Rugby Union

kiwififer

Serious question :

Why do england fans and supporters wear union jack suits and wave union jack flags when england are playing at any sport ??   They have their own flag, but seem to adopt the union garb as being their own.  Saw some guys wearing the suits before and at the start of the game.

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Appreciate I put pessimistic comments on forum, but I prefer to call them realistic. Just look at the facts. We've never beaten a tier one nation at world cup since 1991. Exception of Oz, (and Italy) away from Scotland we haven't beat tier one since 2010 I think (Croke Park). Ireland players go onto pitch 100% sure they will beat us which is so powerful in modern day rugby. Consistently we are getting swatted aside to easily by physical sides who relish phase play..

As I say we aren't very good..

Not entirely true... we beat Italy at the 2007 World Cup for one. Also beat Argentina in Argentina last year.

I agree with the physicality side. We just get walked over up front so then stick it wide when it’s never on. Felt we were too slow setting the forward drives, it kept on giving Ireland time to set their defence and so we just kept running into a prepared wall.

Ireland just had to defend well/effectively and wait for our mistakes.

We also seem to have a really bad problem of starting matches badly/slowly and letting other teams gain an advantage. Read somewhere that we have conceded the first try in 8 of the past 11 games which makes us chase the game from the start. Even today, when I felt we actually started ok, we’d conceded a try within 5 minutes.

3 hours ago, The Nightfly said:

I have gone for big winning margins for Italy and England. +28 and +70.

Just noticed Italy won by 25.

As you will have seen from my predictions, i know even less about rugby than the little i know about football or horse racing.  Glad i'm not a betting man 😀

I need a couple of correct try scorers to redeem myself.

What were people expecting? Scotland regularly get  well beaten by better teams especially away from home.

They'll toil but get past the other three teams, Japan even maybe by 1-3 pt win and then hammered by the All Blacks in the QFs.

Then a lot of hope/optimism for the Six Nations and then again absolutely destroyed by the likes of Wales and Ireland. Then talk of a talented team gelling for the next WC, few Six Nations and it'll end in tears as it has for the past 15-20 years.

Edited by Kejan

Not entirely true... we beat Italy at the 2007 World Cup for one. Also beat Argentina in Argentina last year.
I agree with the physicality side. We just get walked over up front so then stick it wide when it’s never on. Felt we were too slow setting the forward drives, it kept on giving Ireland time to set their defence and so we just kept running into a prepared wall.

Ireland just had to defend well/effectively and wait for our mistakes.
In fairness that all Ireland and Wales ever have to do against Scotland

What were people expecting? Scotland regularly get  well beaten by better teams especially away from home.
They'll toil but get past the other three teams, Japan even maybe by 1-3 pt win and then hammered by the All Blacks in the QFs.
Then a lot of hope/optimism for the Six Nations and then again absolutely destroyed by the likes of Wales and Ireland. Then talk of a talented team gelling for the next WC, few Six Nations and it'll end in tears as it has for the past 15-20 years.

Agree with all this mate. What frustrates me is how easily Wales and Ireland keep doing this to Scotland, Townsend never learns.
Under Andy Robinson we were very tough but had nothing out in the backs. Id take him back as a Forwards coach and put an experienced Kiwi as head coach. Frustrating thing is we had one with cotter

2 hours ago, hearthammer said:

Serious question :

Why do england fans and supporters wear union jack suits and wave union jack flags when england are playing at any sport ??   They have their own flag, but seem to adopt the union garb as being their own.  Saw some guys wearing the suits before and at the start of the game.

Always have done, always will. It's either ignorance or arrogance. Take your pick. (could be both, of course)

41 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Agree with all this mate. What frustrates me is how easily Wales and Ireland keep doing this to Scotland, Townsend never learns.
Under Andy Robinson we were very tough but had nothing out in the backs. Id take him back as a Forwards coach and put an experienced Kiwi as head coach. Frustrating thing is we had one with cotter

Yes, I think a Kiwi or even Saffer coach is required. Try something new.

There's some decent players there, but Townsend has a hint of Derek McInnes about him - shites it in the big games. Odd selections too for the big games.

Don't know what you thought of Cotter, but I think he did an excellent job and would have kept him on - or did he want to leave himself? Felt he was pushed rather than quit himself.

So, when's the pro14 kicking off then....

That was thoroughly disappointing, we started really well good kicks in behind, then first attacking line out we over complicate things (FFS some players had even touched the ball yet) make a mess of the move, we end up back in our own 22 and Ireland score.

All the tries were our mistakes, Ireland didn't really look a threat with the ball, we just gave them the opportunity to score time and again.

Luckily we have Samoa (by a distance the 3rd best of the islanders, and a shadow of the side of the late nineties) and Russia before we play Japan. I'm hoping for wholesale changes, hopefully guys like fagerson Cummings, Bradbury Ritchie price will inject some pace and go forward ball.

Yes, I think a Kiwi or even Saffer coach is required. Try something new.
There's some decent players there, but Townsend has a hint of Derek McInnes about him - shites it in the big games. Odd selections too for the big games.
Don't know what you thought of Cotter, but I think he did an excellent job and would have kept him on - or did he want to leave himself? Felt he was pushed rather than quit himself.
He was pushed due to GT threatening to leave Scotland so cotters contract wasn't renewed

It doesn't matter how good Ireland are or how they played. We could have won if we turned up and performed. This same group of players got 'joint 2nd' in Cotter's final 6N season then got 3rd in Toony's 1st 6N campaign. 

Therefore it's not ability but something 'deeper'. Turning up to a World Cup and having no steel in defence and offering nothing up front is a disgrace.

I'll go to every Scotland home game and cheer them till I'm hoarse. However something needs fixed. 

It doesn't matter how good Ireland are or how they played. We could have won if we turned up and performed. This same group of players got 'joint 2nd' in Cotter's final 6N season then got 3rd in Toony's 1st 6N campaign. 
Therefore it's not ability but something 'deeper'. Turning up to a World Cup and having no steel in defence and offering nothing up front is a disgrace.
I'll go to every Scotland home game and cheer them till I'm hoarse. However something needs fixed. 
Yes Toony needs to go, get corkerhill in as forwards coach and beg cotter to come back. The players are there

Aussie Reece Hodge has been cited for his challenge in the Fiji match that somehow went unnoticed/unpunished at the time.
Looking at it again it was a f**k up by the TMO/touch judge as they had a better view than the ref to spot it.