Rugby Union

kiwififer

13 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Hard to argue with much of this, but I'm still going to :whistle

Cusiter at 9 for me. If I've got that backline, I want the ball in Finn's hands as fast as possible, and he's the man for that. Caveat is that if it's pishing it down, I want Blair instead.

Paterson was a great rugby player, and an outstanding goalkicker, but Maitland is simply the best winger I have seen play for Scotland. He is an absolutely outstanding defender, and such a genuine threat in attack that it creates space for guys like Hogg and Jones inside. I'd probably have Tommy Seymour in a 15 ahead of Paterson for very similar reasons, but Paterson would be on my bench for his versatility at 10 and across the back 3. Finn's goalkicking is reliable enough, and we're scoring tries with that team anyway.

Scott Murray was also an excellent player, but I'd have Hines and Jonny Gray ahead of him. The workrate and impact at the breakdown would be necessary to provide the quick ball that backline needs, and as good as lineout forward as he was, the options with Gray and Hines, alongside Taylor and Barclay who were vastly underrated jumpers, could easily balance out not having him as a target.

Jamie Ritchie would probably sneak onto my bench.

You're the Head Coach though, and I back you to the hilt. Unless we lose, in which case, I'll be leaking stories that your continued consultancy role at Hibs has caused you to lose the trust of players and staff.

ETA: Having seen JLD's post and checked the dates, I had thought Tom Smith had retired from international rugby after the 2003 RWC, but he actually went on until 2005. Sorry Chunk, you're on the bench now too, this is no contest.

All good comments! I was always gonna forget one and that one was Tom Smith, he goes in and Chunk to the bench. V v good point re Blair v Cusiter, I might just keep him in there as while CC's delivery was quicker I don't think Blair was slow himself.

Also yeah, head ruling heart Maitland has to go in with Paterson dropping to the bench. On his kicking it's important to remember as well that during his great runs of consecutive kicks at least he made Parks take a lot of the trickier ones.

I think you're right that Maitland is just the best all round winger of those to pick. It really can't be overstated the obvious upgrade from a series of guys who were "big" (i.e. Walker) "fast" (i.e. Danielli) and "skillful" (i.e. Webster, Max Evans) for just a great player. 

In terms of playing style I think we'd be dominant in the scrum and with JB, the Mish and Dunbar at their peak would win a lot of breakdown penalties. Kicks to the corner where we have 4 excellent lineout jumpers and some time for a few toony special plays, get Dunbar in the lineout! 

When a clean turnover is won we'll get the ball in Finn's hands as quickly as possible and look for lines from Jones and Duhan or Hogg getting to the outside.

A slightly unfashionable 1331 in phase play, with Simon Taylor using his soft hands and skill on the channels to support Duhan, Watson combining with Maitland on the right. Not the strongest carriers in the middle necessarily but should do alright with quick ball, and we'll be looking for Russell and Hogg to knit that together at pace with few one out carries, and capitalise on gaps and half breaks to get the ball quickly to our dangerous players. Everyone breathing out their arse after 60 minutes and Ireland still grind us into the ground 

1 hour ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

All good comments! I was always gonna forget one and that one was Tom Smith, he goes in and Chunk to the bench. V v good point re Blair v Cusiter, I might just keep him in there as while CC's delivery was quicker I don't think Blair was slow himself.

Also yeah, head ruling heart Maitland has to go in with Paterson dropping to the bench. On his kicking it's important to remember as well that during his great runs of consecutive kicks at least he made Parks take a lot of the trickier ones.

I think you're right that Maitland is just the best all round winger of those to pick. It really can't be overstated the obvious upgrade from a series of guys who were "big" (i.e. Walker) "fast" (i.e. Danielli) and "skillful" (i.e. Webster, Max Evans) for just a great player. 

In terms of playing style I think we'd be dominant in the scrum and with JB, the Mish and Dunbar at their peak would win a lot of breakdown penalties. Kicks to the corner where we have 4 excellent lineout jumpers and some time for a few toony special plays, get Dunbar in the lineout! 

When a clean turnover is won we'll get the ball in Finn's hands as quickly as possible and look for lines from Jones and Duhan or Hogg getting to the outside.

A slightly unfashionable 1331 in phase play, with Simon Taylor using his soft hands and skill on the channels to support Duhan, Watson combining with Maitland on the right. Not the strongest carriers in the middle necessarily but should do alright with quick ball, and we'll be looking for Russell and Hogg to knit that together at pace with few one out carries, and capitalise on gaps and half breaks to get the ball quickly to our dangerous players. Everyone breathing out their arse after 60 minutes and Ireland still grind us into the ground 

Italy by 10

Why are Scotland playing 7s again this weekend. Thought that was abolished for a GB team?
That was just a temporary change for the Olympics and a shortend sevens season. The plan was allways for the home nations to return.