the rest will have been close contacts. Will the government even let the team travel there under these circumstances?

Are France able to call up players at this point that have not been in the bubble? I would be very surprised if this game goes ahead now. It's clear the French bubble is fucked, and these are just the guys who have tested positive. You'd think most of the rest will have been close contacts. Will the government even let the team travel there under these circumstances?
Agree@GAD. Can't see the Scottish team being allowed to travel plus more positive tests will emerge in coming days. Game is unlikely to go ahead which means it's either played in rest week or end of tournament. Appreciate it can't be helped but I'd rather it is played at end of tournament to allow us a fully fit rested squad for Ireland coming to town. I'm still reeling from the Welsh farce as I firmly believe a Grand Slam was on this year.

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Agree@GAD. Can't see the Scottish team being allowed to travel plus more positive tests will emerge in coming days. Game is unlikely to go ahead which means it's either played in rest week or end of tournament. Appreciate it can't be helped but I'd rather it is played at end of tournament to allow us a fully fit rested squad for Ireland coming to town. I'm still reeling from the Welsh farce as I firmly believe a Grand Slam was on this year.

Yeah, agreed mate, I guess the problem with end of tournament is that it'll be outside the international window and you know the English clubs will kick up shit. French too for that matter. If it ends up being a Glasgow/Edinburgh select v a French D team agreed with the clubs, it's not a very satisfactory outcome either. 

I actually think the French might take a walkover defeat. I think if they weren't 2/2 right now they definitely would. The politics for them are a nightmare.

They can still call players up to the squad, as long as they have been getting regualr tests at their clubs, which most will be. Im sure most countries have a reserve pool of players who have been following the strict testing regimes of the international squads, which is above what the clubs have been doing normally. I think this will either go ahead this week or next. Even next saturday you would have thought the majority testing positive now will still be unavailable next weekend (I assume its 10 days from positive test, but still need a negative to joing back up with the squad?). I think the French will realise that and go with this weekend as normal but with a weakened team. End of the tourney is probably a no go as they like to have all the games on the same day to avoid any tactics on what teams need to win.

On 16/02/2021 at 20:07, ajwffc said:

the problem is that is all they could get planning permission for from the council due to complaints from the locals. 

FWIW that doesn't seem to be true. Even if it were true the only neighbouring houses are on the other side of the Water of Leith behind the west goal, and it wouldn't have affected the height of the other three stands. The closest house is about 75m from the back of the closest stand and cantilevering the roof wouldn't have added much height.

I've read the 7 objections they received to this scheme and most of them are about noise. Imagine buying a house next to the largest stadium in the country and then complaining about crowd noise. Only one objection is about the building itself, and that's from the Water of Leith Conservation Trust who somehow regard that stretch as feeling like countryside. Aye, between the houses on one side and the massive concrete stadium on the other it's like farmland right enough...

Apparently Scotland could be without all the English/french based players if the game is moved back a week. Players would be released back to their clubs as whatwould have been a bye week is out with the international window.
Which is why the only two options should be that it goes ahead this week with whatever team France can field, or the French forfeit the match and Scotland are awarded a 28-0 win.