Rugby Union

kiwififer

Mark Bennett surely has the 13 shirt locked in for the AIs.
Price Russell VDM Redpath Bennett Graham Hogg.

Russell is apparently being omitted from the squad. He's unavailable for the Australia game anyway and his partner is due a baby fairly soon so it may all be completely innocent.

15 hours ago, jaggyness said:
On 15/10/2022 at 18:30, Detournement said:
Mark Bennett surely has the 13 shirt locked in for the AIs.
Price Russell VDM Redpath Bennett Graham Hogg.

Russell is apparently being omitted from the squad. He's unavailable for the Australia game anyway and his partner is due a baby fairly soon so it may all be completely innocent.

I suspect you are right.  

Dempsie has been included, which will also raise the ire of some.  Otherwise there’s a whole bunch of Scottish based players who’ll only really be considered for starts for the Australia game.  

It wouldn't surprise me if he's trying to get Russell to quit as Finn has made clear publicly multiple times that he's unwilling to take any shit off Townsend. 

Richie Gray in the squad is horrible to see.  He's been very poor this season, it would be a disaster playing him in a Test match. Stafford McDowall ahead of Hutchinson and Lang is also inexplicable based on club form. 

A revised backline. 

We were so hyped up for the last World Cup. I think expectations will be a lot lower next summer. 

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It wouldn't surprise me if he's trying to get Russell to quit as Finn has made clear publicly multiple times that he's unwilling to take any shit off Townsend. 

Richie Gray in the squad is horrible to see.  He's been very poor this season, it would be a disaster playing him in a Test match. Stafford McDowall ahead of Hutchinson and Lang is also inexplicable based on club form. 

A revised backline. 

We were so hyped up for the last World Cup. I think expectations will be a lot lower next summer. 

I was assuming Hutchinson was injured, but I think it’s fair to say Townsend isn’t a fan.  He really hasn’t had a fair go.  I’m also assuming Townsend won’t see past the World Cup in the job.  

I loved Townsend the player.  The coach, not so much…

Edited by Savage Henry

The International window stuff makes it more complicated but as usual some wild choices. Hutchinson finally gets a call up on the back of a superb season, gets two games out of position and is out the squad next chance Toony gets for Sione and Stafford. Bradbury going very well down at Bristol, let's get Nick Haining in there! I see that Russell has to "find form" to be included, which makes perfect sense when 0 starts Thompson is included as a 10 instead. 

I've already pretty much written off anything other than humiliation for next year but it's insane to me that there are still people happy with Townsend. By the time of the World Cup he'll have spent 6 years, with a superb group of players, chasing his own tail for the output of a couple of away wins in empty stadiums and (almost certainly) consecutive group stage exits.

I'll get pelters for this from the type of folk who used to talk about "HOW MANY SCOTLAND PLAYERS WOULD GET IN A LIONS SQUAD?!?!?!" before it turned out the answer was absolutely loads, but I genuinely think if we had a better head coach we'd have won a 6 Nations in 20 or 21 and be aiming for a semi at the WC 

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

It's hard to see him stepping down as it would be admitting he fucked up and he's too arrogant for that. There's no other obvious candidates for the job so it would be easy enough for the SRU to keep him on. 

On the plus side the pack looks strong and Hastings at 10 isn't the end of the world. 

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It's hard to see him stepping down as it would be admitting he fucked up and he's too arrogant for that. There's no other obvious candidates for the job so it would be easy enough for the SRU to keep him on. 

On the plus side the pack looks strong and Hastings at 10 isn't the end of the world. 

aye, he's going nowhere till the WC, and it feels like everyone knows we are marking time until then. Tbh, I wouldn't want him chucked at this point anyway as doubt anyone could come in and do better with this little notice. 

I am glad Hastings is back, though expect Kinghorn to start. And other than guys who look like they're just to fill the squad for the Australia game the pack does look very good. 

It's always been obvious that Townsend never picks the strongest squad but has a CV in mind then fleshes out the squad with bag holders. 

It's not the sign of a confident coach. The debacle with George Horne making the bench then not getting on against Argentina really should have been the end of him.

Edited by Detournement

41 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

The International window stuff makes it more complicated but as usual some wild choices. Hutchinson finally gets a call up on the back of a superb season, gets two games out of position and is out the squad next chance Toony gets for Sione and Stafford. Bradbury going very well down at Bristol, let's get Nick Haining in there! I see that Russell has to "find form" to be included, which makes perfect sense when 0 starts Thompson is included as a 10 instead. 

I've already pretty much written off anything other than humiliation for next year but it's insane to me that there are still people happy with Townsend. By the time of the World Cup he'll have spent 6 years, with a superb group of players, chasing his own tail for the output of a couple of away wins in empty stadiums and (almost certainly) consecutive group stage exits.

I'll get pelters for this from the type of folk who used to talk about "HOW MANY SCOTLAND PLAYERS WOULD GET IN A LIONS SQUAD?!?!?!" before it turned out the answer was absolutely loads, but I genuinely think if we had a better head coach we'd have won a 6 Nations in 20 or 21 and be aiming for a semi at the WC 

Spot on. This latest round of the Toonie/Finn soap opera is just so fucking disappointing. I know why Thompson is in there, because we need another 10 for the Australia game, but to talk such shite about Finn while putting Thompson in anyway is brutal.

The world cup is gearing up to be an epic humiliation, with Tonga being a dark horse with the Kiwi players back. If you were to ask me who is more important to our chances in France, Finn or Townsend, I'd say Finn, as would 90% of fans I reckon. As would the SRU if they were being honest.