Rugby Union

kiwififer

1 minute ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Aye likewise, but on the bright side we've got a new number 8 for people to get far too excited about before he makes <1 metre per carry over the tournament

Ha ha, yeah, I honestly think Thompson is one of the biggest let downs I've seen for Scotland, yet he's still going to start v England.

9 minutes ago, GAD said:

Ha ha, yeah, I honestly think Thompson is one of the biggest let downs I've seen for Scotland, yet he's still going to start v England.

I was meaning Graham but agreed. Tbh the obsession with not having a game breaking ball carrier is silly. As much as I hate to say it Eddie jones was right when he said Scotland should be looking at Japan's style for inspiration in phase play and keeping possession. Hopefully see more of that rather than the grind something out or give it to Finn/Hoggy model our attack seems to have been based on the last couple of years.

Eta There's no reason Watson, Fagerson(s), Sutherland, Cummings and VdM can't give us go forward if we're a little more inventive than passing to them static from a slow ruck. We saw that in the first half against Ireland and caused a lot of bother. More of this please and Russell brought in at 10 and I'm relatively excited 

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

59 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I was meaning Graham but agreed. Tbh the obsession with not having a game breaking ball carrier is silly. As much as I hate to say it Eddie jones was right when he said Scotland should be looking at Japan's style for inspiration in phase play and keeping possession. Hopefully see more of that rather than the grind something out or give it to Finn/Hoggy model our attack seems to have been based on the last couple of years.

Eta There's no reason Watson, Fagerson(s), Sutherland, Cummings and VdM can't give us go forward if we're a little more inventive than passing to them static from a slow ruck. We saw that in the first half against Ireland and caused a lot of bother. More of this please and Russell brought in at 10 and I'm relatively excited 

Japan's game is hitting the ball from depth and quick rucking teams off the park, while working their arses off in defence. There used to be a team that were pretty successful playing like that in the old 5N, played in blue, can't quite put my finger on the name... It would certainly be an effective way for us to play.

Anyway, great to see Cam Redpath in the squad. Brilliant if he scores the winning try at Twickenham

Is Redpath genuinely good then? I was never massively impressed when I've seen him before in Prem games, but to be honest, I didn't realise he was quite so young. Certainly Bath fans seem to rate him. I also think a ball player at 12 is better for Scotland. Most of our best results at the start of the Toonie years came with the much maligned Pete Horne at 12. If Redpath is similar, but better, I'm looking forward to seeing him.

6 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Japan's game is hitting the ball from depth and quick rucking teams off the park, while working their arses off in defence. There used to be a team that were pretty successful playing like that in the old 5N, played in blue, can't quite put my finger on the name... It would certainly be an effective way for us to play

Aye exactly my man. I'll have to go back and look for details but I'm sure Japan were doing some pretty interesting stuff to connect pods and avoid running into defensive walls as well, which tbf at our best we can do too

1 minute ago, GAD said:

Is Redpath genuinely good then? I was never massively impressed when I've seen him before in Prem games, but to be honest, I didn't realise he was quite so young. Certainly Bath fans seem to rate him. I also think a ball player at 12 is better for Scotland. Most of our best results at the start of the Toonie years came with the much maligned Pete Horne at 12. If Redpath is similar, but better, I'm looking forward to seeing him.

This is my thought too, especially given for better or worse Harris is gonna be our 13 going forward (I've come to like him and Taylor is a good alternate for the same role) as a keystone in defence. More threat and allows Hogg to perhaps pick and choose his involvements a little better, which he did in those better Townsend days 

Skinner, Johnson and Hutchinson the notable absentee's, along with only 2 scrum halfs - as there will undoubtedly be some Covid bubbles you would have thought 3 was a minimum or your asking for trouble.

I agree we dont need big 8 and we are better with a mobile back row (ie Barclay at 8 a few years back) if you have a solid scrum, however if the scrum is struggling having a big 8 that can pick the ball at the back of a scrum, make a few yards and hold it up along the rest of the forwards to reset and be a focal point takes a lot of pressure off the team. Nothing worse than a scrum going backwards, and having an 8 the will lose you yards.

Also its good to be able to alter the tactics

21 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Du Preez back in the wilderness, I see. What is it with Townsend and number 8s?

What’s the deal with Hutchinson, Skinner and Johnson?

On Skinner and SHC Toonie claiming that some players not selected as being based in England if they are not in the Match day 23 they would have to return to their clubs, so not ideal with the Covid bubbles etc however he has picked the likes of Dell, McGuigan, Craig who wont likely be in the 23.

Maybe he thinks Exeter are a bit un-clean?

Johnson and Hutchinson was lack of game time

53 minutes ago, honestly united said:

On Skinner and SHC Toonie claiming that some players not selected as being based in England if they are not in the Match day 23 they would have to return to their clubs, so not ideal with the Covid bubbles etc however he has picked the likes of Dell, McGuigan, Craig who wont likely be in the 23.

Cheers. In typical terrace gossip style, I had hoped it was a “falling out”, but recent history actually makes that quite a plausible explanation. 

Cheers. In typical terrace gossip style, I had hoped it was a “falling out”, but recent history actually makes that quite a plausible explanation. 
Didn't he actually specify Exeter?

6 minutes ago, scw1987 said:

Didn't he actually specify Exeter?

I cant remember / dont think he specifically said Exeter, just on the one hand mentioned Skinner and SHC not being picked due to them having to go back to their club if not in the 23, but on the other he's selected Dell (3rd choice prop) McGuigan (doubt he will be in 23) and Craid (again last choice lock) who will be in the same boat.

For me Skinner would be ideal on the bench as gives extra back row cover given both Gray and Cummings are fit enough to last the full 80 but dont think he would be first choice, and its madness only having 2 scrum halfs involved

REMAINING RESCHEDULED FIXTURES
Saturday, January 30

R5: Benetton v Munster – KO 17:00 UK / 18:00 ITA Stadio Monigo, Treviso Host broadcaster: DAZN; Secondary: eir Sport 1, Premier Sports

R8: Scarlets v Leinster – KO 19:35 Parc y Scarlets, Llanelli Host broadcaster: S4C; Secondary: Premier Sports, eir Sport 1, TG4

Friday, February 5

R5: Dragons v Connacht – KO 19:35 Rodney Parade, Newport Host broadcaster: Premier Sports; Secondary: TG4, eir Sport 1 (deferred)

Friday, February 12

R7: Dragons v Edinburgh – KO 19:35 Rodney Parade, Newport Host broadcaster: Premier Sports; Secondary: eir Sport 1

Saturday, February 13

R8: Connacht v Ospreys – KO 19:35 The Sportsground, Galway Host broadcaster: TG4; Secondary: Premier Sports, eir Sport 1 (deferred)

R12 TO R16 FIXTURES
Round 12

Friday, February 19

Dragons v Leinster – KO 19:35 Rodney Parade, Newport Host Broadcaster: Premier; Secondary Broadcaster: eir Sport, TG4

Glasgow Warriors v Ulster – KO 19:35 Scotstoun Stadium, Glasgow Host Broadcaster: Premier Sport; Secondary Broadcaster: eir Sport

Saturday, February 20

Scarlets v Benetton – KO 15:00 UK Parc y Scarlets, Llanelli Host Broadcaster: Premier Sports; Secondary Broadcaster: eir Sport, DAZN

Connacht v Cardiff Blues – KO 19:35 The Sportsground, Galway Host Broadcaster TG4; Secondary Broadcaster: Premier Sports, Eir Sport (deferred)

Ospreys v Zebre – KO 17:15 Liberty Stadium, Swansea Host Broadcaster: S4C; Secondary Broadcaster: Premier Sports, eir Sport, DAZN

Edinburgh v Munster – KO 19:35 BT Murrayfield, Edinburgh Host Broadcaster: Premier Sports; Secondary Broadcaster: eir Sport

ROUND 13
Friday, February 26

Benetton v Connacht – 17:30 (UK) / 18:30 (ITA) Stadio Monigo, Treviso Host Broadcaster: DAZN; Secondary Broadcaster: Premier Sport, TG4, eir Sport (deferred)

Cardiff Blues v Munster – KO 20:00 Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff Host Broadcaster: S4C; Secondary Broadcaster: Premier Sports, eir Sport, TG4

Ulster v Ospreys – KO 20:00 Kingspan Stadium, Belfast Host Broadcaster: Premier Sports; Secondary Broadcaster: eir Sport

Saturday, February 27

Edinburgh v Scarlets – KO 12:00 BT Murrayfield, Edinburgh Host Broadcaster: Premier Sports; Secondary Broadcaster: eir Sport

Zebre v Dragons – KO 17:15 (UK) / 18:15 (ITA) Stadio Sergio Lanfranchi, Parma Host Broadcaster: DAZN; Secondary Broadcaster: eir Sport, Premier Sports

Sunday, February 28

Leinster v Glasgow Warriors – KO 17:30 RDS Arena, Dublin Host Broadcaster: eir Sport; Secondary Broadcaster: Premier Sport

ROUND 14
Friday, March 5

Munster v Connacht – KO 19:35 Thomond Park, Limerick Host Broadcaster: eir Sport; Secondary Broadcaster: Premier Sports

Saturday, March 6

Zebre v Glasgow Warriors – KO 14:00 (UK) / 15:00 (ITA) Stadio Sergio Lanfranchi, Parma Host Broadcaster: DAZN; Secondary Broadcaster: Premier Sports, eir Sport

Ulster v Leinster – KO 19:35 Kingspan Stadium, Ulster Host Broadcaster: Premier Sport; Secondary Broadcaster: eir Sport

Sunday, March 7

Edinburgh v Benetton– KO 15:15 (UK) BT Murrayfield, Edinburgh Host Broadcaster: Premier Sport; Secondary Broadcaster: eir Sport, DAZN

Ospreys v Dragons – KO TBC

ROUND 15
Friday, March 12

Glasgow Warriors v Ospreys – KO 20:00 Scotstoun Stadium, Glasgow Host Broadcaster: Premier; Secondary Broadcaster: eir Sport

Zebre v Leinster – KO 17:45 (UK) / 18:45 (ITA) Stadio Sergio Lanfranchi, Parma Host Broadcaster: DAZN; Secondary Broadcaster: eir Sport, Premier Sports

Munster v Scarlets – KO 20:00 Thomond Park, Limerick Host Broadcaster: eir Sport; Secondary Broadcaster: Premier Sport, S4C, TG4

Saturday, March 13

Connacht v Edinburgh – KO 19:35 The Sportsground, Galway Host Broadcaster: TG4; Secondary Broadcaster: Premier Sports, eir Sport

Dragons v Ulster – KO 19:35 Rodney Parade, Newport Host Broadcaster: Premier Sport; Secondary Broadcaster: eir Sport

Sunday, March 14

Benetton v Cardiff Blues – KO 13:00 (UK) / 14:00 (ITA) Stadio Monigo, Treviso Host Broadcaster: DAZN; Secondary Broadcaster: Premier Sport; eir Sport

ROUND 16
Friday, March 19

Munster v Benetton – KO 18:00 Thomond Park, Limerick Host Broadcaster: TG4; Secondary Broadcaster: eir Sport, Premier Sport, DAZN

Ulster v Zebre – KO 20:15 Kingspan Stadium, Belfast Host Broadcaster: Premier Sports; Secondary Broadcaster: eir Sport, DAZN

Leinster v Ospreys – KO 20:15 RDS Arena, Dublin Host Broadcaster: eir Sport; Secondary Broadcaster: TG4, Premier Sports

Sunday, March 21

Dragons v Glasgow Warriors – KO 15:00 Rodney Parade, Newport Host Broadcaster: Premier Sports; Secondary Broadcaster: eir Sport

Monday, March 22

Scarlets v Connacht – KO 20:00 Parc y Scarlets, Llanelli Host Broadcaster: S4C; Secondary Broadcaster: Premier Sports, eir Sports, TG4

Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh – KO: 20:00 Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff Host Broadcaster: Premier Sports; Secondary Broadcaster: eir Sport