kiwififer

Rugby Union

They were in a bad shape before this happened, the previous pro League was a shambles, they paid over the odds to host games and didn't draw the crowds they thought they would, and moving the sevens from Vegas to San Francisco hasn't gone well either

They were in a bad shape before this happened, the previous pro League was a shambles, they paid over the odds to host games and didn't draw the crowds they thought they would, and moving the sevens from Vegas to San Francisco hasn't gone well either
Moving the sevens from Vegas was a shambles, so much passing through customers gonzo

I’ve been listening to a lot of old ‘Desert Island Discs’ Podcasts. There was one with Nigel Owens who has quite an interesting life. His song choices are horrific though.

Rennie might not be Australia bound after all.

Castle will go, she should have gone a long time ago. Some talk of Phil Kearns as a replacement but looks like RA is boracic. https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/wallabies/australian-rugby-news-raelene-castle-dave-rennie-phil-kearns/news-story/184954f74e62fab4cfb19188ce85621e

3 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Rennie might not be Australia bound after all.

Imagine the cranial detachments from certain posters in here if he ended up staying at Glasgow. Even more so if he took over from Townsend as Scotland coach as someone in the comments suggested.

4 hours ago, Allan Jacobsen said:

Imagine the cranial detachments from certain posters in here if he ended up staying at Glasgow. Even more so if he took over from Townsend as Scotland coach as someone in the comments suggested.

This could snooker the move. As much as I'd like him to stay at Glasgow, he's still off. His wife is missing family back home.

1 hour ago, gogsy said:

SRU wage cuts to players and 75% of other staff to be furloughed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52269053

If I am reading that article correctly there are 157 players getting paid £50000 a year. :unsure2:

I read it as there are 157 contracted players, and only those earning above 50,000 would be taking a pay cut. 

More worrying the mention players earning more than £200k, how many of those do you think we have?

I'd imagine a few players in the Glasgow squad will be on bigger contracts. Especially those who've recently signed new deals, like Price, Horne jr etc then you'd imagine Huw Jones, Callum Gibbins and Oli Kebble all coming in on a decent wedge. 

Mata is apparently on £350k and I'm sure Hickey is their next highest paid on £300k. Hogg was on the latter at Glasgow by all accounts.

Mata is apparently on £350k and I'm sure Hickey is their next highest paid on £300k. Hogg was on the latter at Glasgow by all accounts.

Why would Hickey be on that amount?

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

Why would Hickey be on that amount?

He was signed from Bordeaux, where he was playing pretty regularly, to be first choice 10. Edinburgh fans have been naming their all time XVs recently and most have Paterson at 10, even though he played most of his rugby elsewhere so when they were on the rise were probably desperate to finally sign a good one. Hickey had a decent pedigree but would've been well paid at Bordeaux so they obviously thought he was worth pushing the boat out to get. He's not justified that wage but he's been pretty good this season and if van der Walt hadn't improved dramitically last season Hickey would've been given more time to prove himself.

Huw Jones is also on a very large wage, would imagine similar to what Hogg was on.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52262176

Pichot going for the top job at World Rugby, this could see the biggest shake up in the game as he is firmly on the side of the tier 2 nations and growing hte game, rather than bending over to ensure the top nations stay there and keep all the money in the game to themselves

It's 30 years since Randwick came to Melrose and won the 100th Melrose 7s.

I was there, the first time we had gone as a family, although my old man had been a few times when he was younger. It was absolutely brilliant.

https://www.scottishrugby.org/fanzone/campese-lights-up-the-greenyards-30-years-on

On 14/04/2020 at 09:20, honestly united said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52262176

Pichot going for the top job at World Rugby, this could see the biggest shake up in the game as he is firmly on the side of the tier 2 nations and growing hte game, rather than bending over to ensure the top nations stay there and keep all the money in the game to themselves

My take on Pichot is that his focus is on allowing Arg, Oz and NZ to tap into NH TV money with a global competition. It's nothing to do with Tier 2.

International cricket with it's neverending schedule is their model. They want international teams to be full time. 

Edited by Detournement

This Friday’s replay on Scottish Rugby TV is Will Carling et al being sent homeward tae think again. 

Can’t wait tbh

This Friday’s replay on Scottish Rugby TV is Will Carling et al being sent homeward tae think again. 
Can’t wait tbh
Gary Armstrong really was world class, the amount of tackles he put in against England was astounding. Difference against England was Chalmers knocking most of his kicks over, while England missed more than they scored.