Rugby Union

kiwififer

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

Sharks v Stormers on Sky just now, Stormers should have had a red card straight from the kick off for taking out a man in the air, but even with the TMO pretty much imploring him to give a red, the ref settled for yellow.

If it's had been later in the match I think he definitely would have been shown a red card , personally I was expecting a red card .  To me it doesn't really make any difference a red card offence is a red cardboard no matter what stage of the game it is . 

17 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Thank f**k for Super Rugby today

looks like this will be the last round for a while as it looks like everybody entering NZ will have to self isolate for 14 days. 

If it's had been later in the match I think he definitely would have been shown a red card , personally I was expecting a red card .  To me it doesn't really make any difference a red card offence is a red cardboard no matter what stage of the game it is . 
Definite red for me, I know he landed on his back and that was what the ref cited as mitigation for giving a yellow, but that was purely down to luck, it was a very dangerous tackle as the TMO was trying to persuade him.

7 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Sharks v Stormers on Sky just now, Stormers should have had a red card straight from the kick off for taking out a man in the air, but even with the TMO pretty much imploring him to give a red, the ref settled for yellow.

Here is the yellow card challenge for anybody that missed it earlier, I don't see anything except a red for that tbh. He might land back first, but his head whacks off the ground too.

Edited by peasy23

Here is the yellow card challenge for anybody that missed it earlier, I don't see anything except a red for that tbh. He might land back first, but his head whacks off the ground too.

In effect, Geoff Cross was given a retrospective red for something similar. Finn Russell got a retrospective red for far, far less. I didn’t hear the commentary but I guess the ref gave the guy credit for trying to pull out, albeit far too late?

12 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

In effect, Geoff Cross was given a retrospective red for something similar. Finn Russell got a retrospective red for far, far less. I didn’t hear the commentary but I guess the ref gave the guy credit for trying to pull out, albeit far too late?

That was the thing, the ref agreed that the 7 was never in any position to challenge for the ball, but the fact that the 9 landed on his back was enough mitigation in his view to make it only a yellow. Commentators thought he was very lucky to get a yellow.

29 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

The training that South African refs are geting from Craig Joubert are paying off 

55 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Elliot Daly was sent off for something pretty much identical so on that basis, red. However, my initial reaction is yellow.

Would have been red if Garces or Poite had been officiating with the additional comment of "very dangerous" from Poite who thinks that a normal tackle is dangerous.

24 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

The training that South African refs are geting from Craig Joubert are paying off 

Joubert would have ignored it and given a penalty the other way before sprinting off the park claiming that he desperately needed to take a massive shit. Not that I'm implying that the corrupt fucker had tried that excuse before...

Edited by Allan Jacobsen

“Far too late” is basically the point at issue and in slo motion it’s going to look a lot later

This law is a minefield

On 13/03/2020 at 21:25, Snobot said:

U-20s just delivered a severe pumping to the Welsh U-20s. On S4C on iPlayer. Probably the last game of rugby you will see for quite some time and some cracking tries. Seemed to be quite a vocal crowd for behind closed doors right enough.

Highlights up on the SRU's Youtube.  Chamberlain at 10 looks a talent.

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:
6 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:
Highlights up on the SRU's Youtube.  Chamberlain at 10 looks a talent.

Some cracking tries in there.

Indeed.  You only saw him twice but the big lock with the scrum cap reminded me of my playing days looked handy and mobile.

12 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
36 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:
Indeed.  You only saw him twice but the big lock with the scrum cap reminded me of my playing days looked handy and mobile.

I was shocked to see a Scottish hooker throwing the ball straight at a line out tbh.

Don't get me started.  Our line outs vs Ireland and England were the worst I have ever watched in my lifetime.

We scrummed well and improved as the competition went on and I am miffed we didn't get the chance to play Wales as I fancied us.

So "Toonie oot"?  What's your take?

Don't get me started.  Our line outs vs Ireland and England were the worst I have ever watched in my lifetime.
We scrummed well and improved as the competition went on and I am miffed we didn't get the chance to play Wales as I fancied us.
So "Toonie oot"?  What's your take?
It was obviously a much improved performance against France, even before the red card, but the last year or so has been very hit and miss. If we had gone to Cardiff and shat the bed as we often do, then his time was up for me.

We seem to have found a bit of pragmatism lately that has been missing for a while. It's as if they have suddenly realised that you have to defend for big parts of games.