Rugby Union

kiwififer

It's been a pretty underwhelming autumn really. 3/4 wins is decent enough on paper I suppose, but I don't think we've really looked particularly good at any point. I think as well, our performances have looked a good step down from those of Ireland, France and England in particular.

We've scored some nice tries, but the attack has looked disjointed at times. The defence still looks good, but the discipline at times has been horrendous, and we still can't adapt to shit refereeing like yesterday. Set piece has been poor at times as well. Some of the new players who came in had pretty tough times, and a few of the more established players look a bit off form at the moment, particularly Zander, Price, McInally and Ritchie for me, and we've still not really got a decent No 8. Russell and Hogg have been pretty patchy as well to be brutally honest, but I also feel even when not at their best they've managed to drag us through most games anyway.

Will need a big improvement for the 6 nations, that's for sure.

And another thing that might sound a bit stupid, but I 100% think contributed to the "meh" factor of this series was the kick off times. Playing at Murrayfield at 1 pm in the afternoon, or 2pm on the Sunday is a completely different prospect to a 5.30 kick off under the lights with a baying, drunken crowd. It probably shouldn't make much difference, but I really think it does.

And another thing that might sound a bit stupid, but I 100% think contributed to the "meh" factor of this series was the kick off times. Playing at Murrayfield at 1 pm in the afternoon, or 2pm on the Sunday is a completely different prospect to a 5.30 kick off under the lights with a baying, drunken crowd. It probably shouldn't make much difference, but I really think it does.
Scotland always get the short straw on that one

4 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
24 minutes ago, GAD said:

Scotland always get the short straw on that one

We do now anyway with it being on Amazon. They've obviously decided we are the warm up act to the "big games". I won't be the same in the 6 nations though.

Doesn't really bother me when playing Tonga or Japan, but Scotland V Oz, or SA has got to be a Saturday afternoon or evening for me.

2 hours ago, GAD said:

It's been a pretty underwhelming autumn really. 3/4 wins is decent enough on paper I suppose, but I don't think we've really looked particularly good at any point. I think as well, our performances have looked a good step down from those of Ireland, France and England in particular.

We've scored some nice tries, but the attack has looked disjointed at times. The defence still looks good, but the discipline at times has been horrendous, and we still can't adapt to shit refereeing like yesterday. Set piece has been poor at times as well. Some of the new players who came in had pretty tough times, and a few of the more established players look a bit off form at the moment, particularly Zander, Price, McInally and Ritchie for me, and we've still not really got a decent No 8. Russell and Hogg have been pretty patchy as well to be brutally honest, but I also feel even when not at their best they've managed to drag us through most games anyway.

Will need a big improvement for the 6 nations, that's for sure.

Even when we're not firing on all cylinders 

We can beat Japan and Australia and take an impressive South Africa side into the second half 

Anthony Watson has received a one week suspended ban(is injured) after criticising a refs decision on twitter(it was the correct decision IMO). This has brought out the free speech arseholes out of the woodwork defending him.

15 hours ago, ajwffc said:

Anthony Watson has received a one week suspended ban(is injured) after criticising a refs decision on twitter(it was the correct decision IMO). This has brought out the free speech arseholes out of the woodwork defending him.

It's not something I particularly like as I didn't think Watson was personal towards the official or abusive in the tweet. Equally, it was done during the match and he wasn't playing. 

If I was a pro, after this decision there is no way I'd be doing coms or pundit work whilst injured either. 

Edited by flyingscot

Just seen the big rule change went through, but the detail says the player must have a link through birth to that union which I think means no Mercer to Scotland as he was raised here rather than a family connection (why that wouldn't be included I can't work out). 

Good news for the PI though 

35 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Just seen the big rule change went through, but the detail says the player must have a link through birth to that union which I think means no Mercer to Scotland as he was raised here rather than a family connection (why that wouldn't be included I can't work out). 

Good news for the PI though 

I thought eligibility was the same as normal, ie 5 years residence, grandparent etc - given Mercer has played u16 for Scotland that would be enough of a link, if he actually wants to play that is

2 minutes ago, honestly united said:

I thought eligibility was the same as normal, ie 5 years residence, grandparent etc - given Mercer has played u16 for Scotland that would be enough of a link, if he actually wants to play that is

I don't think so. I haven't read the actual law to be fair, but everything round it suggests you either need to have been born in the country or have a strong family link through parents or grandparents. I'm pretty sure Mercer is out for us.

5 minutes ago, honestly united said:

Yeah that was my previous thought which is why I was excited (genuinely thinking Mercer would have been a transformational player for Scotland were he up for it.)

The rule as I've seen it reported seems to be solving a very specific problem re the PI and SANZAR which I guess is fair enough but I don't really see why it couldn't be "anyone you were eligible for at the time that you first/last played for X international team" as this prevents any mercenary potential of someone waiting out residency having already played for another nation.

While not nearly to the same degree NH nations and particularly England will cap players to stop them playing somewhere else (Rodd will be waiting a while for more England caps I'd imagine, for instance, although tbf they never did give Odogwu his single cap so he couldn't play for Italy).

1 minute ago, GAD said:

I don't think so. I haven't read the actual law to be fair, but everything round it suggests you either need to have been born in the country or have a strong family link through parents or grandparents. I'm pretty sure Mercer is out for us.

Aye from what I can see this is it. Even generally why grandparents are considered fine for some people while residency isn't does not make any sense to me but that's a different discussion.