Rugby Union

kiwififer

1 minute ago, honestly united said:

I dont think I have seen such a dominant display by Scotland against one of the top teams in World Rugby. Yes we have beaten Australia, South Africa and England and France recently, but this was on another level. I know Finn comes in for some criticism for some of the mistakes he made, but today I thought he was fantastic. Its was his kicking that put is into good positions all game, and I thought he controlled things brilliantly and would much rather have him at 10 than a Farrell or Sexton. I think this was a better all round performance than 2 years ago

Also what a player Redpath is, first game at International level and he strolled it.  I just hope we get the same level of performance next week against Wales. Next hurdle is getting the Irish hoodoo off out backs. Can you imagine the seethe on the last day if Scotland wrap up the champinship in the first game against Italy leaving the other 2 games meaningless!

Did you actually watch the game?  Finn was dreadful.  Our worst performer without a doubt.

4 hours ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

Are you surprised. Scotland were pish! England even pishier!

Poster in I know nothing about top level rugby post shocker..

Scotland stopped England from getting to their 5m line, cemented their reputation as being a mean defence and put in the biggest 80 minute solid performance in 31 years, for the terminally hard of thinking that was the 1990 Grand Slam decider.  How you can think that that performance was pish is beyond belief, it was a good example of what made Scotland rugby good to watch all those years ago, balls out concentration and playing to the natural strengths of organised chaos.  

What they need to do now is back it up against Wales next week to enable them to put down some serious credentials and then face up to Ireland for the Triple Crown, that would be  a major step forward, IMO.

16 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Did you actually watch the game?  Finn was dreadful.  Our worst performer without a doubt.

Personally I thought that Chris Harris was anonymous today, probably due to not being threatened down the 12/13 channel.  The Judas snake has never been that effective on the front foot (just to clarify I'm  Newcastle Falcons fan and Harris activated a relegation clause after defensively shitting the bed the season before last trying to protect himself so he could play for Scotland, I dont like calling rugby players cowards but he is the closest I have seen in the professional game (yes I am still bitter)). 

26 minutes ago, honestly united said:

I dont think I have seen such a dominant display by Scotland against one of the top teams in World Rugby. Yes we have beaten Australia, South Africa and England and France recently, but this was on another level. I know Finn comes in for some criticism for some of the mistakes he made, but today I thought he was fantastic. Its was his kicking that put is into good positions all game, and I thought he controlled things brilliantly and would much rather have him at 10 than a Farrell or Sexton. I think this was a better all round performance than 2 years ago

Also what a player Redpath is, first game at International level and he strolled it.  I just hope we get the same level of performance next week against Wales. Next hurdle is getting the Irish hoodoo off out backs. Can you imagine the seethe on the last day if Scotland wrap up the champinship in the first game against Italy leaving the other 2 games meaningless!

I had Redpath as a contender for MOM for a while ,( and not just because I know his dad )  For his first game I thought he was excellent especially considering the opposition 

3 minutes ago, Captain Carrot said:

Personally I thought that Chris Harris was anonymous today, probably due to not being threatened down the 12/13 channel.  The Judas snake has never been that effective on the front foot (just to clarify I'm  Newcastle Falcons fan and Harris activated a relegation clause after defensively shitting the bed the season before last trying to protect himself so he could play for Scotland, I dont like calling rugby players cowards but he is the closest I have seen in the professional game (yes I am still bitter)). 

England not asking a question of Harris doesn’t mean he didn’t perform although I do agree he was largely anonymous.  Don’t remember any mistakes from him though.  Finn had questions posed to him and largely failed to answer.

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

England not asking a question of Harris doesn’t mean he didn’t perform although I do agree he was largely anonymous.  Don’t remember any mistakes from him though.  Finn had questions posed to him and largely failed to answer.

To be honest, I cant remember seeing him with much ball in hand or being first man to the breakdown, which used to be a strength of his but to be fair England rarely broke the main defensive line so he may well have been just doing his job and all the ugly stuff that goes with it. Also accept that the commentators/cameras would have had more focus on Cam Redpath than Harris though.

Still think the man is an ungrateful snake and will laugh my moobs off if Gloucester get relegated this season.

Some performance. Hard to pick players out given how many played well but I'm going to anyway. Hogg was absolutely colossal in the 2nd half, that torp he launched downfield is one of the best kicks I've ever seen on a rugby pitch. Thought Jonny Gray was a bit unlucky not to get man of the match, superb throughout. I've been critical of Turner for his throwing but he stood up massively today, good on him. Matt Fagerson had his best performance for Scotland today, he's always been a serious talent and at 22 could be our number 8 for over a decade. He showed that there's more to being a number 8 than just smashing into people a few times a game. Similarly Redpath was superb on debut and could be our 12 for a long time. Jones will be spewing that he didn't cap him while he had the chance.

The taking the knee stuff was disappointing and I'd like to know the reasoning behind it.

2 hours ago, ajwffc said:

Also  I think David Cherry is the 1st player to get a  full cap(Sevens player Josh Henderson spent time with them ) to play for Stade Niçois as part of the Performance Pathway partnership

He will be aye, Stade Nicois were 4th tier at the time too and only 2 and a half years ago. Quite the rise. He's been really dependable whenever he's played for Embra but Cockerill has bizarrely favoured Willemse until recently. It was great seeing him and Redpath lift the cup so good on Hogg for suggesting that.

22 minutes ago, ConcernedReferee said:

Not a Rugby guy but would watch Scotland play ping-pong What an end to a sporting match though, did not realise it was such a rarity to beat England at home but to be  fair they looked so lumbering even big Shane Duffy would fit into their team

*Nir Bitton

29 minutes ago, ConcernedReferee said:

Not a Rugby guy but would watch Scotland play ping-pong What an end to a sporting match though, did not realise it was such a rarity to beat England at home but to be  fair they looked so lumbering even big Shane Duffy would fit into their team

Glory hunting c**t.  Do you realise how many hammerings most of us have seen at Twickenham?  You chip up once and watch us win.  Make me fucking sick...

...not really.  Enjoy it pal.  Doesn’t happen often.

Guest TheJTS98
6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Yep, certainly takes the shine off the win when you realise the bulk of the team "feel comfortable with" systematic racism in society.

That is a hell of a jump to make, and frankly a disgraceful thing to say.

Guest TheJTS98
10 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Not having a go at your post, but on the decision made by the players.

1) I don't follow a load of rugby and was genuinely taken aback to see so many of our players not doing the bare minimum here. Taking the knee has become a 2) universal gesture across every other sport, so if rugby, a sport which literally makes pre-match rituals a part of its entire USP, isn't taking part in that it seems a bit off.

The players, of course, have every right to do whatever they choose to do, but by the same measure 3) I have the same right to judge them for it. They had a chance to make a big statement about their opposition to racism on the sport's biggest stage and they chose not to. That says a lot about them.

1) But you'll get on your high-horse anyway.

I do watch rugby. Plenty of rugby of both codes has been going ahead with no taking a knee or with some doing it and some not. You're jumping in to something you (as you say yourself) are uninformed about and throwing around slaggings. It's ridiculous.

Your 'bare minimum' comment is contemptible. You know nothing about these guys and what they do or do not do. Who makes you the arbiter of 'bare minimum'?

2) No, it's not. I've watched football matches, rugby of both codes, basketball, and cricket where nobody has been following this supposedly 'universal' convention. Not sure how little sport you must watch if you think this is 'universal'.

3) Of course you do. You can do whatever you want. But if you're going to judge people in the public sphere, especially as you're someone who has something of a platform, you owe it to those people to be informed before you wade in spouting complete nonsense and making allegations about people's character from a position of ignorance.

It's a special mindset to confess to ignorance of how a sport is dealing with an issue, then seize the moral high-ground from a group of guys who have obviously had internal discussions over weeks and months with teammates, managers etc. Doesn't matter how they arrived there, you can just decide they are 'comfortable with structural racism'.

Get a grip of yourself.

Edited by TheJTS98

I thought Finn had a good game.
He put one kick into touch and made an arse of the drop goal attempt but that was surely called by the captain and it was a poor pass.  He missed two tricky kicks. 
The yellow card was a better option than letting Slade run by him. 

I would agree. Thought it was a mature display that put England on the back foot a number of times. In general his kicking was quite smart I felt bar the drop goal and kick for touch that failed. Russell is a gambler, he often plays things that look not on or you think "wtf is he doing?" But if you can accept that, you get payoffs on days like yesterday and Murrayfield in 2018 where he is a genuine world class fly half.

Hastings had a fine display last year but Russell is a class above. I struggle to get behind the concept of the Lions I'm afraid (spot the fairweather watcher here), but I'd rather play Russell than Farrell if I was in charge.

Watching the highlights and @Detournement is right about the cross kick, Duhan made an arse of that a bit. More than made up for it though. England really should have had another man binned, probably just as Russell was coming on. Had given away another mountain of penalties and weren't even pretending to be inside for a few phases before Daly caught that intercept. If the authorities want more tries that's the kind of shit they should be clamping down on

11 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Watching the highlights and @Detournement is right about the cross kick, Duhan made an arse of that a bit. More than made up for it though. England really should have had another man binned, probably just as Russell was coming on. Had given away another mountain of penalties and weren't even pretending to be inside for a few phases before Daly caught that intercept. If the authorities want more tries that's the kind of shit they should be clamping down on

Yeah, I thought that happened a few times on Scotland advantage, where England just stood 3 yards offside as soon as it was given just to kill the game and nullify Russell. It made it hard for him to pull out one of his tricks they he's usually so good at.

I missed the build up to the game as I was watching St Mirren humping Killie, so I didn't see any of the "taking a knee" stuff. To be honest, I find it a bit disappointing as well.

At half-time yesterday I was doom-laden; Scotland had bettered England for the vast bulk of the opening forty minutes yet after England clawed their way back they went in only two points ahead and faced the next eight minutes a man down. Yet incredibly (to me anyway), they not only kept England at bay, they actually increased their lead and that as much as anything was a barometer of the game. And to anyone taking the 'Scotland pish, England pisher' line, sometimes rugby union is muscular chess, a physical and tactical war of attrition but that doesn't diminish the Scottish performance.

1 hour ago, GAD said:

Yeah, I thought that happened a few times on Scotland advantage, where England just stood 3 yards offside as soon as it was given just to kill the game and nullify Russell. It made it hard for him to pull out one of his tricks they he's usually so good at.

I missed the build up to the game as I was watching St Mirren humping Killie, so I didn't see any of the "taking a knee" stuff. To be honest, I find it a bit disappointing as well.

Scotland has had what, two or three black players ever?  I’m not really surprised there are so many of them removed from reality.  That being said, it’s not really up to me to take offence at their myopia.  

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Scotland has had what, two or three black players ever?  I’m not really surprised there are so many of them removed from reality.  That being said, it’s not really up to me to take offence at their myopia.  

I think it's worth seeing what the explanation, if there is any, is in regards to it. Despite Craigkillie's gibberings, taking the knee hasn't actually been universal across sport, and I'm pretty sure was not being done in the Autumn cup. It may be that they didn't know it was happening. I'm sure it'll come out through the week. If it's a mix up or a mistake, fair enough. If they start going on about "cultural Marxism" or whatever, then it's time to let loose.