Rugby Union

kiwififer

Just watched Wellington lose their 473rd (approx) sporting final in the last 5 years, 7-6 loss in pissing rain vs their nemesis Canterbury in the air NZ cup final- the sporting teams from the area really do choke pretty badly, especially when they come up against a team playing in the Cantabrian red and black. Weepu missed a (fairly tough) penalty with 15 minutes to go and with 5 to go when they were trying to set up a drop goal one of the forwards knocked it on after dropping an easy catch <_<

On the plus side, Glasgow beat reigning Magners league champs Leinster 15-12.

The league world cup starts today, unfortunately it's so lopsided and is in effect a play-off between England and NZ to see who gets beat by Oz in the final.I suppose the other teams are only going to get better by playing the best though.

The league world cup starts today, unfortunately it's so lopsided and is in effect a play-off between England and NZ to see who gets beat by Oz in the final.I suppose the other teams are only going to get better by playing the best though.

England were given a good game in the opener by Papa New Guinea, with the Northern Hemisphere champs running out 32-22 winners. PNG were winning at half time though.

Scotland play France tomorrow morning.

Good BBC blog on the RLWC

Edited by ICTChris

Is a shame you weren't over here when Andrew Johns was playing because he was arguably the greatest ever rugby league player. In all honesty there isnt too much atmosphere at sports games here compared to Europe.

Big Wendell, Gasnier and Benji are all good players but Slater, C.Smith, Ingles and Cronk are all better ;):P

Yeah went to a game at the ANZ and there was only about 11,000 people there, not great!

Can see your Melbourne colours coming out there!!! They aren't portrayed in the media too well in Sydney, the CEO and coach especially. But from what I had seen they had been the best team all year, didn't think they would fall apart as much as they did from missing Smith from the Grand Final.

Some classic French names on display for les bleus today- Wilson, Murphy, Taylor...

:lol:

After the game they interviewed the Scotland captain Brough and he had a broad English accent and then they interviewed the French captain who had a real French name was Jerome something or other and he started talking and had a broad aussie accent :lol: Then the man of the match from France Wynne with the aussie accent :lol:

Yeah went to a game at the ANZ and there was only about 11,000 people there, not great!

Can see your Melbourne colours coming out there!!! They aren't portrayed in the media too well in Sydney, the CEO and coach especially. But from what I had seen they had been the best team all year, didn't think they would fall apart as much as they did from missing Smith from the Grand Final.

You will find nothing to do with Melbourne is portrayed well in the media in Sydney and by people in Sydney.

They hate us up there because they dont like to see a Melbourne team dominate 'their' sport.

Where is the plastic kiwi :lol: what happened to your lot last night? :lol: 30-6 stroll in the park

Edited by Bluenose5

aye, very good, the plastic Kiwi's still here. As I said, it's west island's to chuck away, in this one, they really are the world's number 1 by a country mile. Just look at the England score, for a moment, I thought they were playing cricket...

Scotland against the AB's in the winter test is the one I have my eye on, I hope we put in a good performance, it would take a few Kiwi's down a few pegs.

52-4 thumping of England :D Easy easy easy easy! And even Englands try was iffy, didnt ground it properly.

Was good to see the Melbourne Storm contingent pulling thru with Inglis and Slater both getting 3 tries each.

Will be good to see Scotland beat the AB's in the winter test but just cant see it happening.

Edited by Bluenose5

from what I was reading, Scotland are going to field a 'second' side as Haddon thinks the SA game is more winnable. The NZ RFU are seriously thinking of pulling out of these tests, as they are also fed up of northern hemisphere nations sending second field sides down here - France and England being the chief culprits...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/7706292.stm

Scotland: Paterson (Edinburgh); Evans (Glasgow Warriors), Cairns (Edinburgh), De Luca (Edinburgh), S Lamont (Northampton); Godman (Edinburgh), Blair (Edinburgh, capt); Jacobsen (Edinburgh), Ford (Edinburgh), E Murray (Northampton), Hines (Perpignan), Hamilton (Edinburgh), White (Sale), Taylor (Stade Francais), Barclay (Glasgow Warriors)

I would say that is close to a full strength Scotland apart from the obvious candidate - Godman. I would say NZ are fielding a 2XV with the likes of MacKintosh, Messam and Read. Rokocoko just had to get back from injury for this game <_<

I would say NZ are fielding a 2XV with the likes of MacKintosh, Messam and Read. Rokocoko just had to get back from injury for this game <_<

NZ's using the tests to blood the next lot coming through.

Can't see us upsetting the ABs. Although our back row is pretty good and very experienced,even without McCaw and So'oialo theirs is probably still better. The back division's pretty good as well unfortunately, possibly a better pair of wingers than started vs Oz last week.

I can see us scoring one try, but I can see them scoring 3 or 4...

Scotland 13-31 NZ.

Can't see us upsetting the ABs. Although our back row is pretty good and very experienced,even without McCaw and So'oialo theirs is probably still better. The back division's pretty good as well unfortunately, possibly a better pair of wingers than started vs Oz last week.

Scotland 13-31 NZ.

I think you are forgetting quite how brutal Scotland are. I'd say Scotland will be luck to keep the deficit to less than thirty points. Hope I'm wrong though.

Bloody hell, they won! And Ireland shocked Samoa!

Unfortunately for Scotland it wasnt enough to get them through but a quality punch-up between Henderson and the Fijian, Bring Back The Biff! :D

As for the test match between Scotland and the AB's I cant help but think it is going to be a cricket score in the kiwis favour, hope im wrong.

Edited by Bluenose5

Scotland 13-31 NZ.

I would bite your hand off for that score right now. :(