Rugby Union

kiwififer

What's pleasing is we went toe to toe with them all game long. Attack was on point. Townsend wasn't happy with aspects of the performance. Discipline and defence in the 1st half was the concern for me. However we still produced a huge team effort to win at a tough away venue which is the main thing.

I noticed that England played with an aggressive attack close to our defence line. That shows Steve Borthwick's tactics as being far less conservative than Eddie Jones.

It'll be hopeless if we don't back this up next weekend. Wales's issues are deeper than just their national team. However they looked like an ageing team with poor organisation. AWJ looks finished imo. We have to be merciless next weekend.

That last penalty is hilarious when you watch it back. The ref standing there, watching it, desperately hoping it wasn't a penalty for what felt like ages as about three Scotland players are screaming at him to the point Horne is actually slapping the player over the ball on the back. He really, really did not want to give it.

I actually didn't think we played brilliantly in all honesty. Defence was a bit ropey, missed a lot of first tackles and England were making easy meters too often, but Duhan, Steyn, Jones and Sione were such a threat throughout. 

Scotland will need to defend better though against the good teams. I think Russell was getting a bit of stick, but I actually thought the English were so focused on him that it opened up gaps and he found them. He's a very brave player, he doesn't give a f**k if he gets smashed as long as he gets the ball away. Wasn't the usual bag of tricks but I think he was instrumental in the win, far more than he'll be given credit for.

4 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Delighted to see Marcus Smith get left looking every bit the wee w**k he is on that winning try btw

Can I surprise you and say that I quite like Marcus Smith? Albeit, and I know this could be a controversial statement, I have a soft spot for Quins.

33 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

If there was a forward pass in the buildup to our last try, it was no more forward than the one in the buildup to their second.

I think there may have been two forward passes. I think that Finn's may have been slightly forward albeit it could reasonably be argued that it was flat. Matt Fagerson's, however, appeared to be uproariously forward. Glorious.

The English were also gurning about Turner blocking Farrell when Duhan scored his wonder try. Also glorious.

Nevertheless, excellent game. Jones and Tuipulotu are a truly lovely pairing.

Edited by Allan Jacobsen

Think as has been said good win, but still a good but not great performance from Scotland.

I would say im glad we got England first as I think given a few weeks they will click. Once they are fully up to speed they will ne a force.

Im hoping we can get the better of Wales next week to give us a platform before France and Ireland which are the real 2 test.

edit to add - Also thought it made a difference yesterday that our bench made an impact when they came on, Dempseys pass to no one aside

Edited by honestly united

10 hours ago, GAD said:

That last penalty is hilarious when you watch it back. The ref standing there, watching it, desperately hoping it wasn't a penalty for what felt like ages as about three Scotland players are screaming at him to the point Horne is actually slapping the player over the ball on the back. He really, really did not want to give it.

It was almost comic, the three Scotland players detaching themselves from the game to point out the bloody obvious to a very reluctant referee.

The itv commentary was pretty hard to listen to throughout the match too.

7 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

Good win.....but let’s see what haplens when we play a decent international team.

Or indeed a terrible one.  I know Townsend’s record against England is exemplary, but I’d guess his record against Wales is not far off shambolic.

12 hours ago, Snobot said:

I see Rees Zammit is probably out which is good as he is the one Wales player who has caused us big problems and basically won the game for them a couple of years back. 

Brace is the ref - could be worse (hi Karl Dickson) and at least he knows the players.

Wales will try to turn it into a shitfest and milk scrum penalties off up and under knock ons. I didn’t see much from them as an attacking unit today so expect peak All Black levels of performance from them on Saturday. That and Dan Biggar diving / waving imaginary cards.

Breakdown will be crucial as well - Wales seem to get away with so much illegal nonsense.

55 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

It was almost comic, the three Scotland players detaching themselves from the game to point out the bloody obvious to a very reluctant referee.

The itv commentary was pretty hard to listen to throughout the match too.

Yeah, it was such a clear penalty. Ritchie did brilliantly to stay over the ball legally for so long as well. You get the impression if he'd fallen at any point the ref would have given it the other way, not to mention the fact he was at risk of serious injury the whole time, another big failing from the ref.

12 hours ago, GAD said:

Looks like he was waiting on Ritchie going onto the ball and not the body, tbf the ref was consitent in that aspect all match as you can hear him say it to various players

15 hours ago, Snobot said:

I see Rees Zammit is probably out which is good as he is the one Wales player who has caused us big problems and basically won the game for them a couple of years back. 

Brace is the ref - could be worse (hi Karl Dickson) and at least he knows the players.

Wales will try to turn it into a shitfest and milk scrum penalties off up and under knock ons. I didn’t see much from them as an attacking unit today so expect peak All Black levels of performance from them on Saturday. That and Dan Biggar diving / waving imaginary cards.

Actually thought Dickson had a good game in the Welsh Ireland game yesterday considering Biggar, Williams and Sextons antics albeit you definitely feel more relaxed about the reffing when it’s not your team playing.

I’m just pleased it’s not Matt Carley who seems to have a pathological hatred of Scottish rugby.

What was most pleasing about yesterday for me (aside from watching it in an English pub) was the fact we really didn’t have to be at our best to match England. Gone are the days when you needed every player to have a 10/10 performance and a stroke of luck to come out on top.

I also think Finn’s performance took a bit of unwarranted stick. England trying to smash him every time he got the ball created so much space for others.

27 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Question from a 6 Nations/World Cup glory hunter: is there any realistic chance of them just doing away with scrums? Slow the game down to a farcical extent at times, put in is beyond ridiculous now and penalties are almost random a lot of the time. Don't seem to bring anything to the game. 

Yeah, scrums are a real problem, especially when it comes to attracting the more casual fans. It's supposed to be a way of restarting the game for minor mistakes that opens up a bit of space, but at the moment they take ages, there are endless resets, and often used just for penalty milking. I don't know what they'll end up doing about them, but there needs to be a bit of a change. I'd make it a free kick instead of a penalty, especially for scrums in the middle of the pitch as it would make it pointless to milk the penalty.