Rugby Union

kiwififer

1 hour ago, honestly united said:

At be

I dont think he would be any higher up the pecking order with us rather than Ireland, at best he would be 3rd or 4th choice, maybe even lower down the pecking order. It’s not a position we are struggling for options for, he would maybe get 1 or 2 years at best out of him. I get Dempsey as it’s a position we are short of options, and he still has plenty of years left, I would be suprised if we entertained Conney.

So would I, but the wording of his interview the other day makes it seem like this is more than hypothetical. 

On the basis it would wind up the right sort of people (Ireland fans, raging Ulster fan subset thereof) I am all for it.

The down side is it lets Townsend pick Kinghorn at 10 safe in the knowledge that Cooney can kick, but surely he can’t go down that road as his first choice 15 after this Autumn and Finn’s form.

Reading between the lines it is up to him and the SRU have already said to him he plays if he chooses us.

15 minutes ago, Snobot said:

On the basis it would wind up the right sort of people (Ireland fans, raging Ulster fan subset thereof) I am all for it.

The down side is it lets Townsend pick Kinghorn at 10 safe in the knowledge that Cooney can kick, but surely he can’t go down that road as his first choice 15 after this Autumn and Finn’s form.

Reading between the lines it is up to him and the SRU have already said to him he plays if he chooses us.

I think the biggest problem from Cooney's point of view is that I'm sure he'd probably lose his Ulster contract if he declared for us as he'd no longer be Irish qualified. Might be wrong on that, but I think they are only allowed a very small amount of foreign players, and I'm sure he'll be one of their best paid. The kind of wages he may struggle to get elsewhere.

I wouldn't have him ahead of Price or White, debatable ahead of Horne and Steele, and Glasgow and Edinburgh both have good prospects in Dobie and Shiel, with Vellacott also at Edinburgh.

Price and Steele are both 29 and the oldest of that group - Cooney is 3 years older than them.

71aabc7c37dba19fe04346c44ca26c90.gif

Edinburgh such masters of their own downfall here. Straight before half time they overthrow a lineout that would have finished the half and Munster score, then can't exit properly from the second half kick off and lose another to go from 17-7 up with a minute to go till half time, to 21-17 down a minute into the second half. Compounded of course by the fact they can't kick a conversion.

Glasgow's turn to be awful now, must be easy double figure penalties against now, as they perform the Scottish rugby special move of compounding each error by making too more straight after it. Luckily Zebre are pretty pish, but it's not difficult right now to see Glasgow losing this, possibly quite heavily.

3 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

That’s Gatland back in the Wales hot seat after Pivac resigns. Not great, I was hoping to try and milk a few more wins from them before they realised he was useless.

Another three years of Gatlandball.  Serves them right for being Welsh.  

1 hour ago, StillAnAccie said:

Yeah, 3 Six nations title, 2 world cup semi finals and number 1 ranked team in the World under Gatland. Must be sh1te supporting Gatlands Wales right enough. 

Gatland was probably the best coach Wales have ever had, but I sometimes once it's over, it's over. Wales haven't got the players they had during the real top period under Gatland, he was a disaster at the chiefs, where they basically put him on gardening leave. They'll be delighted he got the Wales job. I also think he fucked up the Lions tour quite badly in all honesty.

Still, Gatland and Wales seem to go together well, so will see how it goes. I think they probably had to do something, and I'm actually a wee bit jealous that Wales and England seem to be taking action where we are just going to wait till a WC pumping before changing anything.

31 minutes ago, GAD said:

I think Jones would suit us more than he does England. He'd have way more control over the players, I think we'd be good under him.

His troll game is A+.   Worth it just for the tears and snotters from Dublin.

33 minutes ago, GAD said:

Gatland was probably the best coach Wales have ever had, but I sometimes once it's over, it's over. Wales haven't got the players they had during the real top period under Gatland, he was a disaster at the chiefs, where they basically put him on gardening leave. They'll be delighted he got the Wales job. I also think he fucked up the Lions tour quite badly in all honesty.

Still, Gatland and Wales seem to go together well, so will see how it goes. I think they probably had to do something, and I'm actually a wee bit jealous that Wales and England seem to be taking action where we are just going to wait till a WC pumping before changing anything.

His rugby is absolutely turgid.  Effective, but turgid.