Rugby Union

kiwififer

31 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I thought top 8 in pro 14 qualified for champions cup. Glasgow really messed that up....

The 4 shield winners got spots then the highest sides that did not win their shield so Ospreys who were 9th overall got the 8th spot.

I think I'll go down for the Bath game. My sister lives in Bristol, which is just up the road, and it's a ground I've always fancied going to. The timing is a bit shit though, Dec or Jan. September would have been lovely...

41 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
1 hour ago, ajwffc said:
Damien Hoyland, Ben Muncaster, Matt Currie, Jamie Hodgson and Johnny Matthews. Have all been sent home before the Argentina games

3 Tests to come, almost certainly a few injuries, why bother sending folk home?

I know the plan was for 6 at first to fly back before the 1st test. So the players could go on holiday. But they should have been kept an extra week or 2  

No real issues with this team.  However Rory Hutchinson will be an interesting experiment to see what our options are like for the future.  Hogg won't be around forever more and Maitland is already finished for Scotland imo.  KInghorn isn't an international calibre player imo so Hutchinson being able to play at 15 with Huw Jones allows those 2 players to play 15 and centre which helps with depth.  

I'd have started Tuipulotu at centre.  He's quality with Glasgow but I'm unsure if he's Scotland level (like Grigg) but Bennett is too injury prone and hasn't had any momentum in the last few years.  I'm surprised he's not had to retire.

No choice but to play Kinghorn at 10.  Again not international standard imo but Russell is injured and Thompson is still learning his trade.  Having said that, he looked more settled vs Chile than he has under Danny Wilson at Glasgow.

Argentina have been on a woeful run and we have a good record against them but they're at home and in transition with Michael Cheika as their new head coach.  I've always called them the southern hemisphere's version of Italy but they're better. 

I think we need to win the series or else there'll be no real momentum heading into the World Cup then we really need to wonder if Townsend is making us better or if change is needed heading into the autumn.  Therefore, the coaching staff really need to deliver...

20 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Disagree on Tuipolotu. Flat track bully in attack, turnstile in defence.

Johnson is better than him in every way, and Bennett was absolutely outstanding for Edinburgh this season. Maybe not 2015 standard yet, but he is getting there.

Tuipolotu seems more and more a guy the SRU lads heard was Scots qualified, thought "we would like our own Pacific islander centre" and then watched a compilation of him flattening students in Japan. Think he has potential to improve and if he does he'd be a useful option but nowhere near it now. 

Delighted Bennett seems to be properly back now. IF he's really over those injury problems he's a terrific alternative option to Harris. 

3 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Tuipolotu seems more and more a guy the SRU lads heard was Scots qualified, thought "we would like our own Pacific islander centre" and then watched a compilation of him flattening students in Japan. Think he has potential to improve and if he does he'd be a useful option but nowhere near it now. 

Delighted Bennett seems to be properly back now. IF he's really over those injury problems he's a terrific alternative option to Harris. 

I think Tuipolotu is ok, a bit better than he gets credit for, but he's just Nick Grigg MK2 really isn't he? He'll do the same job as Grigg did for Glasgow on Scotland, but I don't see him as a realistic 40-50 cap prospect for Scotland at all.