Rugby Union

kiwififer

1 hour ago, GAD said:

Jamie Dobie starting on the wing? Is this something that's been happening that I've missed?

20230324_115056.jpg

He hasnt before as far as I can remember, we must have some injury list to have to be playing him there. Did we not sign an Argentinian winger a few weeks back? Is tagive still inured / a thing?

Luke Pearce showed common sense at White Hart Lane today.

Very, similar collision between Care and van Zyl, to that of Steward and Keenan.  Penalty only, which was about right (Although I might have issued a yellow).

Decent game after that.  Sarries looking formidable, unfortunately!

Watched the Glasgow game today not knowing the score as I was at the Scotland game yesterday. An enjoyable watch. Love to beat Munster, but to BP / nil them at H/T was something else.

A home quarter is well in hand now, we just need one more win. 

McDowall is a very good captain, he seems to know how to speak to referees without pissing them off. Amazing the strength in depth at centre now.

And one final point, Craig Casey is an annoying little rodent.

Hoggy retiring feels like the end of an era. Definitely in the conversation as one of Scotland's greatest players of the professional era. It felt like this was coming tbf. He seems injured a lot, he's lost a bit of pace, and Kinghorn is starting to look like living up to his potential. Still, a big player to lose and I think his importance to the team will become more evident after he's gone.

8 minutes ago, GAD said:

Hoggy retiring feels like the end of an era. Definitely in the conversation as one of Scotland's greatest players of the professional era. It felt like this was coming tbf. He seems injured a lot, he's lost a bit of pace, and Kinghorn is starting to look like living up to his potential. Still, a big player to lose and I think his importance to the team will become more evident after he's gone.

He’s been a shadow of himself for a while.  Lot of ego making an announcement now… Townsend now has to pick him or the public will totally turn against him. 

Edit: thought he might have one last Lions tour in him, but I’m also pretty sure folk predicted this a while back in this very thread. 

Edited by Savage Henry

I think his performances are underrated a bit in all honesty. His kicking from hand and his defensive abilities were pretty important to Scotland, even if the searing line breaks weren't as common as they once were. That boot of his in particular where he could hammer the ball back 70 meters was a great weapon at times.

To be honest, I don't think he's been fully fit for a while either, in fact he kind of suggests that in his statement. You have to remember that despite only being 30, he's been playing top level rugby for a long time. It's going to take it's toll. He was a guy that was pretty cynically targeted at times as well.

Bit surprised at him retiring completely tbh, certainly thought the world cup might have been the end of his Scotland career, but expected him to play for a while yet. Maybe at 30 he feels he's had enough injuries to be going on with.

He'll have done ok financially, he was supposedly on about 750k a year at Exeter.

He probably feels done with the amount of rugby hes played the last few years and the amount of injuries (on top of the abuse about his teeth / hair) as probably realises he's not playing to the standard he once was. He could have probably done with a good 6-9 month break after the world cup to rest and recuperate rather than retiring, however sounds like he may have something lined up already

6 minutes ago, honestly united said:

He probably feels done with the amount of rugby hes played the last few years and the amount of injuries (on top of the abuse about his teeth / hair) as probably realises he's not playing to the standard he once was. He could have probably done with a good 6-9 month break after the world cup to rest and recuperate rather than retiring, however sounds like he may have something lined up already

Media.  He’s a cert for the talking head job on Amazon Prime Sports.