Rugby Union

kiwififer

Sam Warburton saying that there were 10 Lions level performances from us yesterday.

It's a weird one with the Lions this year. In 2017 there was huge competition between players at their peak for almost every shirt. This year it seems wide open with so many big Lions players who played this weekend like Sexton, Murray, Farrell, Billy V, Faletau, AWJ, Furlong and North looking well past their best. 

If you had to bet on certain starters the only ones I think who look nailed on are George, Itoje, Henshaw and Hogg. 

31 minutes ago, Detournement said:
Sam Warburton saying that there were 10 Lions level performances from us yesterday.
It's a weird one with the Lions this year. In 2017 there was huge competition between players at their peak for almost every shirt. This year it seems wide open with so many big Lions players who played this weekend like Sexton, Murray, Farrell, Billy V, Faletau, AWJ, Furlong and North looking well past their best. 
If you had to bet on certain starters the only ones I think who look nailed on are George, Itoje, Henshaw and Hogg. 

Itoje is a weird one. He’s a really, really good 2nd row and a really, really good open side but at absolute top level he seems neither fish nor fowl and by absolute top level I’m talking about taking in the World Cup winning springboks in their own back yard.

That said there’s not a glut of legendary second row forwards from these islands at the moment so he’ll probably start anyway and even if there was his versatility would put him in the party at least

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

Guest Bob Mahelp
41 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Ireland greeting about one high tackle when they were penalised for three and made contact with North's eye as well is typical. 

O'Mahoney should have been red carded against us 2 years ago but the referee shat it. 

He seems to have made a career out of 'accidentally' injuring opposition players. 

20 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Itoje is a weird one. He’s a really, really good 2nd row and a really, really good open side but at absolute top level he seems neither fish nor fowl and by absolute top level I’m talking about taking in the World Cup winning springboks in their own back yard.

That said there’s not a glut of legendary second row forwards from these islands at the moment so he’ll probably start anyway and even if there was his versatility would put him in the party at least

He’d be first name on my team sheet.  An outstanding player.

6 hours ago, stanton said:

I thought a deliberate Knock on was a yellow card offence 

When you consider the ‘deliberate knock-on’ Duncan Taylor got sin binned for against Ireland(?) last autumn then it was absolutely bizarre not to give one there.

Defensively, Lowe was all over the place for Ireland in that one. We shouldn’t have any fears against Ireland after watching that, especially as we have them at Murrayfield. 4 wins is definitely achievable.

Edited by AngusTheBull

Also extra delicious to see Farrell had attempted his classic no-arms shoulder ‘tackle’ just before Duhan’s try.

Like the dude blaming Duhan for staying upright as he was tackled for Farrell not using his arms

Just as a round up on the weekend,

Leaving aside the players, who one and all were fantastic, I'd like to take my hat off to Townsend, who's position as Scotland coach I thought was rightly being questioned after a pretty poor world cup, Finn gate etc, he has turned things around. Last season was solid if unspectacular but his given the team the foundation to build on for yesterday's result. We could be 4 undefeated if Hogg hadn't given away a scrum underneath the posts and you would have to go back years for such a good run.

The Irish is the next hoodoo to get off our back, but if we play with the same intensity and discipline we should beat them. I didn't see much from Wales to trouble us. As a rugby fan I am actually really excited to watch the France game as I think it could be a fantastic game of rugby. As a Scotland fan its the one im dreading as France have now got a coaching set up that is not caving into player pressure and getting the best out of them.

And on the taking a knee, not one player from France, Italy, Ireland or Wales took a knee. Nobody did during the Autumn internationals. I am happy with the explanation that everyone in the Scotland camp had assumed that they weren't doing it.  However once some (and not all) the England players took a knee some of the Scotland players decided to join in, but obviously not everyone noticed they were doing it. However I am sure like most people that have stood through minutes silence for people they never knew (or in some cases had never heard off) I would be surprised if all of the players were actually taking the time to think about BLM / inclusivity etc and not about the first hit / game plan etc.

I dont really get why so many people are rushing to tarnish a group of players who have just achieved one of the best results and performances in a many a year (I was going to say generation but its probably more than that now). 1999 or 1990 was the last time we had as good a team, and I would actually be surprised if we didn't lift the Triple Crown for the first time since 1990. Its bizzare we have to look for the perceived negatives and not just enjoy the success

Edit to add  -I thought Fagerson was again excellent at 8, and hopefully silenced a few doubters. Bit biggest praise for Turner, lineout was one area I thought we would struggle but his throwing was excellent pretty sure he was 100%

Edited by honestly united

20 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Exactly, it's horrendous. 

There are more social media comments this morning about kneeling, racists, and Nicola Sturgeon than there are about an amazing performance. 

Is this the kind of country we've become ? That we can't enjoy a magnificent sporting performance together ? That we've got to be obsessed by pathetic, irrelevant, nothing trivialities ? That we're controlled by hate and bitterness ?

f**k me. 

Yes. That's what happens when you have a decade of divisive, grievance based, identity/ Nationalistic politics.