Rugby Union

kiwififer

On 19/06/2022 at 11:26, GAD said:

The Glasgow prices are really off-putting these days to casual fans. I remember going to Glasgow v Leicester a few years ago in the champions cup with a bunch of mates who I usually go to the football with. Watching Finn, Hogg, Sarto, Bennet, Strauss, etc take 40 points off them with some champagne rugby, for less than £20 meant these guys were up for going whenever they good, and we were taking in about 7 odd games a season. But the prices went up and up, the quality went down, and none of us went to a single game last season.

Friday night, exciting attacking rugby, for a reasonable price was what got folk along to Scotstoun in the first place, but they are losing all that.

That's what struck me seeing the current pricings. I last lived in Glasgow as a student 2011-15 and would go along at least 3 or 4 times a year with a few pals, for I think about the same price that you mention there. And aye, this was watching a team which you felt would inevitably end up winning something big at some stage, had a cast of trully top players and played fantastic rugby. The Friday night element of it was a big pull factor as well. Couldn't believe how much they're charging for a far inferior product now. 

49 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

That's what struck me seeing the current pricings. I last lived in Glasgow as a student 2011-15 and would go along at least 3 or 4 times a year with a few pals, for I think about the same price that you mention there. And aye, this was watching a team which you felt would inevitably end up winning something big at some stage, had a cast of trully top players and played fantastic rugby. The Friday night element of it was a big pull factor as well. Couldn't believe how much they're charging for a far inferior product now. 

Yeah, couldn't agree more. To be honest, I doubt many of those guys I went with then could really name many of the squad now, such has been the drain of talent and the influx of shite. Huw Jones would have least have been a name, but rumours are he's not coming now!

Quite excited to watch this tour, albeit never getting a tour and regular games against the big boys down south is one of the things that's held us back from kicking on in the last 7/8 years imo. Obviously a lot of guys rested/unavailable, and the usual handful of strange exclusions, particularly in the backs, where I hope we get to see Currie, Bennett and Hutchinson offering a more attacking edge. Equally in the backrow there a lot of very promising guys who will hopefully get minutes. Bit strange that Fagerson is playing the A game but I guess his and a few other inclusions are a sign of the caution which has been the hallmark of most of Townsend's thinking post-2019 6 Nations; not wanting to run the slightest risk of an upset even for the A team. 

On the back row, been thinking recently about how our relatively recent explosion of good options there makes the captaincy discussion more difficult. No guarantee Hogg is stepping down but I think for most Ritchie is the natural choice. Is he or should he be guaranteed a place now, though? He'd probably be my starting 6 in the majority of games but I don't think he'd ever really start at 7 with Watson and Darge available for me, and going forward if we start to adapt our back row to the opposition there are times when you'd maybe prefer Skinner as an extra lock, Dempsey/Bradbury/Fagerson(maybe even Muncaster in the near future?), or Darge to get our best jackal on the pitch. Christie and Crosbie could force their way in at some point in the future too. 

On the flip side, I can't think of anyone who should, imo, be guaranteed a start who would be a good choice. Zander def not, J. Gray or Cummings maybe at a push, Watson no. In the backs there's a lot more but none I'd really want as a captain, except again maybe Price. Hard circle to square at the moment 

41 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Quite excited to watch this tour, albeit never getting a tour and regular games against the big boys down south is one of the things that's held us back from kicking on in the last 7/8 years imo. Obviously a lot of guys rested/unavailable, and the usual handful of strange exclusions, particularly in the backs, where I hope we get to see Currie, Bennett and Hutchinson offering a more attacking edge. Equally in the backrow there a lot of very promising guys who will hopefully get minutes. Bit strange that Fagerson is playing the A game but I guess his and a few other inclusions are a sign of the caution which has been the hallmark of most of Townsend's thinking post-2019 6 Nations; not wanting to run the slightest risk of an upset even for the A team. 

On the back row, been thinking recently about how our relatively recent explosion of good options there makes the captaincy discussion more difficult. No guarantee Hogg is stepping down but I think for most Ritchie is the natural choice. Is he or should he be guaranteed a place now, though? He'd probably be my starting 6 in the majority of games but I don't think he'd ever really start at 7 with Watson and Darge available for me, and going forward if we start to adapt our back row to the opposition there are times when you'd maybe prefer Skinner as an extra lock, Dempsey/Bradbury/Fagerson(maybe even Muncaster in the near future?), or Darge to get our best jackal on the pitch. Christie and Crosbie could force their way in at some point in the future too. 

On the flip side, I can't think of anyone who should, imo, be guaranteed a start who would be a good choice. Zander def not, J. Gray or Cummings maybe at a push, Watson no. In the backs there's a lot more but none I'd really want as a captain, except again maybe Price. Hard circle to square at the moment 

I think Fagerson and Cummings are only playing the A game to gte some game time - both have been out injured for a while and didnt get any club game time before the end of the season so probably more about getting them match sharp for later in the tour.

On the captaincy I think your right that apart from Ritchie no one really stands out. Potentially Cummings or Gilchrist are options. I would rather Hogg wasnt captain as you are better having someone in and around the action that can quickly have a word with the ref, rather than having to run 50m's each time he has to have a chat.

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Ritchie should be captain.

Hopefully Muncaster and Currie go well. I can see them being big players for us soon. 

We do seem to have a good crop of youngsters coming through.

Skills wise and physically we do seem to have caught up with most other countries. The problem we still have though is that we are not creating winners which is why we are not getting the results at International level. Most other countries have a system where you have leagues and winners and losers and although development is important there is also an emphasis on winning games which helps develop a winning mentality.

In scotland you still have players spending all their time with the institute of sport, or if they are lucky getting some game time in the Super 6. Until we start developing players that have that will to win we are always going to struggle.

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

That was better from Thompson. Smith has started well.

We should be looking at 60+ points here.

Yeah, as soon as I wrote that Thompson did really well to move that attack around twice and good try in the end.... And there's Horne scored as well!

I take it this is a Glasgow/Edinburgh select because it's outside the test window, but who does Javan play for these days?

5 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Not sure there is much to be learned here.

Bigger game for Chile I suppose. Tbh, I think there should be more games like this, should be more games between T1 and lower tier teams, and not just bringing them to the UK in the autumn for an easy hit out before playing the SH big dogs.

I saw that Portugal actually gave Italy a really good game today, but just couldn't defend a rolling maul, because it's just not something they get enough exposure to.

3 minutes ago, GAD said:

Bigger game for Chile I suppose. Tbh, I think there should be more games like this, should be more games between T1 and lower tier teams, and not just bringing them to the UK in the autumn for an easy hit out before playing the SH big dogs.

I saw that Portugal actually gave Italy a really good game today, but just couldn't defend a rolling maul, because it's just not something they get enough exposure to.

I'm all for it. I'd also like to see a T2 world cup or a shield tournament at the RWC. We might win it