Rugby Union

kiwififer

Well today was a kick in the balls. Utter rubbish from Scotland proving our attack isn't good enough against a decent but not spectacular Pumas side. One of the worst games I've seen in many, many years, dull and scrappy and you could see which way it was heading after an hour- dire stuff.

Godman was poor today in the kicking stakes and was getting some abuse from the stands for his poor play in the last 20 mins, that is his problem too inconsistent. The lineout and scrum weren't great at all either.

We should have put them to bed in the first half however as the pumas were mince and never really out of their half, their penalty chances were all about 40m out! Crawled all over them and Rory Lamont got white line fever and got greedy- had he passed it through hands by one more man out wide we'd have been over for the score, instead he tried to go for it himself 5m out and got tackled move broke down. You could say great defence but in reality it was silly play like that just frustrated the fans. You can't pass up chances. Similarly Godman went for a really tricky penalty kick on his wrong side just outside the 22 near the farside touch line when he really should have gone for the corner and taken the lineout and tried to push them over for the try.

We kept giving away silly penalties, decision making was questionable and ultimately we paid the price today. Bit depressing and much work to do.

Well today was a kick in the balls. Utter rubbish from Scotland proving our attack isn't good enough against a decent but not spectacular Pumas side. One of the worst games I've seen in many, many years, dull and scrappy and you could see which way it was heading after an hour- dire stuff.

Godman was poor today in the kicking stakes and was getting some abuse from the stands for his poor play in the last 20 mins, that is his problem too inconsistent. The lineout and scrum weren't great at all either.

We should have put them to bed in the first half however as the pumas were mince and never really out of their half, their penalty chances were all about 40m out! Crawled all over them and Rory Lamont got white line fever and got greedy- had he passed it through hands by one more man out wide we'd have been over for the score, instead he tried to go for it himself 5m out and got tackled move broke down. You could say great defence but in reality it was silly play like that just frustrated the fans. You can't pass up chances. Similarly Godman went for a really tricky penalty kick on his wrong side just outside the 22 near the farside touch line when he really should have gone for the corner and taken the lineout and tried to push them over for the try.

We kept giving away silly penalties, decision making was questionable and ultimately we paid the price today. Bit depressing and much work to do.

He did the same against Australia. Godman's an average standoff at best and he kicking is so inconsistent (a la Dan Parks). I guess it doesn't help that everyone compares him to Paterson so the pressure is definitely on him, but it's clear we don't have anyone to replace Paterson when he retires.

We had absolutely no spatial awareness yesterday, both in attack and defence - how many times did we lose position by kicking into no man's land with no-one chasing the ball down? You could see it in the mauls too, where the scrum-half (Lawson especially) was having to take an eternity to decide who to make the pass to. There was one point in the second half where Argentina had the scrum in our 22, and I pointed out to the girlfriend that the Pumas had two players on the overlap on the wing and our nearest defence was standing by the far post. Sure enough the ball came out of the scrum and our player had to run full tilt to take the boy out into touch.

I'm afraid the only word I can use is pathetic. And once again Hines got a needless yellow card.

I honestly could've seen a better display down the Beveridge Park.

Didn't see the game yesterday but wasn't surprised at the result. We are still very ordinary, despite the fluke result against the Aussies (brilliant organisation and defence acknowledged).

With the lack of quality we have in an attacking sense, it seems to me we must ALWAYS start with Chris Paterson somewhere in the team so that we can maximise points from penalties (we ain't gonna get many from tries), whether that is stand off, wing or full back.

Predictions for the six nations: a typical Frank Hadden campaign, winning 1 game (either England or Italy) and er...that's it. :(

Didn't see the game yesterday but wasn't surprised at the result. We are still very ordinary, despite the fluke result against the Aussies (brilliant organisation and defence acknowledged).

With the lack of quality we have in an attacking sense, it seems to me we must ALWAYS start with Chris Paterson somewhere in the team so that we can maximise points from penalties (we ain't gonna get many from tries), whether that is stand off, wing or full back.

Predictions for the six nations: a typical Frank Hadden campaign, winning 1 game (either England or Italy) and er...that's it. :(

I have a bit more confidence that we will do fine in the 6 nations rather than the struggle to do anything. Our general play is alright, it just lacks a certain something which hopefully Robinson can address. We'll not win it by a long way, but with some improvements I think we have a good chance of 4th place this time. We do have decent enough players, but they need to all turn up we can't have passengers.

I'm not sure about Paterson, where do you slot him in etc. We need to go the blood capsule route and bring him on to kick! Godman does have a hard act to follow and needs to improve his kicking. Kicking has never looked natural to Dan Parks, even though he takes them at Glasgow. If it is miles out, however he has the distance over a lot of kickers.

Hines yellow card was predictable. Someone behind us was talking about the player getting called over and said it must be Hines, he always gets carded. Right on.

Decision making is the key and needs to improve. Argentina were loving slowing the ball and we couldn't put it through hands as well as a result. Still work to do, after that.

Mind you work to do could be an SRU slogan. Still no ticket sales on matchday for half empty games FFS.

Very disappointing indeed, especially after such possession in the first half.

However, two v0ctories and one defeat would've been welcome before the start of the test series so I suppose we can't complain. The team are still a work in progress but there's a lot to work with I reckon. Might be a better-than-recent-years campaign in the Six Nations but realistically I think Robinson is looking more towards the next World Cup, which is fair enough.

As frustrating as the game was on Saturday I'm still pretty optmistic about things.

• 3 weeks later...
Who's watching Glasgow v Edinburgh? Parks is mince.

Really- Paterson was worse and got hooked with 10/15 to go? His decision making wasn't the best on a couple of occasions when the passed out to the wrong side and a couple of poor kicks in play but he was brilliant with the boot at penalties (couple of tricky ones some thought he was best not going for) and scored all bar 5 of Glasgow's points. Became highest league points scorer too. If that is on a mince day, I'd like to see him on some good days. Might be a 6 month farewell but a good start to one!

Glasgow deserved the win (Richie Vernon was excellent) and record attendance of just under 9000.

Edited by flyingscot

Really- Paterson was worse and got hooked with 10/15 to go? His decision making wasn't the best on a couple of occasions when the passed out to the wrong side and a couple of poor kicks in play but he was brilliant with the boot at penalties (couple of tricky ones some thought he was best not going for) and scored all bar 5 of Glasgow's points. Became highest league points scorer too. If that is on a mince day, I'd like to see him on some good days. Might be a 6 month farewell but a good start to one!

Glasgow deserved the win (Richie Vernon was excellent) and record attendance of just under 9000.

I said that at half-time, when his passing had been really poor in the first half and he didn't look comfortable dropping back to full back... he really was excellent in the second half though, superb tactical kicking.

And in this game, f**k me that was a brilliant kick from Parks again there, cracking try.

• 1 month later...

Seriously - how truly woeful are Italy? That has to be one of the most boring approaches to a half of rugby I've watched in a long time.

Tempting fate I know but I can't see anything other than the wooden spoon for them this time round if this is anything to go by.

Super 14s just started, didn't they (34-20) kiwififer? smile.gif

Indeed they have, but 3 years in Hamilton's made me a Mooloo. The blues just don't seem to catch the imagination. Decent crowd up on the North Shore last night, 20k

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-14/3323637/Hurricanes-discipline-the-key-factor-in-win

Still 8/10 for the effort tongue.gif