Rugby Union

kiwififer

6 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I know it went badly at times with Turner on as well and there were plenty of other issues today, but you surely can't keep picking a hooker as bad at lineouts as Brown. Ashman has to be ahead of him if only on the basis that he doesn't guarantee butchering set-pieces, and even Matthews can take a lineout properly.

Yeah no idea why Brown is considered a suitable hooker at this stage. Absolute momentum killer with his poor throwing, and a penalty machine to boot. 

5 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

People here are pretty miserable. We're playing in the first ever six nations to have the top 2 teams in the world, we outplayed France in Paris and were outplayed at home today.

2021 is the one that got away, but this team would have won the 2021 Championship.

Agree with the second part of your post, but disagree on the first. I think other than the odd decision  Townsend has been spot on this year, the players have shown a lack of personality in two very winnable games the last two. Funnily enough, had Townsend not fannied around in 2021 and we had that winning experience under our belt I think we'd have won at least one of those games

1 minute ago, Leggy Blonde said:

For such a massive man he can’t tackle to save himself. 

It will be really interesting to see what happens when Darcy Graham is fit. As good as Duhan is in attack, there's an argument to be made for lesser attackers but significantly better defenders in Graham and Steyn on the wings

4 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I know it went badly at times with Turner on as well and there were plenty of other issues today, but you surely can't keep picking a hooker as bad at lineouts as Brown. Ashman has to be ahead of him if only on the basis that he doesn't guarantee butchering set-pieces, and even Matthews can take a lineout properly.

I can see Ashman being on the bench next week. I’d have had him in the 23 before today but don’t think Townsend trusts his scrummaging.

We were noticeably poorer when the starting props went off.

56 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

If Scotland or Glasgow are getting beat you can guarantee that the referee will be the main man to blame on this thread, regardless of whatever Scotland are doing, or what mistakes they're making. 

Problem is the huge disparity in how each individual referees. Some really debatable calls going in favour of Ireland that I've seen given against Scotland in this tournament, its that level of dubiety that really boils the blood.

9 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I still don't understand why we play so flat and 1/2 out against their blitz defence, especially off slower ball. Coming from depth at greater speed makes it harder for the defender to just come flying up, and is more likely to create doglegs/gaps.

When the defence is as efficient as Ireland's, surely even having a carrying pod either side of Finn is going to ask more questions, and force the defenders to make decisions rather than just fly up and smash.

Big improvements needed before we play them again in the autumn

Yep - we just not change to counter the blitz defence.

6 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

It will be really interesting to see what happens when Darcy Graham is fit. As good as Duhan is in attack, there's an argument to be made for lesser attackers but significantly better defenders in Graham and Steyn on the wings

I thought Steyn was excellent today. Definitely seems a much more complete player and a hell of a lot more reliable in defence. 

That was our chance to step forward from "on their day Scotland can beat anyone" to "Scotland are one of the top teams in world Rugby" and we failed miserably.

As said above, for all the wonderful tries and wins, no triple crowns, no six nations, and no grand slams let alone world cup semi finals or finals. A dismal return for having some of the world's top players.

En route from the game. We went toe to toe with them in the 1st half and didn't give them a winning bonus point so our defence was fairly solid.

The negatives is that our line out especially early in the game sucked. A bit ill disciplined at the breakdown too though the ref seemed to admire Ireland there. 

As we're not as physical we tried our running game which wasn't accurate enough apart from Huw Jones's try. After the world cup we need to freshen up the coaching as, for all the leaps forward we're taking, there's still no Plan B.

28 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

As an aside, hopefully Ringrose and Doris are ok.

Ringrose's one looked horrible, and Doris seems to have horrendous luck against us

And that was a low tackle,  like the rfu are trying to encourage 

12 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Horrendous  match thread by usual suspects continually blaming the ref. 

Give it a rest guys, the ref was fair and we got beat by a superior team. We are quite a bit behind these guys, nothing to do with the ref.

No-one is saying that.

Even those who had issues with the consistency of the refereeing have said the best team won.

1 minute ago, GAD said:

Dissapointing result, but I really didn't think we were terrible, we got beaten by the best team in the world and we gave them enough of a fright to think we are on the right track. 

First half yes. Not sure they will be too worried about us come the WC. They will 100% believe they will beat us, not sure we can say that about them.

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:

No-one is saying that.

Even those who had issues with the consistency of the refereeing have said the best team won.

The whole first half was anti ref. Big Duhan should have walked with penalty try, he didn't. I counted at least two occasions when we were off our feet in rucks and one from the side. No pens given to Ireland.  

9 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

The whole first half was anti ref. Big Duhan should have walked with penalty try, he didn't. I counted at least two occasions when we were off our feet in rucks and one from the side. No pens given to Ireland.  

Both @Mark Connolly and I said he was lucky to get away with just a try with that no arms tackle.

I think if it hadn't been grounded it would have been given as penalty try and the yellow card as well.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh