Rugby Union

kiwififer

Guest Bob Mahelp

A fantastic day, and just 2 comments on points raised earlier..

Chris Harris - The reason that we're leaking so few tries these days is because of Harris's superb defensive instincts. He's the man who controls the back line in defence and he's doing it brilliantly. He's not flashy, but he's an utter rock and justifiably one of the first names down on the teamsheet. Redpath at inside centre has the dancing feet and the combination of him and Harris  in the centres could well be our best in over 20 years. 

Finn- It says everything about his standards and what's expected of him that some say he had a bad game yesterday. He didn't.....his control of the game was fantastic and I invite you to watch the difference between Russell playing number 10 and Hastings or Weir. The way he brings others into the game is magical, and again the combination of Russell with Redpath on his shoulder is pretty mouthwatering. 

Of course, as we all know he plays on the edge and loves the 'big risk, big reward' style. We just have to accept that from time to time, things won't come off for him. But I wouldn't swap him for any other number 10 in world rugby, no thanks. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

1 minute ago, G51 said:

I’m not surprised in the slightest that the Scottish rugby team didn’t collectively show solidarity against racism.

Billy Vunipola at least in the England team said he wouldn't do it. There was possibly an agreement to give it a miss and avoid more controversy. 

That's a fairly snide comment to make about the team. I think they would all have done it if asked the same as the football team have. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

A fantastic day, and just 2 comments on points raised earlier..

Chris Harris - The reason that we're leaking so few tries these days is because of Harris's superb defensive instincts. He's the man who controls the back line in defence and he's doing it brilliantly. He's not flashy, but he's an utter rock and justifiably one of the first names down on the teamsheet. Redpath at inside centre has the dancing feet and the combination of him and Harris  in the centres could well be our best in over 20 years. 

Finn- It says everything about his standards and what's expected of him that some say he had a bad game yesterday. He didn't.....his control of the game was fantastic and I invite you to watch the difference between Russell playing number 10 and Hastings or Weir. The way he brings others into the game is magical, and again the combination of Russell with Redpath on his shoulder is pretty mouthwatering. 

Of course, as we all know he plays on the edge and loves the 'big risk, big reward' style. We just have to accept that from time to time, things won't come off for him. But I wouldn't swap him for any other number 10 in world rugby, no thanks. 

Scotland has some amount of depth in the centres.  By all accounts the lad Hutchinson is quite the flair player, on top of the guys who played yesterday and four or five others. 

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

Billy Vunipola at least in the England team said he wouldn't do it. There was possibly an agreement to give it a miss and avoid more controversy. 

That's a fairly snide comment to make about the team. I think they would all have done it if asked the same as the football team have. 

Which, if true, is a pretty good argument in favour of taking a knee.  I do think it would have been different were there any players of colour in the squad. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Just the presence of Russell rather than Hastings or Weir is huge. When we had Weir at 10 teams were giving us no respect at all.

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

So you think they weren’t asked, and the blame lies at the door of the management at Scottish Rugby?

Its not a snide comment at all. As Tony Soprano once said, those who want respect, give respect.

8 minutes ago, G51 said:

I’m not surprised in the slightest that the Scottish rugby team didn’t collectively show solidarity against racism.

See to be honest, if I made a choice to support a team who's success is built on actively exploiting sectarianism, racism and pushing the idea of white protestant supremacy, because they were on TV and won all the time, I'd probably pipe down.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

Scotland has some amount of depth in the centres.  By all accounts the lad Hutchinson is quite the flair player, on top of the guys who played yesterday and four or five others. 

Rory Hutchison at Northampton Saints ?

I happened to watch their game last week and he was excellent, scoring 3 tries and generally dominating the match.

He's only 25, I thought he was older. Only 3 caps for Scotland as well.

3 minutes ago, GAD said:

See to be honest, if I made a choice to support a team who's success is built on actively exploiting sectarianism, racism and pushing the idea of white protestant supremacy, because they were on TV and won all the time, I'd probably pipe down.

What a load of shite :lol:

A genuinely funny attempt at a caricature to try and defend the Scottish national team - representing all of us - not making the most basic anti-racism gesture in solidarity.

Anyone who’s serious about anti-racism isn’t defending the Scottish national team here. They got it wrong, either because they didn’t think about it or because they don’t believe in it. 

4 minutes ago, G51 said:

A genuinely funny attempt at a caricature to try and defend the Scottish national team - representing all of us - not making the most basic anti-racism gesture in solidarity.

Anyone who’s serious about anti-racism isn’t defending the Scottish national team here. They got it wrong, either because they didn’t think about it or because they don’t believe in it. 

The Knee is an empty gesture. It's nothing to do with serious anti racism. 

Three non white players including the only player of colour on the Scotland team chose not to take it. I don't think it's because they are racist. 

4 minutes ago, G51 said:

I'm not defending them. I've already said they either didn't think about it or they didn't want to do it, and I know which is worse.

There is nothing funny about what I've said about Rangers. You know it's true. How you justify it to yourself is up to you, but don't pretend it's not true and you are not, at the very least, happy to turn a blind eye.

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The Knee is an empty gesture. It's nothing to do with serious anti racism

Three non white players including the only player of colour on the Scotland team chose not to take it. I don't think it's because they are racist. 

Anyone who seriously believes this hasn’t been paying attention. It is an act of solidarity with anti-racist movements, in particular BLM, and the minimum we should expect from our national team is that it does this act to show that it represents every Scot and fundamentally supports the principles of justice and equality.

Which is why I’m not surprised that the rugby union team didn’t do it. It’s shameful, and they should have done it, and I’m surprised people have the neck to defend them, but it’s not surprising that they didn’t. My experience of Scottish rugby is that its a sport that has been steeped in privilege for as long as I can remember.

8 minutes ago, GAD said:

I'm not defending them. I've already said they either didn't think about it or they didn't want to do it, and I know which is worse.

There is nothing funny about what I've said about Rangers. You know it's true. How you justify it to yourself is up to you, but don't pretend it's not true and you are not, at the very least, happy to turn a blind eye.

You are clearly defending them because you’re picking people up for criticising them. Trying to mitigate the criticism with shite like “not every sport does it!” as if that excuses them.

It is shite, and will be treated as shite unless you can prove that Rangers FC actively promotes sectarianism, racism or white supremacy. It reads like the sort of nonsense Phil McGillivan writes on his blog.

9 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The Knee is an empty gesture. It's nothing to do with serious anti racism. 

The history of the knee in the US and what happened to Colin Kaepernick suggests the opposite of your initial claim there.   But I agree we shouldn’t assume motive.  I think it’s a terrible look, though. 

Guest TheJTS98
2 minutes ago, G51 said:

You are clearly defending them because you’re picking people up for criticising them. Trying to mitigate the criticism with shite like “not every sport does it!” as if that excuses them.

Why do they need 'excused'?

It undermines the nature of protest if you force people to do it.

Nobody should be forced to endorse any social or political view or movement when they're at their work.

It is shite, and will be treated as shite unless you can prove that Rangers FC actively promotes sectarianism, racism or white supremacy. It reads like the sort of nonsense Phil McGillivan writes on his blog.
You really want to stop digging that hole mate. You're coming across as Sean Clerkin with a Rangers scarf on.

Just now, TheJTS98 said:

Why do they need 'excused'?

It undermines the nature of protest if you force people to do it.

Nobody should be forced to endorse any social or political view or movement when they're at their work.

Sharing anti-racist principles should be the minimum requirement for representing the national team. Character is just as important as ability.

They shouldn’t need to be forced to, they should want to. If they don’t then there’s  a problem.

6 minutes ago, G51 said:

Oafft, wrap yourself in your wee orange strip there mate and tell me Rangers have had nothing to do with promoting sectarianism in Scotland. Some look for you I have to say.

Just to be clear, I think the players should have taken the knee. I think it's a terrible look that they didn't and I'm very disappointed.