kiwififer

Rugby Union

Townsend's press conference will be interesting.  Notwithstanding we have been Tom Kite, Barnes has given Ireland so many advantages through his errant and pro-Ireland decisions from the first whistle.  
That's what I think bugs me - we could try to do the "streetwise" game like Ireland and Wales but you have this nagging feeling that if we did it we would get penalised. It is like refs have accepted that certain teams play a certain way and for evermore it will be.

But before we even consider that we need to get the basics right - if you don't have the ball because you are kicking it or having handling errors then you are up against it from the start. We need to keep it simple for the rest of the group games - keep possession, stop throwing it about aimlessly, grind out the points.

But you just know we won't do that.

That is an abject humiliation and serious questions have to be asked about Townsend remaining in the job.

Big changes needed for the Samoa game, starting with Gilchrist being sent home.

Aye we can't blame the ref for that despite some shocking decisions.

I thought that including Barclay and Taylor was a massive mistake and it proved to be. We need to play a dynamic game and including guys who are a shadow of their former selves is madness. In the future we need to get forwards in who can make a physical impact like Skinner, both Fagersons, Kebble and Bradbury.

What an utterly depressing display this has been. Dire stuff.
Exactly this. Yes, you can have a few niggles about some of the decisions by Barnes, but we were shite at everything. Handling errors, missed tackles, poor kicking. They just showed a stat that Stander carried for 45 metres, be lucky if all our forwards combined managed that. Can hardly remember a decent line break from us all day.

The Japan match could come down to who survives their next 2 games with the least injuries. Watson will be a huge loss for Scotland.

Just now, peasy23 said:

Exactly this. Yes, you can have a few niggles about some of the decisions by Barnes, but we were shite at everything. Handling errors, missed tackles, poor kicking. They just showed a stat that Stander carried for 45 metres, be lucky if all our forwards combined managed that. Can hardly remember a decent line break from us all day.

The Japan match could come down to who survives their next 2 games with the least injuries. Watson will be a huge loss for Scotland.

He did have a big line break that contributed at least 20 of that, but I do agree with the general point.

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

Aye we can't blame the ref for that despite some shocking decisions.

I thought that including Barclay and Taylor was a massive mistake and it proved to be. We need to play a dynamic game and including guys who are a shadow of their former selves is madness. In the future we need to get forwards in who can make a physical impact like Skinner, both Fagersons, Kebble and Bradbury.

I'm guessing Bradbury will be in the squad tomorrow with Watson going home, but agree with the rest, though I actually thought Taylor was ok, but Hutchison and Jones are just so much more threatening.

To be fair actually, nobody really showed up today, it was collectively bad.

I'd be tempted to go with a Bradbury, Ritchie and Thomson back row. With Wilson on the bench. 

Not taking Jones or Hutchinson looks crazy now. We need a third threat at 13.

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

I'd be tempted to go with a Bradbury, Ritchie and Thomson back row. With Wilson on the bench. 

Not taking Jones or Hutchinson looks crazy now. We need a third threat at 13.

Agree with that. I'd have Cummings in for Gilchrist at Second row as well, and I'd probably pick Graham over Seymour right now too.

I think I'd consider Price over Laidlaw right now too.

It was like the 15 players had never played with each other before - so much was done in just ones and twos - they looked utterly clueless for the bulk of that game.

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It was like the 15 players had never played with each other before - so much was done in just ones and twos - they looked utterly clueless for the bulk of that game.

It was hard to see exactly what the plan was, other than to repeatedly kick the ball back to Ireland.

We've bounced back from results like this before, and we always know Wales and Ireland are shit games for us, but today was worrying. If we can come back and play well against Samoa things might look a bit brighter.

Aye we won't play another game like that unless we get to the final (lol).

I don't the kicking was that bad. You basically don't have any other option if you don't get over the gain line. The fact that we are back to square one after three years of preparation is disappointing.

It was hard to see exactly what the plan was, other than to repeatedly kick the ball back to Ireland.
We've bounced back from results like this before, and we always know Wales and Ireland are shit games for us, but today was worrying. If we can come back and play well against Samoa things might look a bit brighter.
One thing for certain, and it's not something we didn't already know before today, we can't just rumble through the phases like Ireland did. If we can't throw the ball around and get the back 3 into space, we are pretty much fucked. Samoa will be a big physical test, hopefully the conditions are more favourable, but first up we need to stop kicking possession away.