Rugby Union

kiwififer

Going down to Leeds tomorrow for the Leeds v Saints game biggrin.gif ! It should be a great game as both teams are on form and hopefully Saints will win!

State Of Origin Game Three on Wednesday and I expect Queensland to win again to win the series 3 - 0 as they're just far to good for NSW.

It's been mentioned that Royce Simmons may be the Saints coach next year. He was the ussie's assistant coach last year and his track record loooks impressive so it looks like he'd be a good appointment although I'd love it if we got a young British coach in instead of another aussie.

Edited by airdrieman

Thom Evans has been forced to retire from the game following a serious spinal injury that he sustained playing for Scotland in the 6 nations.

Only found out about this today. It's very sad news, but when you consider the guy was centimetres away from death or lifleong paralysis, then it's happy news that he can at least walk and run, just not play professional sport.

Wonder if he'll go back into pop music?

Only found out about this today. It's very sad news, but when you consider the guy was centimetres away from death or lifleong paralysis, then it's happy news that he can at least walk and run, just not play professional sport.

Wonder if he'll go back into pop music?

It is gutting for the guy and for Scotland. One of the best talents both Glasgow and Scotland had going forward. sad.gif

He is lucky I guess to have full movement and risking that for rugby is silly. I wish him all the best- he was a fantastic player. I reckon Lee Byrne will feel bad too, wasn't the worst tackle- just shows how hard a sport rugby can be. I collected money once at a game for a charity to support and work into serious rugby injuries and it is obvious given the amount we got how much rugby fans realise, just how serious it can get.

Going to be a struggle at Glasgow- no Parks and no Thom.....

I had a great time at Leeds even though Saints lost but it was only by one try and it was a great game and you didn't know who was going to win until the very end. There was a fantastic atmosphere as well and a fantastic crowd 17,000. Before the game we got into the Sky Sports van and I got to meet and get everyones autograph, Stevo, Eddie Hemmings, Phil Clarke, Brian Carney and Bill Arthurbiggrin.gif ! I also saw Dave Hadfield the author/journalist so what an amazing day biggrin.gif ! We went to the museum as well at the Geore Hotel in Huddersfield which was excellent and really intresting. It's well worth a visit for any rugby league fan.

Anyone follow Scottish Rugby League? I observe there is a (rare) home international match this autumn, v Wales in the 2010 European Cup. The winner of this will qualify as the 4th entrant in the 2011 Four Nations. The tie is on 9th October (no SPL/SFL games due to Euro 2012 qualifiers) - is it Old Anniesland again?

EDIT: That said, the chances of us actually qualifying to join England + Australia + NZ in the 2011 Four Nations are quite low. The 2010 European Cup involves 4 countries (France, Scotland, Wales, Ireland) of whom France is by far the best... played in inaugural 2009 Four Nations; beat us in 2008 RL World Cup*; have the Catalan side in the SuperLeague; etc.

However it's made doubly unfair because France are getting to play all 3 of their European Cup matches at home; while the 3 Celtic sides play the matches among themselves 1 home 1 away each. So a big disadvantage.

*although tbf they then lost to Fiji, and we narrowly beat Fiji, finishing above them in the final group table!!

Edited by HibeeJibee

Yet another win for the maroons last night in the state of origin :) The first clean-sweep in quite a while too. Good to see NSW actually but up more of a challenge and some fight in them to make it quite an interesting match, never knew what way it was going to turn. Lockyers drop goal from the middle of nowhere just shows what a class player he is! Can NSW stop them making it 6 straight next season?

Anyone follow Scottish Rugby League? I observe there is a (rare) home international match this autumn, v Wales in the 2010 European Cup. The winner of this will qualify as the 4th entrant in the 2011 Four Nations. The tie is on 9th October (no SPL/SFL games due to Euro 2012 qualifiers) - is it Old Anniesland again?

EDIT: That said, the chances of us actually qualifying to join England + Australia + NZ in the 2011 Four Nations are quite low. The 2010 European Cup involves 4 countries (France, Scotland, Wales, Ireland) of whom France is by far the best... played in inaugural 2009 Four Nations; beat us in 2008 RL World Cup*; have the Catalan side in the SuperLeague; etc.

However it's made doubly unfair because France are getting to play all 3 of their European Cup matches at home; while the 3 Celtic sides play the matches among themselves 1 home 1 away each. So a big disadvantage.

*although tbf they then lost to Fiji, and we narrowly beat Fiji, finishing above them in the final group table!!

Yes I follow Scotland Rugby League. Yeah it probably will be at Old Anniesland again. Yes it will be hard to qualify for the Four Nations as like you said France are the best team in it and Wales are good too but Scotland aren't bad and you never know! I couldn't imagine Scotland playing the Aussies, the English and the kiwis! We'd be on the end of three thumpings but still it would be fantastic seeing Scotland play the very best of the best and the best players in the world!

Edited by airdrieman

Yet another win for the maroons last night in the state of origin smile.gif The first clean-sweep in quite a while too. Good to see NSW actually but up more of a challenge and some fight in them to make it quite an interesting match, never knew what way it was going to turn. Lockyers drop goal from the middle of nowhere just shows what a class player he is! Can NSW stop them making it 6 straight next season?

Yeah it was good NSW looked more up for it but Queensland are still better in every department. That drop goal was sheer class! Lockyer is the best player of this generation.

I see Melbourne are going to play Widdop at stand - off now and not Full Back. This happened with Lockyer so hopefully Widdop will turn out to be just as good.wink.gif

Anyone else watching the tri-nations match at Eden Park between New Zealand and South Africa? With 23 minutes gone, the All Blacks lead 10-3 and the quality of rugby has been simply outstanding. It's only when you watch one of these games that you realise just how huge the gulf is betwen the tri-nations and the Six Nations. This game is being played at a blistering pace; the Springboks are defending manfully with 14 men and the All Blacks are playing with pace and variety. Superb stuff.

Anyone else watching the tri-nations match at Eden Park between New Zealand and South Africa? With 23 minutes gone, the All Blacks lead 10-3 and the quality of rugby has been simply outstanding. It's only when you watch one of these games that you realise just how huge the gulf is betwen the tri-nations and the Six Nations. This game is being played at a blistering pace; the Springboks are defending manfully with 14 men and the All Blacks are playing with pace and variety. Superb stuff.

I'm watching it later on, so it's the last time I look at this thread. Rugby down here is a different world away from 3 men and a dog in the drizzle game back home.

I'm watching it later on, so it's the last time I look at this thread. Rugby down here is a different world away from 3 men and a dog in the drizzle game back home.

It doesn't look like anyone else is interested anyway. I won't mention the score again! This is proper rugby.

Not many times the Bok's take a tanking. Did you see the headbutt from Botha?

Bakkies has always been a bit like that, shocking headbutt though. I think this is NZ's tri-series to lose, they have the best team firing at the right time.

Over here the NRL along with News Ltd have discovered we have breached the salary cap by more than the $1.1mill they thought but instead $3.17mill. Gallop is apparently trying hard to make it impossible for us to re-sign any of our players :( The sooner News Ltd sell their share in Melbourne and Gallop leaves the NRL the better. Also looks like Hoffman will be going with Lima and Finch to the English super league next season possibly with Wigan.

Bakkies has always been a bit like that, shocking headbutt though. I think this is NZ's tri-series to lose, they have the best team firing at the right time.

Over here the NRL along with News Ltd have discovered we have breached the salary cap by more than the $1.1mill they thought but instead $3.17mill. Gallop is apparently trying hard to make it impossible for us to re-sign any of our players :( The sooner News Ltd sell their share in Melbourne and Gallop leaves the NRL the better. Also looks like Hoffman will be going with Lima and Finch to the English super league next season possibly with Wigan.

:rolleyes: Yeah because they are the people to blame for Melbourne's failure to comply with the rules. Not those in charge at Melbourne who have completely fucked your club.

:rolleyes: Yeah because they are the people to blame for Melbourne's failure to comply with the rules. Not those in charge at Melbourne who have completely fucked your club.

Got to love the people up in NSW blinkered view of this :lol: News Ltd put these guys in charge so they are to blame.

News Ltd own us and own 50% of the NRL, and they are trying to say they knew nothing :rolleyes: Conflict of interest too, and doing nothing at all to help us. I would say that Gallop and co. who dont want us in the NRL have made it clear to News Ltd to back the NRL stance. Funny also when some of the guys who were on our board back then are now at other clubs such as the Sydney Roosters and the NRL say they will not investigate the Roosters, strange that dont you think :rolleyes: NRL know fine that most of the other clubs have been salary cap cheating, Waldron told them years ago but nothing was done to any of the NSW or QLD clubs so instead they investigate us, they would rather turn a blind eye up north. I bet the paper shredders were in full force at all the clubs up north when we got found out :rolleyes:

there's a wee rumour going round that yer team's going to boycott the rest of the season blue, starting at the warriors at the weekend.....

Yeah there were rumours floating around but the team flies out to Auckland at 4pm today.

Got to love the people up in NSW blinkered view of this :lol: News Ltd put these guys in charge so they are to blame.

News Ltd own us and own 50% of the NRL, and they are trying to say they knew nothing :rolleyes: Conflict of interest too, and doing nothing at all to help us. I would say that Gallop and co. who dont want us in the NRL have made it clear to News Ltd to back the NRL stance. Funny also when some of the guys who were on our board back then are now at other clubs such as the Sydney Roosters and the NRL say they will not investigate the Roosters, strange that dont you think :rolleyes: NRL know fine that most of the other clubs have been salary cap cheating, Waldron told them years ago but nothing was done to any of the NSW or QLD clubs so instead they investigate us, they would rather turn a blind eye up north. I bet the paper shredders were in full force at all the clubs up north when we got found out :rolleyes:

You've ruined a decent counter argument with an over-use of smilies thus rendering it mute.

AB's beat the Bok's again last night 31-17.

Watched some of that this morning. The All blacks looked awesome in parts

Why have NZ and SA played 2 games but Ausralia nil? I may be totally ignorant in asking this btw :unsure: