Rugby Union

kiwififer

19 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Yeah that was my previous thought which is why I was excited (genuinely thinking Mercer would have been a transformational player for Scotland were he up for it.)

The rule as I've seen it reported seems to be solving a very specific problem re the PI and SANZAR which I guess is fair enough but I don't really see why it couldn't be "anyone you were eligible for at the time that you first/last played for X international team" as this prevents any mercenary potential of someone waiting out residency having already played for another nation.

While not nearly to the same degree NH nations and particularly England will cap players to stop them playing somewhere else (Rodd will be waiting a while for more England caps I'd imagine, for instance, although tbf they never did give Odogwu his single cap so he couldn't play for Italy).

Aye from what I can see this is it. Even generally why grandparents are considered fine for some people while residency isn't does not make any sense to me but that's a different discussion.

Yeah, Mercer would make such a difference to Scotland. He's the kind of player we've been screaming out for. 

Maybe we will get lucky and Will Jordan will fall out with the All Blacks and take a big contract in France...

ETA, I've just seen Jack Dempsey will be eligible for Scotland under this rule next year.

Edited by GAD

34 minutes ago, GAD said:

Yeah, Mercer would make such a difference to Scotland. He's the kind of player we've been screaming out for. 

Maybe we will get lucky and Will Jordan will fall out with the All Blacks and take a big contract in France...

ETA, I've just seen Jack Dempsey will be eligible for Scotland under this rule next year.

Someone has already updated wikipedia to say he’ll be playing for Scotland 🤣

ETA Mercer that is

Edited by Left Back

37 minutes ago, GAD said:

Aye the "big number 8" has become such a big deal in discussions since Cotter's time now but honestly someone with the skill level of Mercer alongside Watson's physicality and Ritchie's dickishness would be better than a Vunipola/Nathan Hughes type. Think the difference between Mercer and Dempsey (other than Mercer just being better imo) is he's only 24. All for the birds now and my now year long occasional day dreams about that back row can go away. Someone hasn't noticed that part of the law anyway!  

image.thumb.png.dd6320b1cbcec9b576c30fc8f6b6db81.png

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

5 hours ago, flyingscot said:

It's not something I particularly like as I didn't think Watson was personal towards the official or abusive in the tweet. Equally, it was done during the match and he wasn't playing. 

If I was a pro, after this decision there is no way I'd be doing coms or pundit work whilst injured either. 

looking at the ruling if he was a pundit or doing coms he would have been fine 

5 hours ago, GAD said:

I don't think so. I haven't read the actual law to be fair, but everything round it suggests you either need to have been born in the country or have a strong family link through parents or grandparents. I'm pretty sure Mercer is out for us.

5 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Yeah that was my previous thought which is why I was excited (genuinely thinking Mercer would have been a transformational player for Scotland were he up for it.)

The rule as I've seen it reported seems to be solving a very specific problem re the PI and SANZAR which I guess is fair enough but I don't really see why it couldn't be "anyone you were eligible for at the time that you first/last played for X international team" as this prevents any mercenary potential of someone waiting out residency having already played for another nation.

While not nearly to the same degree NH nations and particularly England will cap players to stop them playing somewhere else (Rodd will be waiting a while for more England caps I'd imagine, for instance, although tbf they never did give Odogwu his single cap so he couldn't play for Italy).

Aye from what I can see this is it. Even generally why grandparents are considered fine for some people while residency isn't does not make any sense to me but that's a different discussion.

My understanding is that it was to tie in with the Olympic regulations, as there was already the 7's loophole. In that case as Mercer grew up in Scotland, had all his schooling and played u16, then that should be enough to qualify him - the eligibity should be the same as would qualify you in the first place as per the IOC guidelines.

Or maybe not.....

WR_-International-Eligibility-2021-WORKI

Edited by honestly united

14 hours ago, ajwffc said:

looking at the ruling if he was a pundit or doing coms he would have been fine 

Where you seeing that? Indeed the ruling notes that on Twitter it had a 'more limited audience', presumably than traditional media. 

I agree with the comments that the RFU should also have a social media policy, lack of that doesn't help things. 

Where you seeing that? Indeed the ruling notes that on Twitter it had a 'more limited audience', presumably than traditional media. 
I agree with the comments that the RFU should also have a social media policy, lack of that doesn't help things. 
The full ruling is here https://twitter.com/2TempleGardens/status/1463826627968831488?t=M6JOlKVkTnsYZZV-i-5lBw&s=19 one of the pundits had some extra information on twitter. The decision he tweeted about resulted in a 4 week ban for his team mate (Bath fans still think it was wrong)

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/nov/25/exeter-chiefs-to-ditch-native-american-branding-after-consulting-fans

The estimated cost of a full rebranding exercise, incorporating a new badge, playing kit and relaunching the wild west-themed bars and decor at Sandy Park, is in the region of £700,000.

Fucking hell.

13 hours ago, Detournement said:

URC is completely gubbed.

One of the stupidest ideas in sport and inexcusable in a world that needs to move to low carbon. Pro12 please. 

You could shuffle the fixtures now and just have back to back SA v SA games and with the European games and 6 nations there could be no travel to SA until March without impacting the competition.

But agreed though SA would have been better re-vamping the currie cup and making it a full southern africa cup with say 1- teams from SA and a team from Namibia, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Botswana, Uganda, Madagascar etc but then they probably wouldnt have got the same TV money.

Ryan Wilson will captain the Barbarians tomorrow against Samoa

Barbarian F.C. v Samoa – kick-off 1430, live on BBC 1

Head Coach Dave Rennie said: “We’ve had a great week – a good combination of work on the pitch, connection and fun. They guys have come together as a strong group and we’re all focused on tomorrow.

“We’ve got eight different countries represented in our squad and the diversity, different levels of experience and different playing styles have really combined to create an exciting line-up. We plan to get out there and play some champagne rugby against a strong Samoan side and give the fans a great show.” 

Head Coach: Dave Rennie

Assistant Coach: Jonathan Humphreys

Performance Analyst: Craig Whelan

1. Steven Kitshoff (South Africa, DHL Stormers)
  2. Malcolm Marx (South Africa, Kubota Spears)
  3. Shinnosuke Kakinaga (Japan, Tokyo Sungoliath)
  4. Rob Leota (Australia, Melbourne Rebels)
  5. Naohiro Kotaki (Japan, Kobelco Kobe Steelers)
  6. Ryan Wilson (Scotland, Glasgow Warriors) CAPTAIN
  7. Pete Samu (Australia, ACT Brumbies)
  8. Duane Vermeulen (South Africa, Ulster Rugby)
  9. Nic White (Australia, ACT Brumbies)
  10. James O’Connor (Australia, Queensland Reds)
  11. Filipo Daugunu (Australia, Queensland Reds)
  12. Ryoto Nakamura (Japan, Tokyo Sungoliath)
  13. Len Ikitau (Australia, ACT Brumbies)
  14. Marcos Moneta (Argentina, San Andres)
  15. Tom Wright (Australia, ACT Brumbies)
  16. Kosuke Horikoshi (Japan, Tokyo Sungoliath)
  17. Angus Bell (Australia, NSW Waratahs)
  18. Gia Kharaishvili (Georgia, Racing 92)
  19. Rodrigo Fernandez Criado (Belgrano Athletic)
  20. Olly Robinson (Cardiff RFC)
  21. Tate McDermott (Australia, Queensland Reds)
  22. Izaia Perese (Australia, NSW Waratahs)
  23. Rob Kearney (Ireland, former Leinster and Western Force)

9 hours ago, honestly united said:

You could shuffle the fixtures now and just have back to back SA v SA games and with the European games and 6 nations there could be no travel to SA until March without impacting the competition.

But agreed though SA would have been better re-vamping the currie cup and making it a full southern africa cup with say 1- teams from SA and a team from Namibia, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Botswana, Uganda, Madagascar etc but then they probably wouldnt have got the same TV money.

Surely if they are stuck there just play the games? 

Ryan Wilson will captain the Barbarians tomorrow against Samoa
Barbarian F.C. v Samoa – kick-off 1430, live on BBC 1
Head Coach Dave Rennie said: “We’ve had a great week – a good combination of work on the pitch, connection and fun. They guys have come together as a strong group and we’re all focused on tomorrow.
“We’ve got eight different countries represented in our squad and the diversity, different levels of experience and different playing styles have really combined to create an exciting line-up. We plan to get out there and play some champagne rugby against a strong Samoan side and give the fans a great show.” 
Head Coach: Dave Rennie
Assistant Coach: Jonathan Humphreys
Performance Analyst: Craig Whelan
  1. Steven Kitshoff (South Africa, DHL Stormers)
  2. Malcolm Marx (South Africa, Kubota Spears)
  3. Shinnosuke Kakinaga (Japan, Tokyo Sungoliath)
  4. Rob Leota (Australia, Melbourne Rebels)
  5. Naohiro Kotaki (Japan, Kobelco Kobe Steelers)
  6. Ryan Wilson (Scotland, Glasgow Warriors) CAPTAIN
  7. Pete Samu (Australia, ACT Brumbies)
  8. Duane Vermeulen (South Africa, Ulster Rugby)
  9. Nic White (Australia, ACT Brumbies)
  10. James O’Connor (Australia, Queensland Reds)
  11. Filipo Daugunu (Australia, Queensland Reds)
  12. Ryoto Nakamura (Japan, Tokyo Sungoliath)
  13. Len Ikitau (Australia, ACT Brumbies)
  14. Marcos Moneta (Argentina, San Andres)
  15. Tom Wright (Australia, ACT Brumbies)
  16. Kosuke Horikoshi (Japan, Tokyo Sungoliath)
  17. Angus Bell (Australia, NSW Waratahs)
  18. Gia Kharaishvili (Georgia, Racing 92)
  19. Rodrigo Fernandez Criado (Belgrano Athletic)
  20. Olly Robinson (Cardiff RFC)
  21. Tate McDermott (Australia, Queensland Reds)
  22. Izaia Perese (Australia, NSW Waratahs)
  23. Rob Kearney (Ireland, former Leinster and Western Force)

Strange Kearney isn't getting that gig seeing its his last pro rugby game

On paper this Glasgow team should be doing better. 

We made a good start to the season but today we look like the team who couldn't get a winning BP at Zebre. Benneton haven't looked great but we've given them 2 soft tries. 

George Horne's box kicking has been awful but our forward pack's looked good with those 2 tries. 

We're leading at HT but I'm just not inspired with confidence... 

Edited by come on shire

2 minutes ago, come on shire said:

On paper this Glasgow team should be doing better. 

We made a good start to the season but today we look like the team who couldn't get a winning BP at Zebre. Benneton haven't looked great but we've given them 2 soft tries. 

George Horne's box kicking has been awful but our forward pack's looked good with those 2 tries. 

We're leading at HT but I'm just not inspired with confidence... 

Its not been great but at least we are in the lead. Im not sure what the issue is, but as you say Hornes kicking has been poor, and i think some of his passing hasn't been great either