Rugby Union

kiwififer

NSW is supposed to be mad for Union, but no one at my work gives a shit about it. They are more interested in League.

That's because League's better.

Well that's the first two rounds of Super league nearly over and there's been some crcking games so far! Crusaders have won and gave a good account of themselves against Leeds ( the champs). Speaking of Leeds they got beat by Castleford who the previous time they went to Headingley conceded more than 70 points! Turn around or what? Also Warrington, Hull, Wigan and Huddersfield have looked impressive which makes me believe

this will be the most open Super League in ages because of course even though Saints and Bradford both lost in the first week I still epect them to be strong.

COME ON YOU SAINTS!

Well like I said this looks like it's turning into the most open Super League in years! That's Leeds lost again to Wakefield (!) and Harlequins beat a good Catalans team and, what a game Saints played today biggrin.gif . 38 - 6 against Bradford and Wellens scored four! Good to see wee Eastmond score as well. Hopefully he'll step up and take Sean Long's place which I'm sure he will as he was impressive last season and has had a good start this year. Although obviously it will take a long time before he becomes a Saints legend like Sean Long is!

I seen in the paper today linking Gareth Thomas the former British Lions captain (and who came out and said he was gay) with a switch to Rugby League. The club he's held talks with are the Crusaders who finished bottom of Super League last year and are looking to improve. He's thirty - five which probably means he's quite close to retirement so can anyone say wether his legs are away or can he still get up and down because, Rugby League is a faster game so he will need pace if he wants to be a success.

Well that's Terry Newton busted after failing a drug test (he took steriods) and, hopefully more will follow and get busted. There's no excuses for drug taking and hopefully this will mean that the tests are more often and thorough than ever before. We need to get the cheats out of our game regardless how much it costs.

It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy in Terry Newton as well.

Thankfully though it's been another great week in terms of action on the pitch in Super League. Bradford put in great performance on Friday and comprehnsively beat Castleford 41 - 22 who are no mugs. This result prvs once again that this years Super League will be more open than ever as Bradford had lost they're first two games pretty soundly while, Castleford had beaten last season's champs Leeds and ran a very good Warrington close.

Speaking of Leeds they managed to get back on track before the World Club Challenge next Sunday with a 22 - 10 win against Salford. Leeds have had a poor start to the season and will need to be at their very best to beat a very good Melbourne Storm side.

Saints got another good result this weekend biggrin.gif ! Beating Catalans 42 - 12! It was good to see wee Johnny Lomax scoring a double. He's came up from the youths and is definitley one for the future. It was also good to see Eastmond score again and score the conversations. Hopefully he can keep this form up. He's going to need to if he's going to be replacement for Long. It's also good to see the team can play well without Cunningham. The invincible team is starting to break up now with only Cunningham, Wellens, Wilkin, Roby and Gardner left from that team so it's good to see that we have kids breaking through and that the invincible team can be replaced.

Huddersfield got a good result against Hull KR beating them 30 - 0. I expect both of them to be in or near the play off places at the end of the season.

Wigan got a grat result against a smashing Warington team beating them 22 - 20 even though they were 16 - 5 down with ten minutes to go! This result now puts them top of the league sad.gif ! I expect both of these teams to be in the top four at the end of the season.

Crusaders won again ohmy.gif ! What made it even more suprising was the fact it was against an inform Hull team. This is exactly what I mean when I say this year will be the most competitive Super League in years if not ever!

I quite like rugby league. Just watched the Super League show on catch up - Bradford looked superb, some great interplay and tries in their game. Castleford have had a decent start as well. Looked a great game between Wigan and Warrington.

Oh and terry Newton didn't take steroids, he took Human Growth Hormone - he is the first athlete in the world to be banned for taking this substance. BBC Link

Nobody seems to care about rugby league, except you.

Prob the ex-pats pay attention.

anyhoo, proper rugby, the chiefs done well, three wins away on the road...

Bluenose5 cares.

Correct airdrieman.

Well I havent been on this in ages but would just like to say Melbourne Storm we are the world champions!! :D I should be receiving my Melbourne Storm membership aswell within the next couple of weeks, cant wait for the season to start.

Edited by Bluenose5

Massive Rugby League & Hull Kingston Rovers fan. Looking forward to "Murrayfield Magic" this year. I went last year and it was excellent. Going with all my Livingston supporting mates seeing as i've got them into the sport aswell, although they claim to support Hull FC and Saint Helens. Can't see anybody apart from Leeds Rhinos winning the Grand Final, although Wigan will run them close at Old Trafford.

Correct airdrieman.

Well I havent been on this in ages but would just like to say Melbourne Storm we are the world champions!! biggrin.gif I should be receiving my Melbourne Storm membership aswell within the next couple of weeks, cant wait for the season to start.

yep well done.

I see SBW's heading home to either the knights or the warriors which will piss the bulldogs off no end.

The rumour is thought that he wants to switch codes to play for the AB's with Counties Manakau favourites for his signiture, probably then going to the blues for super 14's.

yep well done.

I see SBW's heading home to either the knights or the warriors which will piss the bulldogs off no end.

The rumour is thought that he wants to switch codes to play for the AB's with Counties Manakau favourites for his signiture, probably then going to the blues for super 14's.

It wont bother the doggies fans that much as they are a better team than both Newcastle and Warriors last season and more than likely again this coming season so SBW will only be going down in class.

Correct airdrieman.

Well I havent been on this in ages but would just like to say Melbourne Storm we are the world champions!! biggrin.gif I should be receiving my Melbourne Storm membership aswell within the next couple of weeks, cant wait for the season to start.

Aye congradulations to the Melboure Storm. Leeds tried their best and played alright but the Storm were the better team.

Massive Rugby League & Hull Kingston Rovers fan. Looking forward to "Murrayfield Magic" this year. I went last year and it was excellent. Going with all my Livingston supporting mates seeing as i've got them into the sport aswell, although they claim to support Hull FC and Saint Helens. Can't see anybody apart from Leeds Rhinos winning the Grand Final, although Wigan will run them close at Old Trafford.

Aye I can't wait for the magic weekend. It was cracking last year even though Saints got horsed by Wigan mad.gif but it was still a great day. The atmosphere was great and I really like the fact that all sets offans could mingle with each other even Saints and Wigan fans. If something like this was to happen in football then each set of fans would probably have their own areas and the seating would be segregated.

Hopefully your team will lose at the magic weekend wink.gif .

As for the Grand Final winners I'm not sure actually. Super League's been a lot more open recently than in recent years and both Leeds and Wigan, Us (Saints), Huddersfield, Hull, Hull KR, Warrington, Wakefield and Castleford all look pretty strong altough Hull KR, Wakey and Cas probably won't win the Grand Final but will certainly be up there challenging for the playoffs. All the other teams though I could see possibly winning it.

Aye I can't wait for the magic weekend. It was cracking last year even though Saints got horsed by Wigan mad.gif but it was still a great day. The atmosphere was great and I really like the fact that all sets offans could mingle with each other even Saints and Wigan fans. If something like this was to happen in football then each set of fans would probably have their own areas and the seating would be segregated.

Hopefully your team will lose at the magic weekend wink.gif .

As for the Grand Final winners I'm not sure actually. Super League's been a lot more open recently than in recent years and both Leeds and Wigan, Us (Saints), Huddersfield, Hull, Hull KR, Warrington, Wakefield and Castleford all look pretty strong altough Hull KR, Wakey and Cas probably won't win the Grand Final but will certainly be up there challenging for the playoffs. All the other teams though I could see possibly winning it.

After seeing the Wigan result last night I think that this could possibly be their year. However, Leeds will be a lot stronger towards the end of the season and will probably beat Wigan in the final. Not too sure about the Saints this year. I promise not to gloat about the result last weekend. wink.gif

I would settle for a top 8 place this season for the Rovers. There is no way we will improve on our 4th place finish from last season.

But yeah, definetly looking forward to Magic weekend fantastic atmosphere last year, although the Hull KR fans all sat at one end which was good because there was some good banter with the Warry fans. I still reckon we'll beat you at Murrayfield though. wink.gif

Come on you reds!

Edited by LiviCurryCider

After seeing the Wigan result last night I think that this could possibly be their year. However, Leeds will be a lot stronger towards the end of the season and will probably beat Wigan in the final. Not too sure about the Saints this year. I promise not to gloat about the result last weekend. wink.gif

I would settle for a top 8 place this season for the Rovers. There is no way we will improve on our 4th place finish from last season.

But yeah, definetly looking forward to Magic weekend fantastic atmosphere last year, although the Hull KR fans all sat at one end which was good because there was some good banter with the Warry fans. I still reckon we'll beat you at Murrayfield though. wink.gif

Come on you reds!

Yeah that could happen but Leeds lost again this weekend!

Thanks for not gloating . From what I've seen on tv and read it sounded like it was a close game which is what you want. Games to be close. It makes it better league as the last couple of years Saints, Leeds and Bradford were gaurenteed to win practically every game but now Bradford have been crap the last few seasons. They look as if they'll do bette this year but they'll be inconsistent. Leeds have lost three of their last six games

and they don't look to great (although like you said could/should improve as the season progresses and,as for us (Saints) well I'm not sure.We'll definitley get the playoffs but wether we can win or not I'm not sure. A ot of the young guys are coming through and a lot of the older heads are leaving/retireing like the legend Keiron Cunningham so, even if we don't win it this year hopefully we can win it in a few years when the young guys have gained a lot more experiance.

Aye the magic weekend will be fantastic. It was last year and you're right the atmosphere was fantastic last year. I don't think you will tongue.gif .

MON THE SAINTS!

It wont bother the doggies fans that much as they are a better team than both Newcastle and Warriors last season and more than likely again this coming season so SBW will only be going down in class.

Tana Umaga has signed for Counties Manakau from Toulouse. I will give it one week after the French season finishes before SBW signs.

He will be in a blues shirt for next seasons super 14's.

Yeah that could happen but Leeds lost again this weekend!

Thanks for not gloating . From what I've seen on tv and read it sounded like it was a close game which is what you want. Games to be close. It makes it better league as the last couple of years Saints, Leeds and Bradford were gaurenteed to win practically every game but now Bradford have been crap the last few seasons. They look as if they'll do bette this year but they'll be inconsistent. Leeds have lost three of their last six games

and they don't look to great (although like you said could/should improve as the season progresses and,as for us (Saints) well I'm not sure.We'll definitley get the playoffs but wether we can win or not I'm not sure. A ot of the young guys are coming through and a lot of the older heads are leaving/retireing like the legend Keiron Cunningham so, even if we don't win it this year hopefully we can win it in a few years when the young guys have gained a lot more experiance.

Aye the magic weekend will be fantastic. It was last year and you're right the atmosphere was fantastic last year. I don't think you will tongue.gif .

MON THE SAINTS!

I think that Saints miss Sean Long, who went to Hull FC and scored 2 tries against us in pre-season. He's having a good season at the football ground too. I think Kyle Eastmond is a good player for the future although I haven't seen him this season. Overall, I'm predicting a Leeds V Wigan grand final. Hull KR won't make the play-offs this season, 9th place probably.